Looking for first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok folks... I've narrowed it down to two...
Mares Puck Pro
Oceanic Geo2

gimme a vote on which one you all have!

Is there a poll for this anywhere!?

If only these two options, the Oceanic Geo 2 without a second thought and by a very WIDE margin, not even close.

I'd still say that the AL i300C is better over all and will save you money since it has Bluetooth support and you won't need the USB cable to download the log to your mobile or computer. The USB cable will set you back around $90.

Note: the Geo 2 is a watch style but the Mares isn't.

Also do bear in mind: WARRANTY.
If a computer is imported from outside the US, it will not have any US warranty. None.
If a computer is bought with the right credit card, you'll get an extra year's warranty extension--but you may have to register it.

And knowing how computers love water...Keep that paperwork on file. This is one of the few things where I'd buy a good 3rd-party warranty extension if I could find one.

If your pockets are deep enough for the Geo 2.0, go for it!

I dive Oceanics. My favorite is the GEO2. It is small enough to replace your watch full time, easy to read, and a capable recreational dive computer.

The i300 maybe cheaper than the i300C but if they are going to download the log from the i300 to their computer, they will have to buy the usb cable. The cost of this cable may make the total price for the i300 very close to the cost of the i300c that doesn't need the cable since it has the Bluetooth connectivity. It appears that the i300C may be the best value and less costly at the end.
None of my buddies and I had ever wasted any money on a download cable!! Would we pay extra for a useless feature ie. Bluetooth? Certainly NOT.

Does seem like the Puck Pro will do anything the others will do. Or is there something missing from the feature set?

Alarm just as loud as the others?

Display equally clear, mineral glass instead of plastic...
And if it is the wrong computer, at least it isn't an expensive mistake, relatively.

I had a geo 2 and the battery leaked everywhere within about a dozen dives, they warrantied it (took 4 months or so) and I now use it as a backup because i bought a new computer since I wasn't totally sure they were gonna do anything about it.
its a good computer. I probably got one that had been sitting on the shelf for a long ass time but Id still replace the battery as soon as you get it. a replacement for mine was only a few dollars

None of my buddies and I had ever wasted any money on a download cable!! Would we pay extra for a useless feature ie. Bluetooth? Certainly NOT.

Most people would want to download their dive log from their computers, the only way to do it is to have either a physical connection between the dive computer and their mobile/pc via a cable or some sort of a wireless connection Bluetooth or infer-red or the like. For these people who want to keep a proper log and analyze their log or for any other reason, they must have this connection. In short, this feature isn't "useless" for them and, in fact, very necessary and indispensable.

If only these two options, the Oceanic Geo 2 without a second thought and by a very WIDE margin, not even close.

I'd still say that the AL i300C is better over all and will save you money since it has Bluetooth support and you won't need the USB cable to download the log to your mobile or computer. The USB cable will set you back around $90.

Note: the Geo 2 is a watch style but the Mares isn't.

Bluetooth vs a cable is an issue of how you work with the computer out of the water. I feel that how it works in the water is a higher priority. I would choose the Geo 2 over any Aqualung computer because of how it works in the water - specifically, the algorithm that it lets you use that no Aqualung computer offers.

I would spend the extra for the data cable rather than have the Aqualung with more convenient (or less expensive) downloading but also only one algorithm, which is also more limiting to NDLs than the DSAT algorithm that the Geo 2 also offers.

Back
Top Bottom