Question Pelagic Pressure Systems or Shearwater (the Swift) transmitter failures

Cause of Pelagic Pressure Systems or Shearwater (the Swift) transmitter failures

• No failure, own Pelagic Pressure Systems transmitter(s)

Votes: 39 66.1%
  • Yes, PPS presumed over pressure valve

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • Yes, PPS flood presumed battery hatch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, PPS, presumed hardware failure

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Yes, PPS, other, designate in post

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • No failure, own Shearwater transmitter(s)

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Yes, SW presumed over pressure valve

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Yes, SW flood presumed transmitter body

• Yes, SW presumed hardware failure

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Yes, SW other, designate in post

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a PPS transmitter that works OK, but it chews through batteries in just a few days, so I think the pressure switch to turn it off when it is depressurized is broken. I only use the AI for logging info -- I rely on my SPG during the dive, so I may or may not replace it or get it fixed.

Hi @Rearviewmirror

I read your post from Aug 15th, what was the final outcome of that?

This is a second problem with another transmitter? Exactly how is the problem manifest? Please update us with the outcome.

I have been using PPS transmitters for a long time. I had one transmitter that was probably a hardware failure and one that was almost certainly a failure of the over pressure valve. As these were both Oceanic brand, though quite old, they were replaced under the Oceanic/Huish service policy for $120 each.

I have also had 2 failures to display pressure on my Teric, where the pressure was still shown on my Oceanic VT3, demonstrating that the transmitter was still functional. In these cases, it was a failure of the Teric antenna. Without a 2nd AI computer, a clue would be that the Teric and transmitter would still pair when in direct contact but lose pairing when a few inches apart. There is a discussion of this in the Teric repair and replacement thread Teric owners, have you required repair or replacement service?
I think it is likely that this is my issue as well. Unfortunately I had a couple of challenges preventing me from identifying the issue in that I don't have my own tanks, or another AI computer to figure out that this was the issue.

My issue on both transmitters is that the Teric will initially connect on tank pressurization, show the correct pressure, then within 1-2 minutes lose connection and flash "T1 COMMS". I had originally assumed it was the SWIFT transmitter, but unfortunately now it looks a lot more like it was the Teric all along. Sadly DiveTronix couldn't tell me what the issue was with the first transmitter, and said the norm is that they just send them back to Shearwater but never get more details themselves.

I think it is likely that this is my issue as well. Unfortunately I had a couple of challenges preventing me from identifying the issue in that I don't have my own tanks, or another AI computer to figure out that this was the issue.

My issue on both transmitters is that the Teric will initially connect on tank pressurization, show the correct pressure, then within 1-2 minutes lose connection and flash "T1 COMMS". I had originally assumed it was the SWIFT transmitter, but unfortunately now it looks a lot more like it was the Teric all along. Sadly DiveTronix couldn't tell me what the issue was with the first transmitter, and said the norm is that they just send them back to Shearwater but never get more details themselves.
Hi @Rearviewmirror

I'm lucky, I have several ways to tell if I have a transmitter or computer problem. I run two AI computers off a single transmitter and have tanks at home. If only one computer does not display tank pressure, it is probably the computer. If both don't display the pressure, it is probably the transmitter. I also have a spare transmitter and can switch it out to check. There's also the clue regarding the Teric antenna when it will pair in contact and lose pairing when moved away.

In September 2021 I was diving in Florida, and I lost the pressure on just my Teric, my VT3 continued to display the tank pressure. At home, the Teric would pair with the transmitter only when in direct contact or a few inches away. This was a problem with the Teric antenna. In May 2022 I was diving in Belize and lost tank pressure on both computers. Fortunately, I dive with a backup SPG. This was a failure of the transmitter due to the over pressure valve. When I switched out the transmitter, both computers worked normally.

For divers without these resources, I usually suggest they take their computer and transmitter into a local shop, who can do the same testing.

Yup I'm planning to go into my LDS once I get the Teric back (Dive-Tronix have been strangely unresponsive over email the past couple of weeks but maybe they're on vacation!) and make sure it's working ok.

Unfortunately, very small numbers in the poll, but interesting

PPS 8 failures/37=22%
SW 4 failures/18=22%
And yet many people say that wireless integration has reached a point where it's as reliable as an SPG :shakehead:

And yet many people say that wireless integration has reached a point where it's as reliable as an SPG :shakehead:
I've been using a PPS transmitter since 2010, a little over 1800 dives. I have had 2 transmitter failures. The second time, I had a backup to switch out.

During that same period, I have had 4 significant leaks in SPGs, requiring replacement of the spool. The first time I did not have a spool and removed the SPG, after that, I have carried spare spools. I have never had one blow up, but have seen that.

They're both pretty reliable :)

Polls like this are heavily biased due to the fact that they are replied to by active SB members. This poll was specifically titled, transmitter failures

Definitely why I still use an SPG in addition. If my AI fails and it is the only option I have then it’s a fair bit more faff to replace/fix (I didn’t even manage to figure my issue out while in FL let alone somewhere far flung) so while I will miss AI data for the trip, I can still finish both my dive and my whole trip. Worst case if my SPG also failed, any dive store can sell me a barebones SPG and it’s at most one day/dive lost vs a whole trip.

I voted with 2 votes for, NO failure PPS and NO failure SW Swift. My vote did not account for my having 2 x PPS with NO failure issues.
I have 2 PPS, 1 x yellow and 1 x black. Both 4+ years old and 1 Swift approximately 1 year old.

I voted with 2 votes for, NO failure PPS and NO failure SW Swift. My vote did not account for my having 2 x PPS with NO failure issues.
I have 2 PPS, 1 x yellow and 1 x black. Both 4+ years old and 1 Swift approximately 1 year old.
Hi @WETSU Scuba

You are correct, no poll is perfect. I used up all 10 voting options here.

I have 3 votes, YES PPS over pressure valve, YES PPS hardware, and NO PPS. I have 2 other PPS transmitters that have not failed and are unaccounted for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom