A couple thoughts on grocery shopping in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got home last night from a week in Coz. A few days ago I witnessed something that compelled me to share, if only because it brings to light a simple but important issue that seems to fly under the radar for a lot of people visiting the island.

I was in line at Mega to buy a couple bottles of water. The guy in front of me, obviously an American tourist (I'm not profiling here... I'm just stating a fact) had a basket of groceries. The cashier rang them up, gave him the total of around 1500 pesos, which was converted at the register, at a rate of 18.4 pesos to the dollar, to around $80.

The helper at the end of the counter bagged all the groceries. The guy put his credit card in the machine, charged the $80, took his groceries and left. It was pretty obvious that he just had no idea the helpers work for tips.

But it got me thinking about the convenience and use of credit cards on the island. I always pull cash, in pesos, out of the ATMs and pay for everything that way during my stay. There are several ATMs in Mega, very convenient. And on this trip I got a rate of slightly above 20 pesos to the dollar. Many US banks offer competitive pricing on foreign ATM withdrawals, just like credit cards with "no foreign transaction fees", so it's not difficult to arrange this.

Watching this unfold, I thought about two competing scenarios:

1. The guy uses his credit card, pays an unfavorable exchange rate that the store has to charge to cover their credit card fees, ends up paying $80 (or more... with conversion fees from his card company), and the net effect: he pays $80, the bank makes money, and the grocery bagger gets nothing.

2. If instead the guy stopped at the ATM in the store, pulled out 1500 pesos, it would cost him $75. He could pay for the groceries with that cash, and probably have 10 or 20 pesos left over (I think the actual total was around 1470) to hand to the helper as a tip. The net effect? He pays only $75 instead of $80, the bagger gets a well deserved tip... and the banks don't make the money on the transaction.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against banks making money when they provide a useful service. But the cash option at the Mega, along with tipping the helpers, is the better option here... especially since the ATMs are right there in the store. Just something to think about if you're heading to the grocery store on Coz.

However... I know some of you are far more experienced in the ways of Cozumel than I will ever be. If any of what I've written here is off base, please feel free to let me know. I'm always learning.

Baggers at US grocery stores often don’t get tips and may not even be allowed to accept them. Given that, why would it occur to American tourist to tip the bagger in a Coz supermarket?

I did not know for a long time that the baggers worked just for tips. I didn’t occur to me to tip until a local friend filled me in. I can’t fault a visitor for not knowing.
Agreed, I don't tip baggers in the US. Most often, the person running the register does the bagging, its really not a two person job. It wouldn't cross my mind to tip at all. Now if the bagger also carried the groceries outside to the car or something, sure, I'd tip.

Do the locals tip the baggers at Mega?

Agreed, I don't tip baggers in the US. Most often, the person running the register does the bagging, its really not a two person job. It wouldn't cross my mind to tip at all. Now if the bagger also carried the groceries outside to the car or something, sure, I'd tip.

Do the locals tip the baggers at Mega?
Yes! baggers at Mega and Chedraui are very often tipped by locals and expats. They are not paid by the store. We usually leave 20 pesos, maybe more depending on how many bags and what change or small bills I have.

Credit card transactions are always charged in pesos, in my experience. It may even be the law. The amount is converted at the international bank rate not the store rate. I'm not sure how you coud possibly know what conversion rate was applied or what fees he was charged. Many cards have no international transaction fees. Plus the Mega scanner isn't going to eat your card or debit your card and not give you the money and less likely (imo) to have a skimmer on it. Many have had such issues with ATMs.

While tourists should make an attempt to know the local customs, tipping baggers is not something you typically see mentioned in travel guides and it isn't the custom anywhere else that I know. Maybe they should put a little container out marked "Tips - Propinas" as a cue.

The baggers are part of a program to provide income to retirees or elderly and work for tips. Gotta watch them though as many will put your eggs on the bottom of the bag and then seemingly put every heavy thing they can find on top. All have been very polite.

When you check out, the cashier can show the total in pesos or USD. The rate will be the store rate. If you get both you can do the math. The 18.4 seems low however the rate (MXN to USD) dipped low for a short time. Mega (Sorianas actually - they bought Mega) and Chedraui usually have very good rates compared to what you will get at other establishments and especially the change houses. If the rate dipped for Mega/Chedraui, it dipped for bank card rates.

Many don't want the hassle of ATMs or risking not getting past the fees options on the screens. And as mentioned, having a card not returned. Mega is not going to open up the ATM for you. Many don't care about a few dollars or pesos. I leave anywhere from 10 to 40 pesos depending on how much we have purchased. I have asked the cashier to break larger peso bills to smaller to give to the baggers (Spanish though). The baggers will take dollars (not US coins though - those are worthless here).

Just went to Mega. I put my five small items in my tote bag and didn’t tip myself. I had no idea tipping baggers was a thing. The HSBC machine wasn’t working so I used my credit card for the purchase and requested it to be done in pesos - I don’t know if I could have requested it be done in US dollars. My card has no foreign transaction fees.

Last May in chedruai I did not see any baggers.
I can't remember when they let the baggers back in. It was a covid protocol to protect older people. I thought it was before May but not sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom