Looking for first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessejana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Husband and wife, will only be doing recreational diving 2-3 times a year. When getting OW certification we had the type of computer that was attached to the reg and bcd.

One requirement I have is lower cost. Next most important requirement would be software can download to a mac/apple.

I have already struck off the Mares Puck because it doesn't like mac. Thoughts on the Zoop Novo Computer, the Geo 2.0 Dive Computer and the AquaLung i300 Dive Computer.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Last edited:
The Zoop will be fine, but that is a terrible price. Here it is rather cheaper (£140 plus shipping you)

Suunto Zoop Novo Dive Computer Lime

Aqualung also do low cost entry level computers, although those look quite expensive there too. Personally I do not like the single button computers but if you want two and don’t want to spend a lot they are cheapest.

The Zoop will be fine, but that is a terrible price. Here it is rather cheaper (£140 plus shipping you)

Suunto Zoop Novo Dive Computer Lime

Aqualung also do low cost entry level computers, although those look quite expensive there too. Personally I do not like the single button computers but if you want two and don’t want to spend a lot they are cheapest.

Thanks for the lower cost link. Having problems completing purchase but have sent an email. I will wait to get the price they offer! That's certain!

Looked at a few more youtube review of the Zoop and I think it will be better for us - ease of use!

Really appreciate your suggestion Ken!

What gives you the impression that the Puck doesn’t like Mac? My Puck Pro plays very nicely with my MacBook Pro using either the free Subsurface or the cheap (and in my opinion very good) Macdive.

Geo is good, but interface isn’t that user friendly and is more expensive.

Thanks for the lower cost link. Having problems completing purchase but have sent an email. I will wait to get the price they offer! That's certain!

Looked at a few more youtube review of the Zoop and I think it will be better for us - ease of use!

Really appreciate your suggestion Ken!

Ken’s suggested link was to a UK diving site. The OP is in Texas. OP, buy from a US source.

What gives you the impression that the Puck doesn’t like Mac? My Puck Pro plays very nicely with my MacBook Pro using either the free Subsurface or the cheap (and in my opinion very good) Macdive.

In reading the specs on the Puck Pro it says it does not work with Mac/Apple... that's where I read it. Please tell me more about your downloads. I have a MacBook Air.

Ken’s suggested link was to a UK diving site. The OP is in Texas. OP, buy from a US source.

I would love to buy from a US source if their pricing was even remotely close the the UK site. Even with shipping, it is roughly $200 cheaper! I have to support the UK as well... British Petroleum is who we retired from and they've treated us well! I don't mind paying to the UK!

In reading the specs on the Puck Pro it says it does not work with Mac/Apple... that's where I read it. Please tell me more about your downloads. I have a MacBook Air.

Could be that Mares’ free (and poorly reviewed) software doesn’t work with Macs. The well-reviewed, $25 MacDive (free trial is available) connects seamlessly with the Puck Pro. Lots of nice features including the ability to identify different users by their dive computer. (My wife and I each have a Puck Pro) You can add photos and all kinds of other info to you logs quite easily. Of course you also need to buy the $50 USB interface but I believe this is required for most inexpensive DCs.

Bought my wife and daughter these this past xmass and then did 12 dives....they liked very much!

Suunto Vyper Wrist Computer, Silver

They have the Puck on sale for $139.00!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom