How old is Your Regulator & Oldest lasting Regulator ??

How old is your oldest Functional Regulator

• 3 years

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 4 yr

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • 5 yr

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • 6 yr

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 7 yr

Votes: 11 7.6%
  • 8 yr

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • 9 yr

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 10 yr

Votes: 14 9.7%
  • 10 -15 yr

Votes: 24 16.7%
  • 15 -20 yr

Votes: 15 10.4%
  • 20 - 30 yr

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • 30+ yr

Votes: 20 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still own the original Scubapro Mk 3 High Performance I started diving with in 1985 and I own several Scubapro Mk 10 Balanced Adjustables, some dating to the same era.

The Mk 10 is a great performer and is really bullet proof, is easy to maintain and has a very simple first stage design with only a seat and a two O-rings subject to significant wear. The Balanced Adjustable second stage uses the same internal parts as the G250 and, properly updated, breathes just a easily. It lacks the flow vave of the G250 but does not have the potential of cracking the phenolic case as the case is chrome plated brass. You could drop a tank on it and still dive with it. The heat transfer of the brass case also makes it superior to the G250 as a cold water reg. They are really underrated regulators and still offer advantages over the G250 that replaced them. I have always suspected the only advantages of the G250 were more modern styling and lower production costs.

I now dive with a Mk 20 D400 and a Mk 25 D400 for the back gas but I'm still not convinced I was not better off with Mk 10 first stages. The Mk 10 with a properly maintained SPEC kit would not freeze up - ever. I can't say the same about the TIS equipped Mk 20 and 25. They can and will freeze up at depth in deep water if too much air is run through them. In contrast, I can fill a 200 lb lift bag at 100 ft in 35 degree water in one shot and not freeze up a Mk 10. The Mk10 was the best first stage Scubapro ever made.

The "old" D400's with the metal orifice were super easy breathers and exceptional cold water regs. Unfortunately Scubapro changed to plastic orifices, obstensibly due to corrosion concerns from morons who do not understand the concept of rinsing their gear. The "improved" plastic orifice does not allow adjustment for super easy breathing without free flowing and not surprisingly the degraded performing D400 was deleted from the catalog this year.

Scubapro is very good about stocking parts for thier old and discontinued regs and many other companies are not, so finding parts to service an old Scubapro reg is almost never a problem, while it is a common problem with other companies.

They are also good about designing improvements so that they can be retrofitted into earlier models. For example my Mk 20 can be upgraded to a Mk 25 configuration (not that I see the need to do this. ) the original Adjustable second stage was easily upgraded to the better performing Balanced Adjustable standard, and the Mk 10 can be upgraded to the reportedly better performing but demonstrably more maintainence intensive Mk 10 Plus configuration.

So despite a tendency to move away from solid evolutionary engineering to placate the whiney non-diving marketing types Scubapro still makes solid regs and provides solid service and parts support.

The oldest regs I own and the only non-Scubapro regs I own are a 1960 US Divers DA Aquamater and a 1961 vintage US Divers Mistral. Both are double hose regs and are in fully restored diveable condition. Other than proper rinsing and new rubber parts every decade or so, they almost never require any other service.

My oldest regulator that I bought new was my Tabata TR-30 in 1983. The Tabata 1st stage was a Scubapro MK-V copy with a flow through balanced piston design and a swivel top. My brother and I each bought one and they came as an inexpensive package with BC, octopus, and gauges. We dove the heck out of those regulators for at least ten years. I eventually lost interest in having them overhauled every year and the warranty expired. Then I only had it overhauled when it seemed like it needed it. The rubber gauge console has since dry rotted. The plastic second stage cases evenually cracked. The nut that holds the yoke in place on the first stage doesn't stick very high above the yoke and it is hard to get a wrench on it. Because the regulator hadn't been overhauled in a long time, the parts stuck together and that yoke nut became partially rounded when it was worked on last time. The regulator still works, but between the rounded nut, the cracked plastic cases, no warranty, it being a long-discontinued model, and being a cheapie to begin with, there is not a lot left to overhaul. I got my money's worth out of it, though.

The next regulator that I got new was a US Divers Conshelf 21 that was bought around 1985. I've done a lot of dives with it, have only had it overhauled a couple of times, and it didn't really need it either time. It has never failed and has always breathed wonderfully. For salt water diving I think that its diaphragm first stage design is better than a piston design because the salt water is kept out of the inside of the regulator, minimizing corrosion worries. It is probably my best all around regulator.

I also got a new Poseidon Odin around 1987. I dove it in fresh water for 15 years and finally had it overhauled, even though it didn't seem to need it. It is my highest performing regulator and has never given me a problem.

My oldest regulators are my 1962 Voit 50 Fathom and 1965 US Diver DA AquaMaster double hose regulators, purchased 12 years ago for $3.50 and $5.00, respectively, at pawn shops. They now have new hoses and valves and are a joy to dive with. Having the bubbles behind your head is the best place for them to be.

Brand: Scubapro

Model: Mk10 first / G250 second

Purchased: 1992

Maintenance: serviced every 2 yrs

Never had any problems...not one, I dive it in warm and cold water.

I highly recommend Scubapro from my experiences.

1) Brand: Aqua-Lung

2) Model: DA Aqua Master 2 hose, yellow hoses.

3) Year Bought: Bought used in about 78 from a friend. We lived in Kansas, I think he got it in the Navy, and it spent almost all of its life in the original cardboard box.

4) Religious Maintenance Chores: Open it up and look at it occasionally.

I picked it up cheap, mostly as a classic display piece. I doubt it has ever been serviced, I never even got it wet. Using this link as a reference- California Classic Equipment Divers ,
it is vintage '58-59.

The tag reads:
AQUA-LUNG
DA-"aqua-master"
2 STAGE REGULATOR
Custeau-gGagnan Process
US> Patent No 2,485,039
u.s. divers co.
11201 West Pico Boulevard
Los Angeles, California
USE COMPRESSED AIR ONLY
Serial No. 213423 Made in USA

Tricky

Tricky! You gotta take your AquaMaster swimming. When that regulator was new, it was the finest in the world. She's calling to you, saying "I wanna go diiiving. I wanna go diiiiving." If the hoses are in OK shape, then most likely all it needs is a pair of flapper valves and an exhaust valve. You can get parts and service at http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/

I also have a US Diver Conshelf 21 that I bought around 92 or 93. I've had it regularly serviced, and I see no reason to get anything else. I dive in warm water - but that includes some deep (to 130 feet) dives as recently as May 03 - and I have never had any problems.

Brand: US Divers

Model: Pro Diver Supreme

Year bought: 88 or 89 (was in my drunken navy days, still a fog)

Maintenance: Worked great. Sat in a box in the attic for years. Took it out and had it serviced. Works like a champ.

I also have the Pro Diver Supreme 2nd stage and a chrome plated brass Dacor 2nd stage. Do not know what model the Dacor is. Bought it at the same time. I understand this is probably the last time I will get parts for the Dacor.

Please list down the following

1) Brand: Aqualung

2) Model: Legend

3) Year Bought: 2002

4) Religious Maintenance Chores: Annual

Dxtreme:
Before I spend my money on new regulators, I Just like to see which brand of Regulator last the longest.

Provided we care for the Regulators and do the annual maintenance How long does a middle - high end range regulator last ?

How old is your oldest functional regulator ?

Please list down the following

1) Brand:dacor

2) Model:pacer 900

3) Year Bought:1979

4) Religious Maintenance Chores[yearly] i have finaly retired it to the on my pony bottle. i'ts never let me down nor have i ever had any problem with it!

1985 - oceanic with Omega II

1985 - Scubapro MK 10 with D300

I have several other regulators but my favourite must be the SP MK 10/D300 . I had a bit of a bother with the SP Dealer and resented their business style . So, I deferred servicing the MK 10 for one year and then the second year and several years after that. The Mk 10 /D300 continued to perform perfectly without service !!!!

I love the Scubapro stuff; but ......

I recently treated myself to a couple of MK 25/S600's. Hmm !! , I am not not sure whether I might have done something better with the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom