Gouged by ATM in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had no problems with the HSBC ATM, we got a preloaded gift card from our bank $750 before we left. We got pesos 3 times form the HSBC ATM, 3000, 3000, and 2000 the fees were 21 pesos. Perhaps it was that you got US dollars out of the ATM.

It is a combimation of using non-bank-affiliated ATMs and using those machines to withdraw USD

Whoa!

Just spoke to Fraud Dept at my bank (again) and they have refunded me the money and put an alert on those ATMs pending further investigation - whatever that actually means. They said they believe my story re a *mis-dispense of funds*

Go Citibank!

I think I'll write a letter to some bigwig in Coz too. Those ATMs need to be put in check.

:no:
Glad you stuck it out and won. :thumb:

Just checked my online account activity - my mistake: it doesn't give name of company that owns and runs the ATM service but the ATMs are the ones at the end of every street in Coz and presumably distinct and separate from the bank owned machines in the town center

edit

Whoa!

Just spoke to Fraud Dept at my bank (again) and they have refunded me the money and put an alert on those ATMs pending further investigation - whatever that actually means. They said they believe my story re a *mis-dispense of funds*

Go Citibank!

I think I'll write a letter to some bigwig in Coz too. Those ATMs need to be put in check.

:no:

Don't forget to write the 2nd letter, the one to Citi Bank thanking them for their world class service you received.

Is the card you used actually an ATM card or is it in fact a credit card? Credit card transactions are like a colonostomy when it comes to the hidden fees. Check with your bank and ask the questions pertaining to out of country transactions. They have to provide you with the rules and fees. When I was in Santiago, Chile the best exchanges were with an ATM card.
I still can't sit down from a transaction for cash with a credit card in Las Vegas, NV this spring.

Okay, so WTF now?

I thought this ATM thing was the way to go in Cozumel, stick in your card, get back lots of those colorful pesos, avoid the exchange rate rip off....

now there isn't even a safe ATM machine in Cozumel to do this with?

Good grief, what's next a fake one, with a guy inside who grabs your card when you stick it in and he runs out the back and down the street with it?

thumb.php

Is the card you used actually an ATM card or is it in fact a credit card? Credit card transactions are like a colonostomy when it comes to the hidden fees. Check with your bank and ask the questions pertaining to out of country transactions. They have to provide you with the rules and fees. When I was in Santiago, Chile the best exchanges were with an ATM card.
I still can't sit down from a transaction for cash with a credit card in Las Vegas, NV this spring.

I used my debit card - I don't use credit cards

Okay, so WTF now?

I thought this ATM thing was the way to go in Cozumel, stick in your card, get back lots of those colorful pesos, avoid the exchange rate rip off....

Good grief, what's next a fake one, with a guy inside who grabs your card when you stick it in and he runs out the back and down the street with it?

thumb.php

My rip-off gouge was through the privately owned street ATMs at the end of every street. And I withdrew dollars which apparently added to the weirdness.
Use bank-affilliated ATMs in town and apparently you are more likely to be OK. Also some of the other people contributing to this thread say that your own USA bank may have a mexican affiliate which will further avoid fees and make ATM witdrawals safer

Okay, so WTF now?

thumb.php

Don't go overboard! Of course there are safe ATM's - as has been said numerous times - use the BANK affiliated ATM's vs the private stand alone ATM's on the street corner. Like Judy, I always use the Santander ATM that is actually at the bank corner of Av. 10 and Calle 3 - I have Bank of America in the states so there are no transaction fees.

As far as consumer protection, we actually have a very good agency called PROFECO. I am not sure if they can help with the ATM robbery - but it would definitely be worth a try. Their website is here and is available in English. Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor

Back
Top Bottom