Hard Luggage (Checked) Too Heavy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am in the market for a new checked bag for international SCUBA trips. I have used generic hand-me-down fabric bags in the past, and my latest started falling apart. I am considering hard luggage like the Rimowa Salsa, however, since I am going to be packing the luggage with a jacket style BCD, jet fins, wetsuit and other gear, I fear that I may exceed the weight limit, considering that one airline in my upcoming journey has a weight limit of 30 lbs!

I love the look of the aluminum hard cases, but I think if it is packed with SCUBA gear, it will be more trouble than it is worth. What are your thoughts?

I think that the metal cases are great, but too heavy. I use soft-sided, framed luggage, and have to be careful to get under the 50 lb weight limit. I'd suggest that you weigh the "old fabric bag", then weigh whatever you are thinking about getting to replace it, and compare. I'd also avoid any bag with anything on it (printing,logos, etc.) that screams "scuba gear-steal me".
Also, regarding the $$ penalty/fee for exceeding the weight limit? Is it "free" up to 30 lbs, then ????

I think that the metal cases are great, but too heavy. I use soft-sided, framed luggage, and have to be careful to get under the 50 lb weight limit. I'd suggest that you weigh the "old fabric bag", then weigh whatever you are thinking about getting to replace it, and compare. I'd also avoid any bag with anything on it (printing,logos, etc.) that screams "scuba gear-steal me".
Also, regarding the $$ penalty/fee for exceeding the weight limit? Is it "free" up to 30 lbs, then ????

Agreed. I am going to check out a retailer with my SCUBA gear in the old bag and
1. See if my gear will fit in their bag comfortably
2. See how much the total weight will be with everything packed

I will make a call from that point.

EDIT: Actually the Rimowa cases I am looking at are not "aluminum" but polycarbonate colored to look like they are aluminum (9 lbs)

We buy inexpensive rolling duffle bags. The current set are reinforced with some nylon webbing suitcase straps. The bags don't last terribly long (the zippers usually fail) but they generally cost in the $30 range, and they are light.

My latest strategy is to use a big wheel-less duffle bag for non fragile items. They only weigh about 2 lbs. A second large wheeled light weight bag for fragile stuff. Usually works for my wife and I. Of course I carry the duffle and she pushes the wheeled bag.

We buy inexpensive rolling duffle bags. The current set are reinforced with some nylon webbing suitcase straps. The bags don't last terribly long (the zippers usually fail) but they generally cost in the $30 range, and they are light.

+1 for soft sided duffle bags that weigh almost nothing. One bag with all gear + clothes in the belly. Laptop under the seat, rebreather in the overhead.

My latest strategy is to use a big wheel-less duffle bag for non fragile items. They only weigh about 2 lbs. A second large wheeled light weight bag for fragile stuff. Usually works for my wife and I. Of course I carry the duffle and she pushes the wheeled bag.
Agreed. Scuba gear is pretty tough. No need to extra heavy hard sides.
we use a 2 lb duffle (no wheels) when we are really worried about weight.
we gave away our old luggage years ago once we realized some of the bags were 10 lbs by themselves. Not much room for any luggage if you are trying to hit 30lbs.
we do have wheeled hard / soft duffle that is around 8 lbs that we use for higher weight limits flights.

Use a North Face duffel bag. Indistructable, and light. A weeled carry on for regs, and fragile stuff and a pelican hard sided case for camera housing lenses that goes inside the soft sided duffel. Unfortunately with the camera stuff I get to 50lb pretty quickly.

Duffels sound like a pretty good idea! The hard cases weigh about 10 lbs, which is already a 1/3 of the strictest airline's baggage limit. I will have to check out these other options.

Back
Top Bottom