Sidewinder Packed for Air Travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InWay2Deep

Contributor
Reaction score
Curious how everyone packs their sidewinder for Air travel. I have the Sidewinder, K2 and all the gear that goes along with a tourist cave diving trip to Mexico (reels, spools, lights, Petrel and Perdix, etc). Any recommendations on what to pack it all in? Maybe a Pelican Air case? Soft sided luggage? Something that I can also use to take the gear out to the dive site in would be ideal as well. Currently I take my computers, canister light, regs and camera rig in carry on so that's pretty packed. I usually go Southwest so 50lb and 62 total in limits will apply.

Question - Gear Travel Bag Option

Dive Luggage suggestions

I think this was covered here. Not specific to the sidewinder but its still basically the same.

Just like what is the best truck to transport things in everyone will have a different opinion but personally I swear by Pelican Cases and the new Air cases really are not that much heavier that any other regular hard sided plastic luggage. And same with price as well I buy all of my case during black Friday/cyber Monday, many online retailers that have cases on sale already plus 30% off.

Just basic rebreather cave diving travel my go to is, computers, rebreather head, lights, anything electronic with with batteries, and 1st stages (just for the weight savings) in my rolly carry on and backpack. Then 2 checked luggage; Pelican Air with all diving gear and dry suit in the standard Santi duffle bag with all my clothes and other misc soft good. With a sidewinder you should easily be able to get this under 50lbs per bag.

1703022404905.png

The canisters and counterlung plus light all fit in a normal non-descript looking carry-on. The rest goes in checked baggage. You'll assemble the unit at your condo/apartment. Set it upright in one of the plastic milk crate like bins all the cave shops are using - especially after the dive so lung butter goo doesnt ruin your cells. If you are asking this question here... I would suggest leaving the camera at home

Question - Gear Travel Bag Option

Dive Luggage suggestions

I think this was covered here. Not specific to the sidewinder but its still basically the same.

Just like what is the best truck to transport things in everyone will have a different opinion but personally I swear by Pelican Cases and the new Air cases really are not that much heavier that any other regular hard sided plastic luggage. And same with price as well I buy all of my case during black Friday/cyber Monday, many online retailers that have cases on sale already plus 30% off.

Just basic rebreather cave diving travel my go to is, computers, rebreather head, lights, anything electronic with with batteries, and 1st stages (just for the weight savings) in my rolly carry on and backpack. Then 2 checked luggage; Pelican Air with all diving gear and dry suit in the standard Santi duffle bag with all my clothes and other misc soft good. With a sidewinder you should easily be able to get this under 50lbs per bag.

View attachment 816528
What size pelican air are you using for the rebreather.

What size pelican air are you using for the rebreather.
Depends on what rebreather I am taking. For my JJ I use the 1637 because all I have to do is take the top handle off and the whole unit fits in its ready to dive configuration (no disassembly) For my light weight units like my Triton and homebuild (sidewinder knock off) I use a 1626 or 1607. I also have a 1615 but I found I do not use this much it is kind of an odd shape; long and skinny. Also have a 1535 carry on (it is exactly the IATA carry on dimensions) Very nice to have a pelican carry on as well to keep you head, batteries, electronics in and they are safe and dry as well. No issues throwing it in the back of a truck and getting covered in mud and dust.

The 1626 and 1607 are my favorite sizes. I actually own 2 of each.

Depends on what rebreather I am taking. For my JJ I use the 1637 because all I have to do is take the top handle off and the whole unit fits in its ready to dive configuration (no disassembly) For my light weight units like my Triton and homebuild (sidewinder knock off) I use a 1626 or 1607. I also have a 1615 but I found I do not use this much it is kind of an odd shape; long and skinny. Also have a 1535 carry on (it is exactly the IATA carry on dimensions) Very nice to have a pelican carry on as well to keep you head, batteries, electronics in and they are safe and dry as well. No issues throwing it in the back of a truck and getting covered in mud and dust.

The 1626 and 1607 are my favorite sizes. I actually own 2 of each.

Great thanks! I was actually looking at the 1615, but ill cross that one off the list.

Curious how everyone packs their sidewinder for Air travel. I have the Sidewinder, K2 and all the gear that goes along with a tourist cave diving trip to Mexico (reels, spools, lights, Petrel and Perdix, etc). Any recommendations on what to pack it all in? Maybe a Pelican Air case? Soft sided luggage? Something that I can also use to take the gear out to the dive site in would be ideal as well. Currently I take my computers, canister light, regs and camera rig in carry on so that's pretty packed. I usually go Southwest so 50lb and 62 total in limits will apply.
Pelican 1510 case that won’t die, else it would be a 1535 Air. Backup lights, loop covers, and secondary computer fit comfortably inside one scrubber, oxygen reg and hose inside the second scrubber. Needle, backup primary light, loop hoses, lung, and primary monitor around the scrubber. Pictured are a pair of stage regs but would normally be both sets of sidemount regs and inside the BX2 case is a divesoft flow limiter for the analyzer. Love note to TSA on top.

32L Arc’Teryx Miura personal bag contains primary canister light and a heat battery, potentially additional bailout regs, divesoft analyzer and a charger or two. Love note of battery flight compliance on top.

Single checked luggage = drysuit, wing, fins, masks, spares kit, light undergarments, heat wear. If it’s an excessively cold trip, second checked bag contains the undergarments and personal clothing and or necessary approach gear. Travelling with a large camera rig to do long range dives is kind of a mess and results in baggage overages. I like duffels, but can’t recommend the FE duffel series for carrying comfort over long distances.

Depending on logistics, I’ll often travel with the scrubbers packed. Loadout above was same with the insulated sidewinder as it is the Gemini.

Attachments

• IMG_0508.jpeg
    IMG_0508.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0510.jpeg
    IMG_0510.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 57
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back