Gouged by ATM in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps it was that you got US dollars out of the ATM.
I also suspect that at least part of the problem is getting US$.

The ATM dispenses US$ at a 10% inflated exchange rate to get a withdrawal amount in pesos. Then when the charge are sent to the US, they are converted AGAIN, into US$ at another 10% inflated exchange rate.

Net effective exchange comission of about 20%.

Just a guess, but this is a plausible explanation.

I would take it a step further and only use the ATM which is in the bank. I had a card clonned from one of the Mega ATM's early this year. Day after using it the CC reported 15 or so ATM withdrawals attempted in Libia. Not that much security associated with those machines in public places.

Don't need to: I thanked the Fraud Dept Supervisor profusely by phone already!
A written commendation would be very nice.

I also suspect that at least part of the problem is getting US$.

The ATM dispenses US$ at a 10% inflated exchange rate to get a withdrawal amount in pesos. Then when the charge are sent to the US, they are converted AGAIN, into US$ at another 10% inflated exchange rate.

Net effective exchange comission of about 20%.

Just a guess, but this is a plausible explanation.

Yes it is

I have used my cap one card repeatedly at Mega. I did use my ATM card too, but maybe I should stick to the credit card. They charge $10 fee, but no % and the exchange rate is top notch. I want pesos and don't really want to stand in line at the cambio.
Of course the cloning crap goes on everywhere. We get calls everyday from people who never left the US and got there card info swiped. Years ago I found a fraudlent charge on my credit union card. Researched it quick and found it was for airline tickets, a two leg flight from Tampa to Cali. The plane was acutally in the air and I got the two little punks pulled off the flight in Sky Harbor. Last year I had a lady get her card cloned. Guy got picked up in FL with a car full of case of cigarettes and the like. He had a wallet full of card with his name and other peoples info. With the little hand held scanners now, if it leaves your sight, you just never know.

Of course the cloning crap goes on everywhere. We get calls everyday from people who never left the US and got there card info swiped. Years ago I found a fraudlent charge on my credit union card. Researched it quick and found it was for airline tickets, a two leg flight from Tampa to Cali. The plane was acutally in the air and I got the two little punks pulled off the flight in Sky Harbor. Last year I had a lady get her card cloned. Guy got picked up in FL with a car full of case of cigarettes and the like. He had a wallet full of card with his name and other peoples info. With the little hand held scanners now, if it leaves your sight, you just never know.

That is sweet. It's good to hear some of these thieves getting pursued and caught, too often it seems like the attitude is that nothing gets done about it.

Christi, glad you made it through your escapade, I was praying for a victory outcome. Oh, ah , yea take cash when you travel.

Happy Diving

Glad your bank did the right thing. I'm coming down tomorrow and I'm bringing cash and don't plan on using my card unless some emergency comes up. I'm always worried to use my check card anytime I leave the country. Oh.. and thanks for the heads up about this situation.

Another thing that I forgot to metion in my previous post, I use a preloaded Gift Card that has a MasterCard access. What this does is limit the loss that I can get hit for, if I load $500 on it then 500 is the most that I can lose.
Just a tip for limiting exposure into your bank account or a large credit limit that you might have on a credit card...

I personally have been ripped off for hundreds of dollars by the HSBC ATM in the Mega Store. After going through the info and PIN the ATM said "unable to dispense cash at this time".Then the same thing with the Scotia Bank ATM. When I reviewed my account one of those attempts charged my account three times for 3000 pesos, and once 2 times.

Wells Fargo says they cannot do anything about it--never will I again use any ATM in Cozumel, not even the "safe" ones.

In Cozumel it is much safer to bring a lot of cash with you, much less likely to be ripped off.

This ought to be big news.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

You're one of the few that has the stature on this board to post such a statement, as it's very non-politically-correct to be this honest.

Back
Top Bottom