Halcyon sueing OxyCheq, US Divers and others?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
BTW, although I've never landed in Croatia, I flew a plane over the area a few times. Just doing what Americans do best. :54:

come in late, and leave too soon?

sorry, just another black humor representation... :)

I don't think anyone should be boycotted... simply buy it if you like, and don't if you don't like it... let the courts do the rest... (regardless of the fact that suing anyone you can IS sick)

weekender:
We bombed the Serbs and Montegnegro as I remember. Croatia is on good diplomatic relations with the US.

If you go back and read the gest at Americans, you'll understand he was poking fun since we did step in to help them. It's like, we need help, but then when it's all over - back to despising the American way.

Kind of like the French times deux.

It's all kind of humerous. The Iraqi's a few generations from now will despise American's again too. Even though we are eradicating their nemesis now, they will forget. It's the easy thing to do.

Funny, how there's lot's of Croats in Wisconsin and other states. They have a very different opinion of Americans than those looking at us from across the pond.

Some of us American's risk our lives to defend other's freedoms. There's nothing wrong with a little gest when it's not always appreciated by the minority.

This is off topic. Sorry.

hvulin:
come in late, and leave too soon?

sorry, just another black humor representation... :)

Came in when asked, left when the mission was accomplished. Things better today than before I showed up?

I know you're just kidding! Me too. I'd like to get back and try some diving, but I'll have to land this time. I'm not good at leaving airplanes in flight, especially in full scuba!

Boogie711:
Oh - and by the way - other companies that have sued their competitors:

Coca-Cola/ Pepsi/RC
GM/Ford/Chrysler/Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi/Nissan/Subaru/BMW/Volkswagen
Microsoft/Apple/Sun/IBM/Dell/Palm
Nike/Adidas/Reebok/Brooks/Puma
McDonalds/Burger King/Wendy's/White Castle/Subway
JVC/Sony/RCA/Philips/Magnasonic/
NASCAR/FIA/MLB/NFL/NHL/NBA

Need I go on???

You would have a point if this wasn't a illegitimate lawsuit. The suit is over trim weights for god sake, I don't know which patent covers it specifically, but the earliest one was in 1999, trim weights were around long before that.

It's not the action of the suit that bothers me, it's the fact that they are trying to subvert their competition with baseless lawsuits.

Ben

mempilot:
This is off topic. Sorry.

Off topic yes.

Little jokes here and there are fun, also you can't and shouldn't censor yourself to display no pride in your country. But come on, unless you want to create conflict/provoke, don't post messages like that.

Ryan

rcrs007:
One question though, have there been any other big lawsuits between scuba gear makers before?

I'm not sure what you mean by "big"...But I think this qualifies....

There are at least two patent lawsuits pending right now in the dive industry involving computer manufacturers. (Suunto, Johnson Outdoors...)

So, the dive industry is like many others, and not devoid of lawsuits like the public may think...Often, it is just that we don't know they exist, but they do.

scubasean:
I'm not sure what you mean by "big"...But I think this qualifies....

There are at least two patent lawsuits pending right now in the dive industry involving computer manufacturers. (Suunto, Johnson Outdoors...)

So, the dive industry is like many others, and not devoid of lawsuits like the public may think...Often, it is just that we don't know they exist, but they do.

Alright, thanks for confirming. Guess that the debate has 2 sides then:

1. People are neutral to H because they believe that until the lawsuit is solved they have no right to judge/they know that sueing is an industry norm

2. People dislike H because they know enough to (in their mind) believe that it's a lawsuit that has no basis and is a dishonerable business tactic

Hmm, now I don't even know which side I'm on ?
Meh, I'll keep the H gear I bought recently and wait for more info before I do anything drastic with my first bp/wing.

Are there any other information sources, other than SB, TDS and that PDF file Gator has ?

Ryan

Scuba Cowboy:
Something better IS made. IMO, OMS, Abyss, & Oxycheq make better products than Halcyon. The only wing failures I've heard about have been Halcyon wings. Its also been my experience that the company with the inferior product is the one who files suit. Looks to me like Halcyon is afraid of the competition, and they should be.

OMS should not even be in the same sentence as Halcyon. OMS products are a joke, plain and simple. Funny, I have two Halcyon wings and so does my usual buddy...zero problems between us. I don't know about Abyss wings, but based on what I have seen online, I don't want an Oxycheq either.

rcrs007:
Alright, thanks for confirming. Guess that the debate has 2 sides then:

1. People are neutral to H because they believe that until the lawsuit is solved they have no right to judge/they know that sueing is an industry norm

2. People dislike H because they know enough to (in their mind) believe that it's a lawsuit that has no basis and is a dishonerable business tactic

Ryan

A third possibility (and there are probably fifth, sixth and seventh ...) is that some folks don't form an opinion of either way as to the companies products regardless of the state of any lawsuit involving patents.

One could say on one side that a company is protecting its intellectual property...On the other side, the big mean company is suing on something that may have existed many years ago...(By the way, have the folks that believe this actually looked at the claims of the patents? I have not...) Either way, it won't likely change the goods that they produce...

I have no connection good or bad with Halcyon, and don't have a stake in whether they win or lose.

I seem to recall that Suunto is being sued for patent infringement, and nobody seems to care...Why is the Halcyon suit so popular?

rcrs007:
Are there any other information sources, other than SB, TDS and that PDF file Gator has ?

Certainly...What info are you looking for?

rcrs007:
Hmm, now I don't even know which side I'm on ?
Meh, I'll keep the H gear I bought recently and wait for more info before I do anything drastic with my first bp/wing.

Ryan,

Why would you do anything drastic with your bp/wing regardless of the outcome of this lawsuit? You have the equip, whether you like the company or not - it is still good equip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom