Is the “Carry On Crackdown” real?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven’t flown since last February, but have a trip coming up in January. The other day a video by a travel You-Tuber caught my attention, and one of the things they talked about was the carry on crackdown. I checked the carry on bag I’ve been using for the past 15 some odd years, and it’s ~1” taller, wheels to top, than what’s listed as acceptable. I then searched the internet for information and found a few articles on the crack down, but most were from 10+ years ago.

So, what’s the truth? Do I need to get a new carry on bag, or is mine fine? I would love to hear about personal or witnessed experiences, and not so much second hand or theories.

Erik
I haven’t seen any passengers bags scrutinized or rejected. I do see gate agents asking if passengers would like to gate check their bag (free). They should crack down on the clearly obvious oversize bags (yah you adventure guy with the 80L Mt Everest expedition bag) and the number of bags (looking at you princess with the two carryons and the back pack, bumping everyone down the aisle, holding everyone up while you find places to store your stuff).

I travel quite a bit for work. And I’ve seen somewhat random carryon size checks, including my correct sized bag. There was someone just behind me one trip throwing a fit as they had to gate check their very oversized carry on. So yes, they do look at bag sizes. I’m sure it varies airline to airline too.

We've done a fair amount of international flying in the past year including several low budget airlines that clearly state via their website and signs at the gates that carry ons will be checked and weighed. With my regulators, torches, camera and other dive related supplies, my carry on bag is probably 3x the limit. It's never been questioned. It may help that it's a backpack and I don't carry it like it's going to snap my spine in half even though it sometimes feels that way. But I've never seen anyone else have their bags scrutinized (with many clearly larger than allowed), except for those who are carrying 3 bags when the limit is 2.

My wife and I recently few from the U.S. through Singapore and Indonesia, using only a carry-on and personal item backpack each.

We were able to carry-on for the U.S. legs and Singapore Airlines. (I'll admit that we were in Business Class, which likely draws less scrutiny.) The Indonesian legs were much tighter, so we had to check the carry-ons and ensure that our backpacks came in at less than 7kg, or some number close to that.

As mentioned, always check with your particular carrier(s). The information should be clearly noted on the booking or the website.

On flights that charge for a carry-on if you paid for one your personal item could be an 800lb gorilla, otherwise if it's bigger than deck of cards they will make you stuff it in the sizer box.

I have experienced having my carry-on weighed on numerous flights through Europe, Turkey and the Mid-East. I have also noticed numerous passengers being told they have to many carry-ons or that their carry-ons were too big and they had to be checked. This seems to be tied to how full the plane was or whether the plane was one of the newer Airbus models that has the smaller overhead bins over the middle passengers.

There have been different carryon sizes for US domestic and international flights for years. IMHO the real “crackdown” has been with some airlines (some US major) you don’t get a carryon at all on a basic fare only a personal item unless you have status (usually an airline sponsored CC or mileage).
Personally I would prefer a couple free checked bags and charge for carryons other than a personal item (underseat). It would sure make boarding easier and more efficient, but that’s never gonna happen. 💰💰💰

I just got back from Germany, Lufthansa was checking the size of those with obvious large bags. I had brought my 21” carry on and they didn’t like it but ignored me, it is a crap shoot. As a multi-million mile flyer, I have only been checked 3 or 4 times, Air France & Lufthansa and weight was the bigger issue.

My experience with American, Delta, and Alaska--they are not strict with weight or size. Southwest allows a 24" carryon as opposed to others that allow 22".

Alaska has become a bit dickish. They count anything attached to your body as a personal item or carryon, such as fanny pack or a neck wallet. They even glanced in my brown bag with food to verify it was food. A food bag doesn't count.

They count anything attached to your body as a personal item or carryon, such as fanny pack or a neck wallet. They even glanced in my brown bag with food to verify it was food. A food bag doesn't count.

Now, that's a lot of dickishness for sure.

Back
Top Bottom