Checking in Dive Gear? Or Carry-on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are people who will try and carry-on everything for a dive trip. Personally I don't see how it's possible (while actually staying within the rules) and have no desire to try.

Lost luggage does happen but it's actually pretty unusual, and I think technology has improved the situation over the years. There are tons of existing threads on this subject with good information. And various ways to decrease your chance of issues. Some of this is location specific. No regulators in carry-on is a Philippines thing, not sure if it's an issue anywhere else. Non-US carriers usually have smaller size limits for carryons, and rather small weight limits for them that tend to get enforced. If you're on a small plane along the way you will probably need to check more for that flight and want to be prepared for it. OTOH, some carriers will give free or cheap allowance for a bag of dive gear. You have to figure out the best way to pack for each trip for you.

Pay attention to rules about different types of batteries. Cozumel it's illegal to take in Sudafed, much discussion about that here lately. There are different quirks for different destinations you should look into.
Thanks for the location specific tips! TIL you can't take regulators in a carry-on in the Philippines. Seems like an odd rule.

I like the AirTag/Tile suggestion. That'd at least give me some peace of mind if my luggage were to get "lost". I was planning on taking what you listed + BC which would be one of the toughest fits of course but overall I think folks here have convinced me to check everything minus the gear you listed. Computer definitely comes with me on the plane haha - mine will be tiny enough to easily justify.

If you don’t use them, packing cubes are your friend. Rolling your clothes allows you to get more in a small space. For a week trip, I was able to get all clothes in two medium sized packing cubes that fit in the zipped mesh compartment of my 21” rolling carryon.

Thanks for the location specific tips! TIL you can't take regulators in a carry-on in the Philippines. Seems like an odd rule.
I think the idea is that you could use them as a weapon? If you look for logic in all this you can drive yourself crazy.

Oh, and the rules will change with time, and possibly the mood of whoever is checking.

If you don’t use them, packing cubes are your friend. Rolling your clothes allows you to get more in a small space. For a week trip, I was able to get all clothes in two medium sized packing cubes that fit in the zipped mesh compartment of my 21” rolling carryon.
I'll look into these! I've heard about them but never given them a shot. I'm a relatively tall dude, so I always find it difficult squeezing a week's worth of clothes in a carry-on. Thanks again for the tips!

... but I'd like to hear other people's opinions on check-in vs carry-on.
I carry-on my regs (including AIR 2) and analog gauges, and mask and snorkel. I used to carry-on my dive knife, too, though the last time was a couple of decades ago!

rx7diver

I carry regs/computer/lights on the way down and check everything but computer and lights on way back

Regs, comps, and camera. Everything else goes in the belly of the beast. Semi fragile stuff between layers of wet suits and BCs in hard side luggage

If it's your first time to Coz you need to understand the work around to missing your connection in Dallas. Well you won't catch a later flight to Coz that day because there aren't many flights to Coz.

However there are a crap load of flights to Cancun (CUN). So you try to get you and your bag redirected to CUN and do the "bag drag". Search bag drag and you will understand. Basically you get a bus for $12 or other options for the 1 hour drive from CUN to Playa Del Carmen. Then walk downhill about 300 meters to the ferry that runs hourly to Coz and buy a $12 ticket. Take a taxi to your accomodation at the ferry terminal in Coz.

You will be tired on arrival but ready for diving the next morning.

Bpw, regs, computer, mask and fins are in carry on. Wetsuit and clothes in checked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom