Looking for first dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bluetooth vs a cable is an issue of how you work with the computer out of the water. I feel that how it works in the water is a higher priority. I would choose the Geo 2 over any Aqualung computer because of how it works in the water - specifically, the algorithm that it lets you use that no Aqualung computer offers.

I would spend the extra for the data cable rather than have the Aqualung with more convenient (or less expensive) downloading but also only one algorithm, which is also more limiting to NDLs than the DSAT algorithm that the Geo 2 also offers.
We've had this conversation over and over again on SB. Many divers know nothing about the various decompression algorithms and the differences between them. I generally encourage buyers to learn some before they make their purchase, mainly to avoid buyer's remorse.

Bluetooth vs a cable is an issue of how you work with the computer out of the water. I feel that how it works in the water is a higher priority. I would choose the Geo 2 over any Aqualung computer because of how it works in the water - specifically, the algorithm that it lets you use that no Aqualung computer offers.

I would spend the extra for the data cable rather than have the Aqualung with more convenient (or less expensive) downloading but also only one algorithm, which is also more limiting to NDLs than the DSAT algorithm that the Geo 2 also offers.

In the most part, if they spend more, they will get more features and it won't stop until they get in over $1K range, where does it stop? The OP was asking about very low budget computer. The i300C is somewhere in the middle. I don't the great value in the DSAT algorithm frankly to justify the increased price. The current algorithm in the AL diver computers is a middle of the road algorithm that doesn't penalize the user as the algorithm in the Mares/Cressi/Suunto yet not a radical liberal as the story with DSAT. DSAT value appears to be limited to a very narrow range of depth and frequency of diving where the AL computer appears to be balanced type.

In the most part, if they spend more, they will get more features and it won't stop until they get in over $1K range, where does it stop? The OP was asking about very low budget computer. The i300C is somewhere in the middle. I don't the great value in the DSAT algorithm frankly to justify the increased price. The current algorithm in the AL diver computers is a middle of the road algorithm that doesn't penalize the user as the algorithm in the Mares/Cressi/Suunto yet not a radical liberal as the story with DSAT. DSAT value appears to be limited to a very narrow range of depth and frequency of diving where the AL computer appears to be balanced type.
Hi Burhan,

We have had similar exchanges many, many times. PZ+ is middle of the road to conservative. I agree that it would be preferable to any of the RGBM algorithms, Suunto, Mares, Cressi. I could never dive PZ+ after diving DSAT. When my 8 year old VT3 finally dies, I will switch to Buhlmann with GF, with which I have a fair amount of experience. Initial purchase price is not everything, ultimate satisfaction is worth more. It's really a shame that the Aqua Lung computer line is handicapped by the loss of the DSAT algorithm. They are obviously trying to make up for this with their marketing power. That probably works quite well with the ignorant.

Husband and wife, will only be doing recreational diving 2-3 times a year.

Where and for how long? Tropics, ice? 4-day long weekends? 10-day trips?

It's really a shame that the Aqua Lung computer line is handicapped by the loss of the DSAT algorithm. They are obviously trying to make up for this with their marketing power. That probably works quite well with the ignorant.

Perhaps, after buying out PPS, they know something we don't know yet about what is and what isn't going to be available in the market? Although I agree that a computer with GF adjustment capability will give the user far more power in their ability to adjust the computer, it isn't something that should be given to the average diver to play with. The greater majority of divers out there don't know what that is all about and won't know how to handle it.

You can argue about having the choice with two algorithms but this isn't something that many people will be willing to pay more for it, when will you stop paying more money for more features? Perhaps for you and I diving is a "main squeeze" type of activity (for me it is only activity outside work) and are willing to spend $$$$ to get what we want because we know what we want and understand why and dive often enough to justify it (at least we try to dive often enough). If the OP has not problem paying more for the GEO2 just to have the DSAT and pay even more for the USB cable and is willing to make the investment, more power to them. In fact, if they can, why not spend more money and buy an AI (SW, Ratio, G2)? If a choice between the Geo2 and the Mares Puck (or any Mares, Cressi or Suunto), there is not contest at all, the Geo2 without a second thought. If it is a choice between the Geo2 and the AL i300C, then the prospective buyer must consider the total cost of ownership and compare apples to apples to make sure that they are getting what they want and are aware of the cost. If they are aware of the total cost to have DSAT and PZ+ and the extra costs that goes with it in addition to screen size difference and can afford it and are willing to pay it, God bless them and it won't be a wrong choice at all. If they are counting their pennies and are very budget minded and weigh everything exactly, then they need to look, again, at all costs and make their decision. Buying i300C because it meets their budget demands, there is nothing wrong with that and they won't regret it. Buying a Mares Puck is a very bad decision, at least for me, and I'd regret it and I'd wish that I skipped a couple of meals and saved money to buy a DC with better algorithm.

Last edited:
Most people would want to download their dive log from their computers, the only way to do it is to have either a physical connection between the dive computer and their mobile/pc via a cable or some sort of a wireless connection Bluetooth or infer-red or the like. For these people who want to keep a proper log and analyze their log or for any other reason, they must have this connection. In short, this feature isn't "useless" for them and, in fact, very necessary and indispensable.
Most people would want to down load.... Most divers that I dive with don't even write log book and the rest simply refer to the built-in log book in the computer.
Is down load feature necessary and indispensable? Depend who you asked!

Most people would want to down load.... Most divers that I dive with don't even write log book and the rest simply refer to the built-in log book in the computer.
Is down load feature necessary and indispensable? Depend who you asked!

I don't keep a paper logbook myself. I have been keeping electronic logbook by downloading my dive computer to my laptop for ages now. Most of the time I just add the location of dive and the tank's size and move on. I add the full information for the dives I do with my students. The computers I know have a finite dive-log memory and the diver has to download their dives from the computer before these dives are erased to make room for new dives. There are all types of divers out there even the ones that have no clue what their computer is telling them :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom