Decisions on a Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd been debating getting either a Shearwater Teric or Perdix AI for a while.
I finally went for the Perdix AI for the following reasons:
  1. The Teric is a daily use item which needs to be recharged at least every other day. That's too much trouble for a dive computer. I'd much rather have a regular mechanical watch or a smart watch for that purpose. The Perdix you just switch on when you need to use it, so the 40 hour battery life can last for several weeks of diving.
  2. The Teric comes with a wrist strap, which to me is less convenient for diving. The Perdix's elasticated straps or bungees are easier to use with different types of suits.
  3. If you're caught with a low battery on a dive boat (maybe because it didn't sit in its cradle correctly over night), there's nothing you can do with the Teric. With the Perdix, you just put in a new AA battery, and you're good to go.
  4. The screen is bigger, allowing it to contain more info while still being readable, or has generally better legibility (even though the resolution is lower than that of the Teric).
While I like the Teric (a lot), for me the Perdix is more practical as a dive computer. I just wish it had haptic feedback. I switched all the beeping alarms off on mine. That also promotes the good habit of checking your DC more often, instead of relying on alarms to alert you.

The Teric is a daily use item which needs to be recharged at least every other day. That's too much trouble for a dive computer.

I charge my Teric every 3-4 days on a dive trip. Nothing says you need to replace your EDC watch with it. Mine gets put away after the dives, with my Suunto smartwatch being what I keep on my wrist when not diving.

The Teric comes with a wrist strap, which to me is less convenient for diving. The Perdix's elasticated straps...

You can put Perdix straps on the Teric, that is what I use.

If you're caught with a low battery on a dive boat (maybe because it didn't sit in its cradle correctly over night), there's nothing you can do with the Teric.

They make power banks with built in Qi chargers that work with the Teric. I carry one everytime. I use it to keep my phone charged in addition to charging the Teric if it needs it.

I currently use 6 different computers, for 3 different sets of circumstances. The only thing I ever change is the nitrox percentage. I do not need an intuitive UI. I grab a box with the correct gear for the day, that is it.
I should have caught this earlier, but you are a dive pro, right? With your own business. Do you not dive daily then? Multiple dives per day? Do you just not track nitrogen loading day to day?

<Mod Edit>
If you see an issue, resist the temptation to fire back. Take a deep breath and click the Report button. The Mods will have an easier time
cleaning up.[/Mod]
If I do that, I'll bite a hole through my lower lip! :rofl3::stirpot::wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom