Apple Watch Ultra and Oceanic+ App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That seems very high to me unless you're doing an awful lot of swimming. I just looked at a recent bicycle ride: 34K with a total riding time of 1:44, average heart rate of 119 BPM and only 665 active calories. (This was a casual ride, not a workout.)

By the same token, on a day that I did three 50 minute dives from a live aboard I got credited with 1260 active calories. And I hardly swim at all. (It's not a lap pool, right?) I wore the watch over a Sharkskin rash guard, so I know heart rate wasn't being measured.

I'm glad the watch gives you some workout credit for diving, but I'd like to know how the active calories are being calculated.
The quoted figure for burned calories mainly comes from your body using energy to maintain internal temp, not energy consumed swimming

So I am at a point I really need to buy a computer. I can trade my Apple Watch 8 in and get the Ultra but there seem to be a lot of people saying it is crap. I am more than anything an Apple fanboy but want a computer I can rely on when I am diving. So question is with the 1.1 update the the Ultra take a step forward and can it be recommended or should I look at another computer?

So I am at a point I really need to buy a computer. I can trade my Apple Watch 8 in and get the Ultra but there seem to be a lot of people saying it is crap. I am more than anything an Apple fanboy but want a computer I can rely on when I am diving. So question is with the 1.1 update the the Ultra take a step forward and can it be recommended or should I look at another computer?
I've been using it for a few dives in conjunction with a Shearwater. For rec depths ensuring you don't bust the 40m limit it's worked very well and the digital compass is great. The only concern for me is not having information to safely end my dive should I end up below the limit where it locks you out. All in all I'd be comfortable using it as my only computer, dependent on where I was diving and planned depth.

So question is with the 1.1 update the the Ultra take a step forward and can it be recommended or should I look at another computer?

What "1.1 update" are you talking about? AWU is definitely not "crap," and a large majority of the dive-related reviews are excellent. If you need coverage below the rec dive limit of 130'/40m, then you need something else.

What "1.1 update" are you talking about? AWU is definitely not "crap," and a large majority of the dive-related reviews are excellent. If you need coverage below the rec dive limit of 130'/40m, then you need something else.
Oceanic+ came out with the 1.1.0 update last week to the app. I did not mean to imply the AWU was crap, there are just a lot of complaints about the limit. Bottom line is I just want to be safe

Bottom line is I just want to be safe

If you dive beyond the rec diving limit (130'), you need a different device. As for safety, the consensus seems to be "as safe as anything else."

If you dive beyond the rec diving limit (130'), you need a different device. As for safety, the consensus seems to be "as safe as anything else."
Thank you that is great info. Not sure why I would need to dive below 130' so I am back to looking at an AWU

Just came across this interview with Nick Hollis from Oceanic about the Oceanic+ app (posted November last year).

Interestingly, his comments on future AI for the Ultra seems quite positive. So far, gas usage are the main missing data points for the app, not even manual entry is available yet.

Thank you that is great info. Not sure why I would need to dive below 130' so I am back to looking at an AWU
You want to pay the subscription price for the Oceanic app? I certainly wouldn’t want to pay that on top of the Watch cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom