A couple thoughts on grocery shopping in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The heck you say! Tipping is getting absurd, and contrary to some opinions I believe it is actually some Americans who have been changing the customs in Mexico and elsewhere -- and the locals of these locations (at least those who don't want tips for their work) are not that happy with this change.
I absolutely agree with you that tipping has gotten out of hand. Not only with Americans (& others) shifting customs in other countries but also in the USA. Coz is on par with USA tipping standards for most services like restaurants, bars, diving etc.. Local guidelines are helpful for tipping 'services' like gas attendants, grocery baggers, whatever else, etc.. My pet peeve concerning tipping is when you pay for something with a card, and they ask you how much of a tip you want to leave.

The heck you say! Tipping is getting absurd, and contrary to some opinions I believe it is actually some Americans who have been changing the customs in Mexico and elsewhere -- and the locals of these locations (at least those who don't want tips for their work) are not that happy with this change.

Call me a cranky old cuss, but I'm drawing some lines. I don't mind tipping for personal service, but I'm not tipping for regular job performance -- especially for folks doing things that I'd rather be doing myself (pumping gas, turning on the faucet in restrooms, etc.). If I want to give charity (which I have, and will continue) then I'll give to charity -- but this American trend of tip jars and requests for tips everywhere has gotten ridiculous, as has the excessive tipping virtue signaling. [end rant]

That's a good point. I hate tipping for services that I really don't want. I managed getting my bags packed in the car at home, I think I can manage putting them in the shuttle. I managed getting my bags through the airports, I think I can manage getting them from the hotel lobby to my room. I might actually appreciate an attendant pumping my gas if I could sit back and relax versus having to watch him like a hawk to keep from getting ripped off.

That's a good point. I hate tipping for services that I really don't want. I managed getting my bags packed in the car at home, I think I can manage putting them in the shuttle. I managed getting my bags through the airports, I think I can manage getting them from the hotel lobby to my room. I might actually appreciate an attendant pumping my gas if I could sit back and relax versus having to watch him like a hawk to keep from getting ripped off.
I hesitate to tell this story... but I will anyway. My bro in law and were coming out of Mega with beer and other supplies, and when we got to the bottom of the escalator and headed for the door a guy was standing there who said, "Taxi?"

I could see a couple of taxis parked at the curb right there by the door, so I just sort of ignored him and walked out with our cart. The drivers told me which of them was up next, so we loaded up and took off. As we pulled out of the lot, my BIL said to me, "That guy back there was really pissed off at you."

Submitted without comment.

I hesitate to tell this story... but I will anyway. My bro in law and were coming out of Mega with beer and other supplies, and when we got to the bottom of the escalator and headed for the door a guy was standing there who said, "Taxi?"

I could see a couple of taxis parked at the curb right there by the door, so I just sort of ignored him and walked out with our cart. The drivers told me which of them was up next, so we loaded up and took off. As we pulled out of the lot, my BIL said to me, "That guy back there was really pissed off at you."

Submitted without comment.

I've experienced variations of that. As if I'm too stupid to wave at a taxi myself. Or someone opening the door for you at an Oxxo. Sometimes it feels like someone has a hand out for simply telling you the time.

So they said.
Yes, they did and I have no reason to doubt them.
I still doubt that there is a grinder in the ATM, but it doesn't matter. Even it's just a case of them not wanting to retrieve it for you, you're not getting it back.

Not sure where the tipping of the gas pump attendants came from. I don't and no one I know of does that here. The only time I tip them is if they wash the windows and/or check tire pressure. I give somewhere around 10 - 20 pesos for that. It depends on what I have (coin or bills). I get out and watch for the zeros. Most here pay set amounts at the pump as opposed to "fill it up".

The grocery baggers are retirees or elderly and do it to pick up some money to live on. I am pretty sure they are not store employees. I have no problem giving money to them for bagging.

I've not tipped anyone for opening a door for me and have never been asked to.

The only time I tip on a card is at some restaurants. Anywhere else I don't get asked. I don't mind the built in tip percentage. I view it as a convenience and not an intrusive request that causes moral dilemmas.

With all this being said, I live here so I pay in pesos, have a Mexican bank account and my own car. Many know me by name and face so I can tell you there are less games/problems for me unless I deal with Mexican bureaucracy. If I have a problem here, I have time for recourse. Tourists not so much.

Where did this excessive tipping in the US start? Feeling helpful with college kids working their way thru school maybe? A 10% bonus feels like a nice reward, but the whole restaurant and bar industry has developed an attitude of "We don't pay employees. That's your job!" Grr. 15% was standard, then 20%, and I've heard that some New York City workers expect 30%. On and on it goes.
Tipping is getting absurd, and contrary to some opinions I believe it is actually some Americans who have been changing the customs in Mexico and elsewhere
Yeah, I think we lead the world in the problem and spread it in our travels.
this American trend of tip jars and requests for tips everywhere has gotten ridiculous
I'm cheap enough that I don't mind ignoring those.

But for the elderly baggers at Mega, I don't mind dropping a buck. I hate that I have to leave my backpack at the front counter, then rebag when I pick it up tho.

Where did this excessive tipping in the US start? Feeling helpful with college kids working their way thru school maybe? A 10% bonus feels like a nice reward, but the whole restaurant and bar industry has developed an attitude of "We don't pay employees. That's your job!" Grr. 15% was standard, then 20%, and I've heard that some New York City workers expect 30%. On and on it goes.
I guess I am stuck in the past; my default tip amount is still 15%. As for the talk about people who get tips needing a "raise", rising prices have already taken care of that.
I still doubt that there is a grinder in the ATM, but it doesn't matter. Even it's just a case of them not wanting to retrieve it for you, you're not getting it back.
I have the word of the bank manager and this from

https://www.sapling.com/6579614/happens-card-left-atm

Auto-Shred Feature​

Some ATM machines are equipped with an auto-shred feature that destroys all abandoned cards and deposits the pieces into the reject tray. In this case, whoever services the machine is responsible for disposing of the pieces in a bank-approved, secure manner. The pieces cannot simply be dropped into a public waste basket where a thief could access them.

Back
Top Bottom