A couple thoughts on grocery shopping in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I am stuck in the past; my default tip amount is still 15%. As for the talk about people who get tips needing a "raise", rising prices have already taken care of that.
I agree, rising prices automatically mean percentage tips get bigger. I remember that 10% used to be the standard in the U.S. for good service, then people kept pushing it upward because of rising prices, which makes no sense. 15% is also still my go to for basic service in restaurants, less for bad or less service, more when warranted (I have tipped much more at times). I don't necessarily apply the same percentages to every service.

I hesitate to tell this story... but I will anyway. My bro in law and were coming out of Mega with beer and other supplies, and when we got to the bottom of the escalator and headed for the door a guy was standing there who said, "Taxi?"

I could see a couple of taxis parked at the curb right there by the door, so I just sort of ignored him and walked out with our cart. The drivers told me which of them was up next, so we loaded up and took off. As we pulled out of the lot, my BIL said to me, "That guy back there was really pissed off at you."

Submitted without comment.
The door guy wanted a tip? I don't think I would have noticed.
A 10% bonus feels like a nice reward, but the whole restaurant and bar industry has developed an attitude of "We don't pay employees. That's your job!" Grr.
To add salt to the wound, they'll tack on an automatic gratuity for groups, and even figure that 15-20% tip on total after taxes! Why include sales tax on the tippable amount?! I have been known to adjust those figures on my tabs.

I hesitate to tell this story... but I will anyway. My bro in law and were coming out of Mega with beer and other supplies, and when we got to the bottom of the escalator and headed for the door a guy was standing there who said, "Taxi?"

I could see a couple of taxis parked at the curb right there by the door, so I just sort of ignored him and walked out with our cart. The drivers told me which of them was up next, so we loaded up and took off. As we pulled out of the lot, my BIL said to me, "That guy back there was really pissed off at you."

Submitted without comment.
I can't remember the name of the silver jewelry store on the square, however, I was looking for it one night and one of the vendor gauntlet people asked me what I was look for. I told him and he proceeded to guide me there. I told him no, just tell me. He took me anyways and then asked for a tip which I declined to give.

At least tipping here is fairly affordable. I leave the gas attendant 20 pesos if he washes my windows, the baggers get the same general tip amount depending on how much stuff. I tip the guy at Sams that packs all the stuff I bought into my car and then returns the cart. Definitely worth a few pesos for me! Restaurant tipping is the same as the states, the bill is usually much less. Its all good for me and is factored into our spending budget. I don’t tip for directions, door openers otr help finding a bathroom.

Credit card transactions are always charged in pesos, in my experience. It may even be the law. The amount is converted at the international bank rate not the store rate. I'm not sure how you coud possibly know what conversion rate was applied or what fees he was charged. Many cards have no international transaction fees. Plus the Mega scanner isn't going to eat your card or debit your card and not give you the money and less likely (imo) to have a skimmer on it. Many have had such issues with ATMs.

While tourists should make an attempt to know the local customs, tipping baggers is not something you typically see mentioned in travel guides and it isn't the custom anywhere else that I know. Maybe they should put a little container out marked "Tips - Propinas" as a cue.
Actually - the store sets the exchange rate at the registers if you ask them to run the card in dollars - however if running the card in pesos correct, the bank converts the pesos to ISD in your account. You’re always better off the pay on pesos. ATM withdrawals are converted by the bank rate. When living there, I always made sure I had small bills or coins so I could tip them - most of the time I gave them 50 pesos unless it was just a few things then I would give them coins or 20 bill

Actually - the store sets the exchange rate at the registers if you ask them to run the card in dollars - however if running the card in pesos correct, the bank converts the pesos to ISD in your account. You’re always better off the pay on pesos. ATM withdrawals are converted by the bank rate. When living there, I always made sure I had small bills or coins so I could tip them - most of the time I gave them 50 pesos unless it was just a few things then I would give them coins or 20 bill

Any merchant that runs it in dollars is doing their customer a disservice. Since all bank transactions must be in pesos, right, it must be doing a double conversion like the dollar ATMs. Any customer that insists on dollars is a touron because dollars are coming out of their bank account in either scenario.

Any merchant that runs it in dollars is doing their customer a disservice. Since all bank transactions must be in pesos, right, it must be doing a double conversion like the dollar ATMs. Any customer that insists on dollars is a touron because dollars are coming out of their bank account in either scenario.
Exactly but if people are not savvy enough travelers to figure out the exchange rate and insist on “merica-izing” their vacation - well that’s on them

cradit cards can charge in both local or home currently (at least in europe). if charged in local, the exchange rate is very good from my experience. also, you have to check with your CC and see if there is a charge for international purchases. Usually there is 3% charge, however, some cards offers no charge benefits (my mine).

Agreed, I don't tip baggers in the US. Most often, the person running the register does the bagging, its really not a two person job. It wouldn't cross my mind to tip at all. Now if the bagger also carried the groceries outside to the car or something, sure, I'd tip.

Do the locals tip the baggers at Mega?
Yes. All the time.

Not against what you are doing. I do the same. But I have never seen a local tip that much. It is usually a tiny amount. Have you seen otherwise?
I am not as generous as Judy. I just give them the small change I get back, up to about $10 pesos. And I tip the guy who helps take it to my car and unload it into my cart. These guys are not paid employees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom