Review ATM report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe when I take $6000 MXN out of the Banamex ATM my bank, Schwab checking not VISA, is on the hook to replace that $6000 MXN to Banamex. Banamex also gets a service fee for their service. How much Schwab charges my account in $USD for the 6000 MXN is set by Schwab. I have compared what Schwab charges me with others (Wells Fargo comes to mind) and there are differences. I am not charging anything to VISA but withdrawing my money from my bank account.
Your Schwab Bank debit card is a Visa card. I've had one for 20 years. Schwab uses the Visa exchange rate and has for many years. You should call a Schwab Bank rep and ask if you want a ruling. I called when I got a crappy rate for an ATM transaction in Baja and a Schwab Bank manager assured me I was getting the daily Visa rate, and sure enough, Visa had a really crappy rate for the day in question, and that's what I got.

Wells Fargo may use a different rate calculation; my comment was about how Schwab Bank handles debit card transactions.

Example: last month on 7/13, I took out $15,000 pesos from a Banorte ATM in Puebla. The Visa exchange rate for the day was 20.67. Banorte charges 46.20 pesos for withdrawals.

-15,000 pesos @ 20.67 = $725.39 USD
- 46.20 pesos @ 20.67 = $2.23 USD
-------------------------- $727.62 USD

from my Schwab account (they rounded up 1 cent) = $727.63

atm 7-13.png
calc1.png
calc2.png

OK, when I compared the current MXN to USD Visa conversion rate with Oanda's converter they were virtually the same with 20.1957:1 for Visa (-0.11% off the European Central bank) rate verses 20.1788:1 for Oando.
But to the point of your friendly neighborhood bankers transaction fees, which I suspect vary depending on the type of account you have with a given bank. This accounts for the variance in net 'real' exchange rates between banks.

1661011579490.png

Capital One does not charge a fee for using your credit card for foreign currency transactions. Foreign purchases will be converted at the foreign exchange rate in effect at the time of processing the charge. Pulling $$ out of an ATM with the Cap1 credit card may be different. I use my Cap1 for credit card puchases in MX (Dive shop, Chedraui/Mega, Isis car rental), but Schwab for my ATM $$. I detest fees! Also, Santander ATM has always been reliable in my experience. I think its Bancomer on 30th that has an ATM where you slide vs insert the card. Has anyone had the contact-less experience in CZM? i.e...Tapping the card or your iPhone.

This morning I got $4.04 reimbursed from WF. I'm not sure why, perhaps I should ask sometime, but I'll take it. So that reduces my WF cost to $353.41 = 19.80 MXN to USD, so hardly any cost.
Today, the google quoted rate is 20.20MXN to USD, but for that day when that rate was 19.97, 19.80 is about 0.15% cost, so negligible or approximately zero. I do need to talk to CB about why they charged me so much.

I spoke with the two banks...

Wells Fargo allows me one foreign withdrawal per month with the foreign bank fees refunded, so that's how I got the $4.04 reimbursed. They actually refunded a little more than charged based on that day's conversion rates, but I guess their figures worked somehow. They are paying such a pathetically low interest rate that I may well be leaving them, but that's how that worked. I underlined me only because I did not research the requirements for that benefit, so other customers would need to ask about their benefits.

Citibank charged me a Foreign Transaction Fee of $10.72, but advised that they could change account types that allow free withdrawals, and I said "Please do so," so we'll see how well that works next time.

Somewhat off topic, but if I chose to arrive in Cozumel with enough USD for all meals, taxis, etc. would I be able to exchange USD for pesos at a fair rate (like a credit card rate)? I fully understand that getting the tab in pesos and paying in pesos is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom