A couple thoughts on grocery shopping in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe they should put a little container out marked "Tips - Propinas" as a cue.
Tipping in the US and in markets greatly influenced by the US like Cozumel is so overdone. I'm fine tipping the old folks working as baggers now that I know, but I hate to see it overdone.
Gotta watch them though as many will put your eggs on the bottom of the bag and then seemingly put every heavy thing they can find on top. All have been very polite.
Yeah, I doubt that they get the training baggers in the US get, but then I had to ask for changes with a US grocery bagger today, and then there is Walmart which expects you to check and bag yourself - then risk getting busted for shoplifting if things go south.
I used my credit card for the purchase and requested it to be done in pesos
If you have to use a card, I think requesting it be done in Pesos works best, I think,

I get my Pesos at the HCSB machine at the end of the block from my hotel, but it is challenging keeping up with two currencies, then trying not to come home with too many. Google is showing 20½ Pesos to the USD at the moment.

Yes! baggers at Mega and Chedraui are very often tipped by locals and expats. They are not paid by the store. We usually leave 20 pesos, maybe more depending on how many bags and what change or small bills I have.
Not against what you are doing. I do the same. But I have never seen a local tip that much. It is usually a tiny amount. Have you seen otherwise?

Not against what you are doing. I do the same. But I have never seen a local tip that much. It is usually a tiny amount. Have you seen otherwise?
I agree, my tipping is a bit more than some. I see locals tip a few pesos. No doubt the baggers are very happy with anything.

It would be hard to overtip. These baggers are not getting rich and it's best for all that they are able to earn more by bagging than by begging.

Baggers at US grocery stores often don’t get tips and may not even be allowed to accept them. Given that, why would it occur to American tourist to tip the bagger in a Coz supermarket?
It should occur to the shopper, if they noticed the behavior of people on line ahead of them, or in the next lane, tipping the bagger.

It makes sense to pay attention to local customs.

Situational awareness. It's not just for when you are under water.

It should occur to the shopper, if they noticed the behavior of people on line ahead of them, or in the next lane, tipping the bagger.

It makes sense to pay attention to local customs.

Situational awareness. It's not just for when you are under water.
🙄🤦‍♀️

I have seen the checkers ask their baggers to break a bill so the checker can make change.
It should occur to the shopper, if they noticed the behavior of people on line ahead of them
Are you one of those who count items in the less than ten lane?

Are you one of those who count items in the less than ten lane?

Not so much.

I've lived & traveled outside the US enough that I try to pay close attention to local practices like behavior at checkout lines, street crossings, ticket booths (movies, trains, etc), how to get a waiter's attention & pay a check in a restaurant, etc.

Swimming with the current makes everything go more easily.

Baggers at US grocery stores often don’t get tips and may not even be allowed to accept them. Given that, why would it occur to American tourist to tip the bagger in a Coz supermarket?
Yes, exactly. I didn't mean to imply with my original post that the guy in front of me should have known.
But as with any local customs, it's up to us (i.e. those that have been there before) to spread the word.

It would also be nice if people travelling internationally took some time to find out what they should know about local customs, and not assume that everywhere on the planet will conform to societal norms of the USA just because a US citizen chooses to grace their country with their presence. When we do this, we allow international travel to serve as a positive means of cultural exchange, instead of a source of irritation and resentment.

Back
Top Bottom