Apple Watch Ultra and Oceanic+ App

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I just spent four days on a live aboard in the North Andaman (Thailand) with an Apple Watch Ultra and the Oceanic+ iPhone app. I had a Zoop Novo with me for comparison and backup. I used the pair for both Enriched Air and Air dives. I had the Watch set to the most conservative setting (PPO2 1.40 and GF 70/85).

Although the Oceanic+ software performed basic functions well, I have a few quibbles:

• The GPS location feature is somewhat useless if you don't have Internet. There is, AFAIK, no way to download maps in advance. So, at the end of the dive you are (usually) presented with entry and exit points on a blank screen with no indication as to scale or location (coordinates?). At the price they're charging to rent this app they ought to offer pre-dive map downloads. Other apps (GPS Tracks and WorkOutDoors to name a couple) offer this feature. The storage required for reasonably high resolution maps is quite small. When you do finally get Internet the dive location is kind of messed up. I think this is an Apple Maps problem. For example, dives at Koh Tachai Pinnacle were shown as starting and ending on dry land on Tachai island. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

• The GPS location feature often fails to display entry/exit points at all; even when you have entered and surfaced with clear skies and what should be a clean view of several GPS satellites. When this happens you just get a plain white "map" with no error message or other indication as to what went wrong.

• Sometimes my wife has difficulty clearing her ears and hangs around two meters. When I realize this, I ascend, slowly, to her location (like a good buddy) and wait for her to resume her descent. For reasons not clear to me when I resumed my descent (at 2 or 3 meters) the app went through the "I'm fit and Ready to Dive" routine again. As a result this single dive was recorded as two dives; the first one very short and the second starting at 2 to 3 meters. The Zoom Novo recorded the entire dive as one, as it should.

• The app, as far as I could see, does not display surface interval in the log book.

• The log book has no place to record beginning and ending tank pressure except in the Notes section which seems kind of lame.

During dives the Watch and the Novo were quite close including no deco time. The Novo is much more conservative with No Fly time. When I boarded the plane in Phuket the Watch said it was OK to fly, but the Novo wanted five more hours.

After I got home I used the AWU2UDDF app to export Health Kit data from the Watch to UDDF files which I then imported into Subsurface. This worked well although it is a bit tedious to have to export each dive separately. Since the Oceanic app only exports date, time, depth and temperature to Health Kit, you don't get any other logbook info that you may have entered.

Will I rent this app again? Not really sure. When actually diving, I really like the display, notifications (including sounds and hepatics) that the Watch offers. On the other hand, exporting data (to Subsurface, which I've used for years) is quite tedious. Easier to use the Zoop Novo.

Thanks for the report. I too have just started using the Ultra as a dive computer and used it for my advanced and nitrox certifications over the last couple of weeks.
I had the same frustrations with dives ending above 2m. On our navigation dive, which was a shore dive at max 4m, the Oceanic app recorded 18 separate dives. i discussed this with the instructor who was wearing a Shearwater and she explained that her DC and most others she knew of had a surface interval variable that could be adjusted to deal with situations like that.
I emailed Oceanic about this (and other bugs I found) 10 days ago, no reply at all.
I think the hardware is fine and display is easy enough to read, compass works well too. Looking forward to Apple opening up their API to other developers. Will be happy to drop Oceanic app.

Hi @Buadhai @astr0b0y

Oceanic+ needs a reasonable end dive time or an end dive setting

My 13 year old Oceanic VT3 has a 10 minute transition time before a new dive is started upon descent. It cannot be changed
1677595141173.png

My Shearwater Teric has an end dive setting from 10 sec to 10 min. I was burnt on one dive when it was still at the factory default of 10 sec. I changed it to 10 min, it matches my VT3. If for some reason I needed to end the dive prior to 10, that can be done
1677595370005.png
1677595399127.png

Does Oceanic+ have a user's manual where you might be able to look up such things? I wrote Oceanic a while ago and they did not have one, not sure they intended on having one.

Thanks for the report. I too have just started using the Ultra as a dive computer and used it for my advanced and nitrox certifications over the last couple of weeks.
I had the same frustrations with dives ending above 2m. On our navigation dive, which was a shore dive at max 4m, the Oceanic app recorded 18 separate dives. i discussed this with the instructor who was wearing a Shearwater and she explained that her DC and most others she knew of had a surface interval variable that could be adjusted to deal with situations like that.
I emailed Oceanic about this (and other bugs I found) 10 days ago, no reply at all.
I think the hardware is fine and display is easy enough to read, compass works well too. Looking forward to Apple opening up their API to other developers. Will be happy to drop Oceanic app.
Computer ending the dive at 2 meters - is this a function for snorkelers? If you're at 2 meters you must be a snorkeler now?

Sometimes my wife has difficulty clearing her ears and hangs around two meters. When I realize this, I ascend, slowly, to her location (like a good buddy) and wait for her to resume her descent. For reasons not clear to me when I resumed my descent (at 2 or 3 meters) the app went through the "I'm fit and Ready to Dive" routine again. As a result this single dive was recorded as two dives; the first one very short and the second starting at 2 to 3 meters. The Zoom Novo recorded the entire dive as one, as it should.

Thanks for the review and details of oddities. I'm also planning on diving with the watch in April with an old Mares puck as backup. This particular oddity seems really annoying. I was just reading Oceanic's FAQs and they claim that's not what the behavior should be... I wonder if it was something they fixed recently?:

Once you reach three feet from the surface, Oceanic+ will show you a prompt asking if you are finished with your dive and the app will automatically begin a 3-minute countdown. You can press the action button to end the dive which activates surface mode. Or if you are not done diving, you can begin a descent and the app will switch back to dive mode.​

Thanks so much for the detailed review. It does seem like most (all?) of the problems you refer to are fixable in software, so hopefully it will get refined with time.

I’ve reported to Oceanic already the issue that they finish the dive at 1m instead of surface.

In case, you want to export Oceanic+ dives to UDDF, you may use my just released App Dive Converter (iOS and macOS): ‎Dive Converter

Then you can set all kinds of fields in the dive logbook app of your choice for your Oceanic+ dives.

I’ve reported to Oceanic already the issue that they finish the dive at 1m instead of surface.

In case, you want to export Oceanic+ dives to UDDF, you may use my just released App Dive Converter (iOS and macOS): ‎Dive Converter

Then you can set all kinds of fields in the dive logbook app of your choice for your Oceanic+ dives.
Great the Dive Converter app is available as Oceanic+ only keeps logs up to 12 months old!

It was disappointing to hear about the feature gaps. But considering that the Oceanic software is just 2.5 months old (released late November), I'm guessing there's a lot of stuff on their to-do list.

I'm also guessing that updates will take more time than for some other apps, because bugs are much less acceptable on a dive computer, than say, Angry Birds 2. But my guess is that the app will end up looking quite good.

Back
Top Bottom