Apple Watch Ultra and Oceanic+ App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going with a Shearwater Perdix 2.

Another option would be to get the Apple Watch Ultra at first, considering that you're already an Apple guy. The AWU only costs $270 more than an equivalent non-ultra, and it also adds lots of cool “normal” features.

That's a fraction of the cost of the Perdix, and the AWU covers you to 130' (actually to 144' - when you ascend back to 130', it resumes normal readouts after pausing between 130'-144').

There are other advantages… You keep the AWU as a backup device, after you add a Perdix. That way, you get extra features like phone calls & maps at the surface, alongside the Perdix as main DC. And you get extra time to react to upcoming dive computer advances before committing the major Perdix cash.

You keep the AWU as a backup device, after you add a Perdix. You get extra features like phone calls & maps at the surface, even with the Perdix as main DC. And you get extra time to watch upcoming dive computer developments before dropping the major Perdix cash.

That is exactly my path. Upgraded to the AWU mostly for open water swimming tracking, with dive computer functionality being a secondary bonus feature. When I lucked into a used Perdix AI, the AWU became the backup. Lack of AI on the AWU is one of the biggest drawbacks, along with the depth limitation, but as a backup computer it's adequate for my purposes even with paying a few bucks for the subscription - the alternative would be to buy a Deep6 Excursion if I didn't have the AWU.

On a side note does it bother anyone else that the Oceanic+ app on iOS shows "Cumulative Total Depth" on its home screen?

On a side note does it bother anyone else that the Oceanic+ app on iOS shows "Cumulative Total Depth" on its home screen?
It’s accurate data but has no value other than taking up space so that the display design is symmetric. Would be much nicer to see average RMV, but that would take gas usage tracking of course. Log book needs a bit of work, I think, before it can even come close to compete with Macdive etc..

Curious what your, and others' experience was with moving the crown.
I suggest you check how you may have bent your hand upward. I noticed the same thing with my crown, but then I discovered that I’d bent my hand upward, and that put the underside of the crown into contact with my wrist, which interfered with rotation.

Once I unbent my wrist, everything was fine. Maybe even bend your hand down a bit.

Interestingly, [the Oceanic rep’s] comments on future AI for the Ultra seems quite positive.
Thanks for that link, which I somehow missed earlier! I was also surprised that rhe rep didn’t avoid the question about future AI. It sounded like that’s part of Oceanic’s roadmap.

Also, I hadn’t heard about Oceanic’s upcoming (“Summer 2023”) iPhone housing that integrates with their AWU DC interface. It puts the DC interface in the corner of the camera preview. Sort of a heads-up display. iPhone cameras are so good these days – looks like a really interesting photo/video option.

IMG_2562.jpeg

IMG_2561.jpeg

Actually, no. He went to the Perdix because he wanted a longer-term solution, suitable for tech diving. It wasn't a switch because of the Oceanic subscription.
OK. Whatever. You added the [re: subscriptions], that wasn't in my quote.

I didn't imply that he went to the Perdix 2 for one reason or another. I just was having a little fun indicating that he was going to a more dedicated computer, and IMO a better computer.

You are real quick to jump in whenever someone says anything that may be perceived as negative toward the AWU. Glad that it works for you. It is not a good solution for every diver. I do see the use for some divers. It wouldn't be ideal for me, but I do see the market for it.

OK. Whatever. You added the [re: subscriptions], that wasn't in my quote.

That’s what the square brackets are for. It’s an editing convention, used to indicate a clarifying addition, after the fact.

You are real quick to jump in whenever someone says anything that may be perceived as negative toward the AWU.

Somehow, I also get the impression that you have a message about subscription plans. Maybe it’s my imagination…

[The Apple Watch Ultra] is not a good solution for every diver.
Never said that. In fact, I’ve repeatedly pointed out that it doesn’t work for deeper/technical diving.

That’s what the square brackets are for. It’s an editing convention, used to indicate an addition, after the fact.
You've missed the point. My comment did not imply anything about the reason for the poster choosing the Perdix 2 over the AWU. Your addition is your inference, but it wasn't what I said, nor intended to imply.
Somehow I also get the ongoing impression that you’re not enthused about subscriptions. Maybe it’s my imagination…
It is your imagination, sort of. The subscription is not for me, but I'm not their target customer.
I have said on many occasions that the subscription makes a lot of sense for some divers. Apple Watch users are the main prerequisite, otherwise the cost of hardware and subscription makes no sense. So starting with an AW user that dives on occasion, the AWU makes a ton of sense. I've posted in one of these threads that the subscription cost sure beats renting a computer on a trip. At least with the AWU, the diver is going to gain familiarity. But, I understand that it's not for every diver. In fact, I'd say it's not for the majority of divers on this board. That doesn't mean that it doesn't have a place.

It is your imagination, sort of. The subscription is not for me, but I'm not their target customer.

Apparently, my “imagination” is not vivid:

IMG_2563.jpeg

Apparently, my “imagination” is not vivid:
I can explain it to you. I can't understand it for you.

I never implied that the reason he went to the Perdix was the subscription. I only said that he has seen the light. I didn't even say which brand he went to, but I knew it was a Shearwater. It was a joke to Marie. See the emoji at the end?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom