My Detailed Initial In-Water Impressions of Garmin Mk3i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question: has your mk2i battery life degraded substantially over time? I have an mk2i and I only charge it to ~80% because I read on the internet that charging it all the way to 100% on a regular basis will wear out the battery prematurely. Years later my battery is like new, but of course I have no idea whether that's because I don't charge it beyond 80%, or whether it would have done just as well even if I was regularly charging it to 100%. As someone who charges to 100%, what have you observed?
I’ve been daily wearing my Mk2i and diving it regularly pretty much since it came out; the battery is a little degraded, but I’m still charging maybe twice per week. That’s with daily wear, 4-5 GPS activities (running, MTB), and probably 2 dives per week.

The biggest difference between the T1 and T2 is the ability to use the diver-to-diver messaging system, which I don’t see as being a useful feature, but maybe someone will prove me wrong.

You can also connect more T2 transmitters to one computer (8 max vs. 5 with the T1). Again, probably fairly useless except for the one or two instructors in this world who will actually buy 8 of these things. (See here for details: Garmin Dive Computer and SubWave Network Air Integration Transmitter Compatibility | Garmin Customer Support)

I will not be buying a T2. In fact, I may buy another T1 as I’m already seeing their prices drop. As I said in the review, the Mk2i/T1 combination worked flawlessly for me over 90 dives, so I’m not exactly aching to upgrade the transmitter.

Thank you for this! In all my research on the Descents to date, I had not seen this compatability chart mentioned anywhere else. I'd assumed you needed to have the specific transmitter for each watch, and knowing that they're cross-compatible is fantastic.
Though I agree that not having it be MH8A compatible is a pity.

Back
Top Bottom