Checking in Dive Gear? Or Carry-on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got a Stahlsac Rangi carryon. For Maui via Southwest, I carried on BCD, reg set, mask, computer. Fins and clothes were checked. Worked great. Plan to do the same for CZM via SWA. For international airlines, weight and size restrictions would probably force me to check the Rangi (it’s solid!) and carry on something smaller for mask, reg and DC only. Except Philippines, as we all learned here. LOL. Also have a large Stahlsac for bigger trips.

I live and dive in Colombia and because of fear of theft I put the following in the backpack that came with my HydrosPro which I use as a carryon: BCD,regs, mask, snorkel, and Seawing Nova (strapped to the outside). The computer and GoPro go in my laptop bag. Dive knife and SP diving shirts go in my checked back with clothes.

Anything with lithium batteries can’t be checked.
Not quite true. But it is better to have them in carry on.

Here is something from the IATA that covers lithium batteries.

over the years I have had some strange things.
One airline told me to take my electric razor as carry on as it had a lithium battery in it, even though the card at the checkin desk said it was OK for checked baggage.
One airline made me remove the alkaine batteries from my work test equipment, leaving them loose in my toolbox. How that was safer I don’t know.
Bought a Dyson hand held vacuum cleaner (don’t sell them in Brazil). Of course that got investigated by the TSA when I went through security. It was less than 100 W/h so OK.

Edit. Smart bags are not a smart idea, as generally the battery will need removing if it needs checking.

If it's your first time to Coz you need to understand the work around to missing your connection in Dallas. Well you won't catch a later flight to Coz that day because there aren't many flights to Coz.

However there are a crap load of flights to Cancun (CUN). So you try to get you and your bag redirected to CUN and do the "bag drag". Search bag drag and you will understand. Basically you get a bus for $12 or other options for the 1 hour drive from CUN to Playa Del Carmen. Then walk downhill about 300 meters to the ferry that runs hourly to Coz and buy a $12 ticket. Take a taxi to your accomodation at the ferry terminal in Coz.

You will be tired on arrival but ready for diving the next morning.
Great info! I'd looked into flying into CUN as an alternative since there are far more flight options but saw that it's further away than I thought. I'll come up with a game plan based on your info in case my flight gets canceled.

Great info! I'd looked into flying into CUN as an alternative since there are far more flight options but saw that it's further away than I thought. I'll come up with a game plan based on your info in case my flight gets canceled.
Historically it was cheaper to fly Cancun and money was tighter back in the day, so did this all the time. Not bad at all really. My last two times to Cozumel people were doing the reverse since flights were much cheaper to Cozumel, was a first for me to see.

If you end up having to do the bag drag, be aware there is road construction around the Cancun airport. It is making the drive between PDC and Cancun up to two hours now. It was a mess in August. I think it’s a multiple year project.

Historically it was cheaper to fly Cancun and money was tighter back in the day, so did this all the time. Not bad at all really. My last two times to Cozumel people were doing the reverse since flights were much cheaper to Cozumel, was a first for me to see.
I'll have to compare and see then - I haven't booked the flights yet (tracking prices at the moment), and it may be cheaper/more convenient to go via Cancun.

I'll have to compare and see then - I haven't booked the flights yet (tracking prices at the moment), and it may be cheaper/more convenient to go via Cancun.
Remember to include the cost of the ferry and taxi/bus fares (round trip) when comparing airfare prices. Once the extra costs for Cancun are taken into account, the savings may or may not be worth the 2-3 hours of hassle.

I used to have clear-cut thoughts about what to check and what to carry on. I had the idea that I would carry on those items I would most hate diving without, and/or that are expensive or hard to replace. So I carried on my computer, mask, lights, regulator set, some clothing items, and some personal items, and I checked my BCD, fins, wetsuit, and remaining items. Eventually, I gave up my compulsion for carrying on the reg set and just put it in the checked bag, nestled in the wetsuit and clothing. To echo what someone said above, lost baggage is not THAT common, and more often a bag just shows up a day late. I can tolerate rental gear for a day, even a week if I had to.

As for Cozumel, flying into Cancun and taking a private van or a bus is no big deal. I can't say I prefer it to flying directly into Cozumel, but if the cost savings are significant, the extra ride plus ferry doesn't bother me at all. As others said, compare prices, tallying up the various costs of each option.

I am getting ready for a trip to Cayman Brac as I type this. Here is my plan ...

In my Carry-on:
Reg bag which has my reg set + one dive computer (PERDIX AI)
Mask (I have prescription lenses)
A rash guard & swim suit.
Camera tray
Camera + one lens (Sony A6000 with a Sony/Zeiss 16-70mm f/4 lens)
Batteries
iPad
1 Qt clear Ziploc bag (the TSA 3-1-1 bag)

In my "Personal Bag" (a small PACSAFE Backpack):
Camera housing
Dome Port
2x Inon S2000 strobes (and Fiber Optice Cables)
A Sony 10-18mm f/4 lens

In my checked bag (a roller duffel):
Save a Dive kit/Miscellaneous dive stuff
BP/W (which I put inside a 3mm vest and then that goes inside my wetsuit)
3mm Vest & wetsuit (Which I use to protect my BP/W in particular the bladder)
Fins
Booties
Clothing

Basically, camera gear and everything I need to dive that is personal comes with me. Stuff that I can rent or live without fro a few days gets checked. I also plan on wearing a Teric DC as a watch for the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom