Decisions on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaMan

Registered
Reaction score
So after reading around on the board, trying out some different gear, and setting aside a decent amount of money, I settled on getting the HOG Total BCD Scuba Gear system.

HOG Total BCD Scuba Gear System Package

The package comes with the Mares Puck Pro+ dive computer. I am debating selling this computer for around $200 and putting that money toward an air integrated computer. However, I do not know if an AI computer is needed at my skill level and any AI computer I get would probably need to be around $600-$700 w/ transmitter (before adding in the $200 sale of the Puck Pro+). At that price point w/ transmitter it is looking like the Mares Smart Air or the Suunto Vyper Novo ($600 and $700 w/ military discount). Do you think that computer's such as these in this price point are worth it? (I do not need a color screen or anything, I would just want mainly the AI. I do know that the algorithms used probably need to be factored in)

Also I am only recently open water certified and I am not doing any kind of advanced diving currently. Advanced open water maybe in my future at some point, but that maybe a while. The main things I am looking to do is spear fishing and lobstering where I live in FL. I think AI would be nice to help me track my air consumption and overall improve my diving. However, the AI feature is a decent chunk of change. I am set up with all the essentials for diving (wetsuit included), but still would like to get the spear fishing essentials (need to do more research on what all that is, I know a spear gun is one lol). I have the funds to get a speargun, but for the cost of the AI and nicer computer, I could do my advanced open water or get a nice light and other items for spear fishing. So my other option is to just keep the Puck Pro+ and maybe see if I grow into a fancier computer. I think the Puck Pro+ would be sufficient, yet the AI would be nice. What do you all think? I appreciate any input.

Is an AI computer required at your level? No, it’s not required at any level. In fact as you get into certain types of diving, some people are actually less likely to buy such things. Like lots of gear it’s a “would be nice” for some people. If I had to choose between a much fancier computer and getting other gear I needed, I would skip the fancy computer for now. Your needs and desires will likely change. If you find you still want a fancy computer later, it probably won’t be the same as what appeals now. And you can keep your first one as a backup.

Note that as you get experience, you may find yourself less preoccupied with air consumption.

I would play around with a peregrine or perdix AI before you spend the money on a suunto.
I'd avoid Suunto like the plague.

For recreational diving, I'd look at the Shearwater Peregrine or the Deep 6 Excursion (or similar variants depending on where one is in the world).

I would play around with a peregrine or perdix AI before you spend the money on a suunto.

I will second this suggestion.

It can be hard to find a shop that stocks Shearwater, but worth it when you do.

I don't recall HOG being at the top of many recommended dive computer lists since being on here, but it looks like this may be part of a package. I don't like packages.

I agree to look at the Peregrine. If you do a search you'll find Shearwater is far and away the most recommended and liked.

Is an AI computer required at your level? No, it’s not required at any level. * * * I would skip the fancy computer for now. Your needs and desires will likely change. If you find you still want a fancy computer later, it probably won’t be the same as what appeals now. And you can keep your first one as a backup.
I generally agree with this. My son and I have had the Mares Puck Pro + for over 2 years now, and its been a good first computer for us -- does everything that a new recreational diver needs and then some. One caveat is that the Puck's strength (simplicity) is also its weakness -- just having one button can be a pain at times, having to cycle through menus and wait for it to time out sometimes. If you were to find a Mares Smart for a good rate, I might be inclined to go with that over the Puck -- and then you can add A.I. at a later time if you want (personally, A.I. is not really worth the price to me).

So after reading around on the board, trying out some different gear, and setting aside a decent amount of money, I settled on getting the HOG Total BCD Scuba Gear system.

HOG Total BCD Scuba Gear System Package

The package comes with the Mares Puck Pro+ dive computer. I am debating selling this computer for around $200 and putting that money toward an air integrated computer. However, I do not know if an AI computer is needed at my skill level and any AI computer I get would probably need to be around $600-$700 w/ transmitter (before adding in the $200 sale of the Puck Pro+). At that price point w/ transmitter it is looking like the Mares Smart Air or the Suunto Vyper Novo ($600 and $700 w/ military discount). Do you think that computer's such as these in this price point are worth it? (I do not need a color screen or anything, I would just want mainly the AI. I do know that the algorithms used probably need to be factored in)

Also I am only recently open water certified and I am not doing any kind of advanced diving currently. Advanced open water maybe in my future at some point, but that maybe a while. The main things I am looking to do is spear fishing and lobstering where I live in FL. I think AI would be nice to help me track my air consumption and overall improve my diving. However, the AI feature is a decent chunk of change. I am set up with all the essentials for diving (wetsuit included), but still would like to get the spear fishing essentials (need to do more research on what all that is, I know a spear gun is one lol). I have the funds to get a speargun, but for the cost of the AI and nicer computer, I could do my advanced open water or get a nice light and other items for spear fishing. So my other option is to just keep the Puck Pro+ and maybe see if I grow into a fancier computer. I think the Puck Pro+ would be sufficient, yet the AI would be nice. What do you all think? I appreciate any input.

I just purchased a Ratio IX3M Pro from dive store at France, they have good discounts on Ratio dive computers with PayPal option and reasonable shipping rate. I have no connection or affiliation whatsoever but they are very responsive and helpful.

You can easily buy a trimix capable computer which is using both algorithms and a transmitter combo with your budget. In the future if you want to expand your diving limits that will work work you.

Ratio dive computers Ratio - DIVEAVENUE

I ACTUALLY own a Suunto Cobra A/I computer. I have been diving it for over 20 years and it has never failed me or locked me out or shortened any dives. You don't need a big fancy expensive computer right now, get some experience first so you can make an informed decision on what you want in a computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom