Looking for first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would love to buy from a US source if their pricing was even remotely close the the UK site. Even with shipping, it is roughly $200 cheaper! I have to support the UK as well... British Petroleum is who we retired from and they've treated us well! I don't mind paying to the UK!
Phone them. They have to be careful of scammers. They are a real shop, I was there getting fills this morning.

Check the new AL i100 computer, it has everything you need but no Bluetooth and no back-lighting.

i100 Dive Computer - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

I believe that it is a much better value than the Zoop Novo with a more liberal algorithm.

Little extra money, I'd recommend the new i300C from AL (Bluetooth connection so no need for USB cable to download the log. Back-lighting for night and low visibility conditions so you don't need to shine your dive light on the computer screen to read it and 3 Mix capability):
i300C Dive Computer - Aqua Lung US - Recreational and Professional Scuba Diving Gear

Last edited:
I had a Suunto Zoop and did not like it. The algorithm is non standard and very conservative and does not match the NDLs of most other brands. I think the i100 mentioned above is worth looking into. It's Z+ algorithm is middle of the road.

I would love to buy from a US source if their pricing was even remotely close the the UK site. Even with shipping, it is roughly $200 cheaper! I have to support the UK as well... British Petroleum is who we retired from and they've treated us well! I don't mind paying to the UK!
Will there be import duties to pay?

As a Canadian I buy lots of stuff from the US. Some times duty is prepaid, sometimes I receive things with no need to pay duty or taxes.

Will there be import duties to pay?

As a Canadian I buy lots of stuff from the US. Some times duty is prepaid, sometimes I receive things with no need to pay duty or taxes.

A dive computer would possibly be considered a digital watch. Those are duty free. If it was considered classified under the computer chapter in the US tariff, much of that chapter is duty free (I deal with this sort of thing for work).

Could be that Mares’ free (and poorly reviewed) software doesn’t work with Macs. The well-reviewed, $25 MacDive (free trial is available) connects seamlessly with the Puck Pro. Lots of nice features including the ability to identify different users by their dive computer. (My wife and I each have a Puck Pro) You can add photos and all kinds of other info to you logs quite easily. Of course you also need to buy the $50 USB interface but I believe this is required for most inexpensive DCs.

You have to buy the cable for the Suunto as well. Will dig deeper now. Thanks!

Divers Supply has the old i300 at $199.95.
Buy Current Specials at Divers Supply

Divers Direct is slightly cheaper!
Divers Direct - Shop Scuba Gear and Dive Equipment

The i300 maybe cheaper than the i300C but if they are going to download the log from the i300 to their computer, they will have to buy the usb cable. The cost of this cable may make the total price for the i300 very close to the cost of the i300c that doesn't need the cable since it has the Bluetooth connectivity. It appears that the i300C may be the best value and less costly at the end.

ok folks... I've narrowed it down to two...
Mares Puck Pro
Oceanic Geo2

gimme a vote on which one you all have!

Is there a poll for this anywhere!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom