Dive Luggage suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5lbs!! I will probably switch this. I could really use that extra 7lbs.
No frame but fins on the bottom lock it in perfectly and when not using it it takes up little space along with being easy to spot.

Stahlsac dive bags have a limited lifetime warranty and they don't have scuba plastered all over the outside.
I have their Jamaican smuggler and it's a great bag, it's discontinued but you can still get them at a lot of dive shops and online. Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler

Whatever you do, don't get a scuba specific logo bag as you are just tempting the thieves. My own wheeled duffel, at this point, has more duct tape than original material.
It may be tempting to thieves but having specific logo stickers on your luggage prevents unsuspecting individuals from taking your bag by mistake at the baggage carousel. The airport would most likely compensate but the outcome would be a ruined dive vacation.

Look for these type of wheels to prevent baggage handlers accidentally damaging your luggage.

Attachments

• 1657233711370.png
    1657233711370.png
    328.2 KB · Views: 117
I travel by plane to dive a couple of times a year. My most recent piece of luggage for checking has been a duffel bag, and packing as efficiently as I can (reg and certain other heavy-ish items in my carry-on) I still weigh in at just under 50 pounds. BCD and fins won't fit in my carry-on, so they are probably the heaviest gear in my bag.
On my last trip, flying in and out of Miami, I had to drag my duffel a lot, and I ended up wearing right through it. Now I am looking for the largest, lightest wheeled duffel that I can find. Any suggestions?
1. Put patch on it.
2. Foldable light weight hand trolley.

@Alaskan Scuba Dude I try to personalize my gear bag with a baggage tag that is multicolor and, well, gaudy. It is easy to see coming down the conveyer and allows me to keep an eye on it if I am not quick enough to grab it.

@Alaskan Scuba Dude I try to personalize my gear bag with a baggage tag that is multicolor and, well, gaudy. It is easy to see coming down the conveyer and allows me to keep an eye on it if I am not quick enough to grab it.
I stick an AirTag in mine now - so I can see when it’s about to dump onto the carousel!

BTW - I have this bag and love it:

TUSA Roller Duffle Bag

I travel by plane to dive a couple of times a year. My most recent piece of luggage for checking has been a duffel bag, and packing as efficiently as I can (reg and certain other heavy-ish items in my carry-on) I still weigh in at just under 50 pounds. BCD and fins won't fit in my carry-on, so they are probably the heaviest gear in my bag.
On my last trip, flying in and out of Miami, I had to drag my duffel a lot, and I ended up wearing right through it. Now I am looking for the largest, lightest wheeled duffel that I can find. Any suggestions?
Eagle Creek, depending on size empty weight is around 5lbs.
Have used for years on long haul international trips (22,000+ mile RT average). Tough as nails

I use Pelican Air cases.

Pre-covid I was averaging 60-70 flights a year. Pelican cases are the only thing that last also keeps your equipment safe, dry, a sealed from the environment (super important when you bouncing around in the back of an open truck on some back country jungle road in the rain/mud/dust looking for caves) I have tried everything from expensive Rimowa, Tumi, Samsonite, etc. all fell apart.

Two rebreathers, DPV, cave diving gear, OC gear, and all accessories.
1657244370653.png

Nobody has ever tried to take my bag. I always take photos of my bags before they go behind the ticket counter for a little extra precaution in case I have to describe my lost bag.

Attachments

• 20220707_140321.jpg
    20220707_140321.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 102
I pick up cheap hockey bags with rollers. Preferably at the end f the hockey gear season when they go on sale.
There is usually a light frame that runs the length of the bottom to support the wheels, and my fins go on each side to create rigidity on the side of the bag.
I can fit any dive gear that I check, plus enough clothes for a week in a warm desination and still be under the 50lb weight limit. Been using the same bag now for about 8 dive trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom