My little trip report: Hotel Mary Carmen & Salty Endeavors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I meant about feeding the turtles.:)
There used to be a couple of land turtles that hung around the lawn behind Blue Angel. We fed them tomato and cantaloupe scraps. I do not advocate feeding the fish out on the reefs but I don't see a thing wrong with feeding those turtles.

Those turtles are like cats. They beg and beg then just ignore you after they get fed.
Henry runs a great dive op. I got to know him as he was buying the dive business. Happy you had a great experience with your old friend.

Hard to tell on my phone, but I think those turtles are some type of slider, perhaps melanistic (darkened) with age.

Our U.S. red eared slider, the little green turtles with red patches, would then be a near relative. More carnivorous as hatchlings, progressive herbivory with maturity, but never a strict vegetarian. Not a fruit eater in the wild.

I eat foods that aren’t so healthy for me, too.

Is that a good idea?
Land turtles are scavengers and eat pretty much whatever they can find. A friend had a few on her property and they ate dog poop. She didn't hand feed to the (obviously); they went looking for it.

Land turtles are scavengers and eat pretty much whatever they can find. A friend had a few on her property and they ate dog poop. She didn't hand feed to the (obviously); they went looking for it.
It was my mistake, initially thought he was talking about sea turtles, not land turtles

Those turtles are like cats. They beg and beg then just ignore you after they get fed.
:thumb:
tortoises (which are turtles)
Turtles, tortoises, terrapins? I'm certain that those are all Testudines, but those a really vague names that vary among English speaking countries. Some of y'all are trying to give specific opinions without identifying the specie.

Land turtles are scavengers
What does land turtle mean? A turtle than inhabits wetlands rather than oceans? I think most tortoises can swim as well.

Hard to tell on my phone, but I think those turtles are some type of slider, perhaps melanistic (darkened) with age.
Yeah, I think these are probably Mexican Ornate Sliders: Trachemys venusta venusta, as pictured below from a pet site.

MexicansliderD.jpg

Employees hose down the courtyard everyday, watering the multitude of plants and cleaning the deck. I guess all of the deck water ends up in the turtle pond as seen in my previous photo, and I suppose that they flush it with fresh tap water daily. Since tap water is untreated, the turtles aren't harmed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom