Gouged by ATM in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a good measure would be to "take a picture" of the transaction machine screen when you withdraw money when it shows what fee's you agree to. That way if you have a fraud dispute, you have a photo proof of what fees were listed.

Everyone's got a cell phone with a camera now days, so it's easy to do. A good cheap protection method to work for you in the case of a dispute.

I personally have been ripped off for hundreds of dollars by the HSBC ATM in the Mega Store. After going through the info and PIN the ATM said "unable to dispense cash at this time".Then the same thing with the Scotia Bank ATM. When I reviewed my account one of those attempts charged my account three times for 3000 pesos, and once 2 times.

Wells Fargo says they cannot do anything about it--never will I again use any ATM in Cozumel, not even the "safe" ones.

In Cozumel it is much safer to bring a lot of cash with you, much less likely to be ripped off.

This ought to be big news.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Problems with ATMs are universal. Its always a bit of a risk using one in Mexico(insert and any foreign countrys name)or in the US. Sadly, there is alway someone out there trying to steal money. There are storys in our local paper almost weekly about some local ATM scam. Same goes for carrying cash....it can be easily lost or stolen no matter how much care you take. We have never had an issue with the Sandander ATM in Cozumel but we check our balances daily even on vacation. We did have a big problem with someone getting into our accounts at home and buying a few lawn tractors at Home Depot in New Jersey. The good news was that the bank refunded us the stolen money and made us whole.
Bottom line for me, I hate to fly but like being on vacation and deal with it and I hate using my ATM any where but find it to be a necessary evil at home and on vacation so I am willing to take the risk.

The point I should have made more plainly is that even the bank owned ATMs at respectable places like the Mega store can rip you off. I don't believe that it was someone sitting behind me checking my PIN, or some other "cloning" activity. I honestly believe that the major banks HSBC (who I have my Aldora Divers accounts with) and Scotia Bank are happy to take a "blind eye" to the mistakes that their machines make and pad their profits. I know that is a strong statement to make but after living here for almost 20 years--I do believe it and would warn all of my friends and divers to forget using ANY ATM in Cozumel.

And don't worry about bringing cash to Cozumel, never heard of any robberies here like the ATMs, or better yet Travelers Checks if you are afraid of cash.

Maybe a new thread on this?

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I personally have been ripped off for hundreds of dollars by the HSBC ATM in the Mega Store. After going through the info and PIN the ATM said "unable to dispense cash at this time".Then the same thing with the Scotia Bank ATM. When I reviewed my account one of those attempts charged my account three times for 3000 pesos, and once 2 times.

Wells Fargo says they cannot do anything about it--never will I again use any ATM in Cozumel, not even the "safe" ones.

In Cozumel it is much safer to bring a lot of cash with you, much less likely to be ripped off.

This ought to be big news.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I called my bank and they said no-way we can't do anything but I got irritated and called again and asked for the Fraud Dept and i got a great supervisor who actually seemed interested and I got my money returned into my account within 24 hours weith the following message so it pays to be persistent though I do think it was down to Citibank simply *believing* me because the fee I was charged was not specified on my withdrawal (x 3) <--- it just appeared as though I had withdrawn an ofdd amount of USD.

Anyhoo I got a result so my faith in banks is rstored for the time being. Got this email this morning:

_____________________________________________________________________FroFFrom:
Date: 05-08-2011 Account Number : Subject: Your Research Request # XXXXXXX
Citibank Service Center 100 Citibank Drive USA

Dear Client:
Thank you for your inquiry on May 09, 2011, regarding the electronic transaction(s) that posted to your account.
Date
Amount
April 26, 2011
$237.91
May 02, 2011
$234.71
May 02, 2011
$348.59
We have completed our research and based on the results are pleased to notify you that your request has been honored. As a result, your account will be credited in the amount of $37.91, $34.71 and $48.59. We are also crediting your account $3.63 for the Foreign transaction fees assessed during the period of this investigation.
If you have any further questions regarding your account, please contact CitiPhone Customer Service at .......
Thank you for banking with ......
Sincerely,
H.Abdul
Client Research
The Citibank Service Center

:D

Last edited:
At the risk of being very non-PC, here are some conclusions I've drawn based on years of observation and personal experience dealing with today's version of customer service.

The front line people who answer the customer service lines are:

--not highly paid;
--have about 15 scripts they read from. If your particular situation isn't addressed in the script they are provided, they either (a) tell you it can't be done; or (b) make stuff up;
--don't have comprehensive knowledge of the company's workings beyond their limited scope and can't offer useful info beyond their above-stated script.

In today's business climate, you have to get past the front line customer service tier to someone who can actually address your particular situation and provide a remedy. The company has plenty of these people on the payroll--your mission is to find them. Keep going up the supervisor chain of command if you have to.

Your bank is your first line of defense and remedy where fraud is concerned, and the "fees" charged by this ATM are fraudulent, regardless of what the gal at the 800 number on your bank statement tells you.

Kudos to the OP for being persistent :)

Off my soapbox now....

Just returned from ten days in Cozumel. I used the Cashola ATM two times. I read very carefully that the fee was 44 pesos and I agreed. When I got home I see that I was charged almost 87$ dollars per visit to the ATM. I made two withdrawals of $500 dollars each and even have the receipt that shows the noted charges but nothing about the fees that I see now. I am so angry about this but don't know where to start or who to send my ATM receipt to...... I would not recommend any ATM and will bring all cash in dollars and pesos next time.

Just returned from ten days in Cozumel. I used the Cashola ATM two times. I read very carefully that the fee was 44 pesos and I agreed. When I got home I see that I was charged almost 87$ dollars per visit to the ATM. I made two withdrawals of $500 dollars each and even have the receipt that shows the noted charges but nothing about the fees that I see now. I am so angry about this but don't know where to start or who to send my ATM receipt to...... I would not recommend any ATM and will bring all cash in dollars and pesos next time.
Call your bank...!!

Did you get dollars or pesos? Its very expensive to get US dollars from an ATM in Cozumel. Most of the fees might be from your bank. We use Santander Bank ATMs in Cozumel. With our Bank of America account there are no fees. We always get pesos. It is the best way for us to get money in Cozumel, we get a great exchange rate and no fees.

Cash cash cash it's that simple.... why make life more stressful than it needs to be? :shakehead:

Sounds like you used the freestanding ATM machines on the street that are not associated with any banks. If so, that was a mistake. I wish there was a way to warn every tourist about these machines - I tell everyone I come in contact with! The ATM machines associated with banks don't charge more than $20 pesos per transaction and that is really the only charge you will receive from THEM.

I only use the Santander machines because I get free withdrawals with my Bank of America card - and it is AT the bank, so if there is a problem, I can have it looked into immediately!

Also, as Judy said - if you were getting dollars vs. pesos that could have created extra conversion fees by your bank. SOme people don't realize that your bank will also charge you. I closed my Wells Fargo account because they were charging me $5 per transaction, plus conversion fees - that really adds up!

Sorry that happened, but don't blame all ATM's - and hopefully others reading this will learn not to use those free standing ATM machines on the street corners!

Back
Top Bottom