Question Help me get over my fear of soft sided luggage for air travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see others traveling with a soft sided duffel for their dive gear and I wonder if people have had gear damage over the years from using them vs a hard sided suitcase. ...
I still use the U.S. Army heavy canvas duffel bag my dad gave me when I left home (in TX) for college (in OH) in 1973, for scuba travel. Not really Army surplus, since he used it when he was in the Army. (Thirty years Regular Army, retired.) It has flown to GCI and Seattle and BVI, with no issues.

I used to be concerned because it is OD green (olive green, Army green). However, it is so faded and beat up, that I long ago concluded that there is very little chance someone will think it is something currently being used for military purposes.

Like others above, I carry on my mask, regulators (including AIR 2 if I take it), and gauges.

rx7diver

I’d second this, with the addition that our regs are also inside the soft sides, inside padded regulator bags that are then inside our BCDs.
Doing this for 20 years with zero damage. Reg sets and computers in reg bags, rolled up in a wetsuit, and zipped inside the BC. Fins are packed one on each of the long, narrow sides which “stiffens” the soft sided luggage.

Back
Top Bottom