Question Serial number prefixes on Pelagic Pressure Systems MH8A transmitters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also found 2 photos of Tusa transmitters on ebay, also prefix BM. I'm not at all sure how Huish decides to replace transmitter in their service program, perhaps it is the serial number and not the prefix.

1710341188637.png

I found a photo of a Sherwood transmitter on ebay with a BM prefix, the plot thickens

View attachment 831557
View attachment 831558
I have some degree of cautious skepticism ...

The only evidence that it is a Sherwood ST0800 is the seller's statement.
There are no pictures of packaging, despite being listed as "New".
The worn SN (directly on the case, not the label) could be poor manufacturing or that it has been knocking around for a while, even if never wet.
Seller has only 3 Seller feedback entries (and only item listed is a flashlight that does not suggest SCUBA) so not a lot of basis to judge depth of knowledge.

It could be a case of mistaken attribution.

I have some degree of cautious skepticism ...

The only evidence that it is a Sherwood ST0800 is the seller's statement.
There are no pictures of packaging, despite being listed as "New".
The worn SN (directly on the case, not the label) could be poor manufacturing or that it has been knocking around for a while, even if never wet.
Seller has only 3 Seller feedback entries (and only item listed is a flashlight that does not suggest SCUBA) so not a lot of basis to judge depth of knowledge.

It could be a case of mistaken attribution.
I think we may be talking about 2 different listings

I think we are talking about 2 different listings
Nope. That's it. I was curious enough to search for it when I saw your post earlier.

When I saw the listing, I realized that other than what the Seller typed in there was no obvious brand-identifying info.
Only 3 pictures. All just different views of the transmitter itself on the table - no packaging shown.
No history or any corroborating information.
7 Sales, but only 3 seller feedbacks and only 1 that shows what was sold.

I am in no way implying that there is anything nefarious, only that there is no direct, strong proof. In my mind I can conceive a scenario where the seller was "told" it was a Sherwood brand transmitter or used it with a Sherwood computer, looked up "Sherwood Transmitter" saw a picture which was consistent and proceeded as such.

I do like a good analytical rabbit hole and maybe I'm just too cynical in the downhill side of a century ... :wink:

Hi @-JD-

What do you think about the Tusa photo, same thing? I found 2, just posted 1.

I did not use either the Sherwood or Tusa photos to change the spreadsheet but found it interesting.

Has anyone seen an Apeks transmitter? I still keep hoping someone out there has either a Sherwood or a Tusa transmitter and can definitively tell us what the serial number prefix is.

I have sent Huish a nice email asking them how they decide whether a transmitter is part of their service program or not.

I have sent Huish a nice email asking them how they decide whether a transmitter is part of their service program or not.
I requested an RMA from Oceanic to have a transmitter repaired back (I think) in 2022. They didn't ask me what the serial number was, but they told me I needed to provide a receipt or proof of purchase.

I had a transmitter die and Hush issued me an RMA number. The prefix on the transmitter is "FP" and was visible in the picture I sent along with the request. Right now I'm a happy camper I can get a replacement for $120

I requested an RMA from Oceanic to have a transmitter repaired back (I think) in 2022. They didn't ask me what the serial number was, but they told me I needed to provide a receipt or proof of purchase.
I have sent 2 Oceanic MH8A transmitters to Huish for replacement under their service program. The first I had from July 2010-May 2017, 865 dives, a hardware problem. I had the second May 2017-June 2022, 875 dives, over pressure valve went out. I did not have a receipt or proof of purchase for either, simply supplied the serial number. The third transmitter in this line has been in service since June 2022 and has a few less than 200 dives on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom