Remember your General Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't let relative proximity fool you, our usps here has a way with making a 5 mile trip take a full week lol. Might be worth driving it up there on the scoot.

I've sent computers to Dive-tronix quite a number of times. So far it has taken anywhere from two days to two weeks.

Over how long a time, though? They're not dynamic o-rings, except the battery compartment o-ring. It's hard to argue against replacing the battery compartment o-ring every few years. But the bezel gasket? On the original Petrel the bezel gasket was underneath the transparent screen cover, so I suppose it could have been susceptible to UV degradation. The upgraded bezel is opaque. Petrel bezel gasket issue aside, I believe there are computers from other manufacturers out there in the wild that people have been using for 20 years without failure. I suppose the argument against this service is that it's an unnecessary cost. For me, the peace of mind I got from this perhaps unnecessary preventive maintenance was worth it.

I can't resist taking the other side of an argument. I'll shut up now.

You’re not alone on this thinking, I never saw the discussion on this you mentioned on the earlier post, but those were my thoughts exactly when I saw this.
Especially on the case of a Peregrine, in a 10 year span you’d spend the cost of a new computer on maintenance service, I’d expect any computer to last me at least 10 years, let alone a quality built one like Shearwaters.
Preventative service is hard to argue against, but I can’t escape the feeling of disappointment if I had to keep paying for the cost of the computer in services on the same computer over again every 10 years, or it failing on me in that period of time. I think I’d still feel better about a situation in which the computer fails in 10 years and I’d have to buy a new one, would have spent about the same but upgraded to latest model then.
Now, if a warranty is extended every time till next scheduled periodic service time, then I can see the value.

How quickly do the seals and o-rings degrade? Given that the manufacturer recommends service every 3-4 years, I would say in 3-4 years. YMMV. Your computer so you get to do whatever you want. I choose to have mine serviced. Every 4 years seems very reasonable to me.

How quickly do the seals and o-rings degrade? Given that the manufacturer recommends service every 3-4 years, I would say in 3-4 years. . . .
I was referring to o-rings and seals in general, not exclusively to the ones Shearwater uses. Maybe Shearwater uses o-rings and seals that degrade faster than typical ones.

Sorry--I just can't help myself.

..I believe there are computers from other manufacturers out there in the wild that people have been using for 20 years without failure. I suppose the argument against this service is that it's an unnecessary cost...
I have also wondered about the need for routine computer maintenance. I don't believe I had heard of it before Shearwater. I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 for 14 years, 1,939 dives and 2,035 hours. Besides a couple of battery compartment O-ring replacements, nothing, works perfectly.
1724172301575.png

I bought a Teric in 2019. I've had a few problems with my Terics and have not had one long enough to consider maintenance yet. If my current Teric makes it out to 3-4 years, I will obtain service. If there is one thing I know, it's than Dive-Tronix delivers superlative customer service.

Maintenance recommendations aren't unique to Shearwater. Being but a mere peasant, I just picked up a ScubaPro G2. From the manual:

The G2’s depth accuracy should be verified every two years by an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer. The tank pressure gauge and the parts of this product used to measure tank pressure should be serviced by an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer every other year, or after 200 dives (whichever comes first).Aside from that, the G2 is virtually maintenance-free. All you need to do is rinse it carefully with fresh water after each dive and charge the battery when needed. To avoid possible problems with your G2, the following recommendations will help assure years of trouble-free service:• Avoid dropping or jarring your G2.• Do not expose your G2 to intense, direct sunlight.• Do not store your G2 in a sealed container; always ensure free ventilation.• If there are problems with the water or USB contacts, use soapy water to clean your G2 and dry it thoroughly. Do not use silicone grease on the water contacts!• Do not clean your G2 with liquids containing solvents.• Check the battery capacity before each dive.• If the battery warning appears, charge the battery.• If any error message appears on the display, take your G2 back to an authorized SCUBAPRO dealer.

So, thanks @Divin'Papaw - I just added a note to my future events calendar.

I’m in the “send-it-in-for-periodic-maintenance” camp.

Perdix just back from service. Returned brand new. Short turnaround with the DIVE-Tronix team. Superb communication at every step.

I’m in the “send-it-in-for-periodic-maintenance” camp.

Perdix just back from service. Returned brand new. Short turnaround with the DIVE-Tronix team. Superb communication at every step.
What was the cost for Perdix AI?

A lot depends on how much you use your computer and how often you drop, smash, scrape it on stuff. The buttons on Perdix/Petrel/Predators eventually get harder to press. The screen get worn, the case can get cracks. If your computer is a few years old, you will also get a titanium bezel upgrade.

I've used my multiple Shearwaters in the family enough that they usually are showing signs of wear or a malfunction before I would send them in opportunisticly.

The service at Divetronix is excellent and reasonably priced, so you have little to lose.

@Boarderguy

Don’t know, Shearwater covered the costs. Mine is the base model version (bought in 2020) that had faulty buttons from the factory. It was fine until two weekends ago when the right button popped out while sitting in the garage. The DIVE-Tronix team was crisp and expedited everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom