Halcyon sueing OxyCheq, US Divers and others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Especially when there's absolutely no proof that the lawsuit even exists....

MikeS:
And your point would be?

Buying an Oxycheq wing based on research makes sense to me. Ruling out potential choices because you read about a lawsuit on the Internet makes no sense to me.

I never ruled out Halcyon. I looked at OMS, Halcyon, Dive Rite and Oxycheq. I've never read anything about the lawsuit. I put my order in a couple of weeks ago on the Oxycheq before any of this even came out. Because I didn't choose the Halcyon doesn't mean I didn't consider it or rule it out from the beginning.

CRDiver:
Especially when there's absolutely no proof that the lawsuit even exists....

I have the document, if you PM me with your email address I can send it to you.

warren_l:
I never ruled out Halcyon. I looked at OMS, Halcyon, Dive Rite and Oxycheq. I've never read anything about the lawsuit. I put my order in a couple of weeks ago on the Oxycheq before any of this even came out. Because I didn't choose the Halcyon doesn't mean I didn't consider it or rule it out from the beginning.

So what’s your point in the context of this thread about a lawsuit(s) originated by Halcyon?

MikeS:
Wait, let me get this straight; rather than buying the best wing for your application, you’re going to buy something less because you read about a lawsuit(s) on the Internet? That sounds smart! Isn’t it customary to have the hanging after the trial?

I guess my point is that Halcyon isn't necessarily the "best" as it depends on a great degree on individual preferences and requirements as far as application is concerned. I don't think these decisions are necessarily swayed either way by reading about any lawsuits, at least for me it isn't.

Let me just say this once, and for the record. I'm not DIR, and I have never purchased anything from Halcyon. However:

Business is business. Patents are filed, prices are determined, lawsuits are filed and threatening letters are sent each and every day. It's called business. As a business owner, I've considered filing suit against former clients over financial issues - does that make me mean and evil? Heck, I hope not.

I will make my purchasing decisions, now, and in the future, on the best gear available at the best price. The only other factors I'm willing to consider are all entirely dive related. I don't support OMS, for example, because they manufacture a 100 pound wing, and that doesn't fill me with confidence over the rest of their lineup (although their BP's are very nice.)

To boycott a company over a legal issue is tantamount to not purchasing Abyss gear because they are headquartered in Arizona. Obviously, Arizona is landlocked, so Abyss must have no clue what their doing, huh? Obviously not! Such an argument lacks logic.

So does boycotting a company over a legal issue - ESPECIALLY in the United States where with an independant judicial system, these things have a way of working themselves out. Either Halcyon wins and gets money because they deserve it, or they lose because they don't deserve to win. And I won't accept the argument of expensive lawyers beating up on expensive lawyers here - I KNOW Air Liquide could run circles around Halcyon's legal team based on legal funding alone.

Ultimately, you can always choose to dive with everything from a pink snorkel and Air2's to a fully DIR compliant rig - I don't care. But to not use Halcyon products simply because of a business/legal issue is just ludicrous. It reeks of knee-jerk reactionism, and I think most of you have more common sense than that.

Oh - and by the way - other companies that have sued their competitors:

Coca-Cola/ Pepsi/RC
GM/Ford/Chrysler/Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi/Nissan/Subaru/BMW/Volkswagen
Microsoft/Apple/Sun/IBM/Dell/Palm
Nike/Adidas/Reebok/Brooks/Puma
McDonalds/Burger King/Wendy's/White Castle/Subway
JVC/Sony/RCA/Philips/Magnasonic/
NASCAR/FIA/MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA

Need I go on???

Boogie, thanks for the smack in the face, I'll wake up now and look at this from a different point of view.

One question though, have there been any other big lawsuits between scuba gear makers before? Maybe people have a bad feeling towards Halcyon because they took the diving industry into the "perpetual-legal-mumbo-jumbo-pit-of-doom". Suits may be the norm of other industrys, but if it wasn't the norm in the diving industry then I guess I could understand why there would be displeasure.

Ryan

MikeS:
You're right, they should follow the Croation model; kill as many divers wearing OMS gear as they can untill the UN Peace Keepers show up. No offense. :sappy:

I know your kidding but it would be funnier if you actually pick on an enemy of the USA. We bombed the Serbs and Montegnegro as I remember. Croatia is on good diplomatic relations with the US. Actually its a great place to go dive. I went a few years ago and loved it. It is a quiet friendly country with a favorable exchange rate. They also are very friendly to Americans because we attacked their enemy and as I understand aided in their independence. I could look up the dive operator I used if anyone is interested, she was Croatian American and very nice. And no, I don't work for the Croatian Tourist Board, just a fan of good diving and historical accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom