Question ATM Near Casa Mexicana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
living4experiences

living4experiences

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I usually get my Pesos from Wells Fargo before I travel, but their fees have gone up substantially. Now that I have the Schwab debit card, I don't have to worry about the ATM fees. We're staying at Casa Mexicana and looking for a reputable, mainstream bank ATM within a short walking distance. I know there's a 7-11 store practically on site, but I don't know if it's a trusted bank ATM. Any recommendations? TIA!

Be careful of any convenience 'conversion fee' and decline. The Santander bank was the worst for this about 3 years back and at one point would refuse to dispense if you didn't agree to it. I believe they have retreated back from this but if you agree to it the conversion their exchange rate clips you for about 6%. The Schwab card gives a full conversion without any foreign transaction fees. At just a couple blocks south Mega has a full selection of bank machines. I prefer the Banamex machines.

The ATMs at the Mega are secure and a walk around the store is always fun.
I have used the atm at MEGA many times. but one time I got a message "cannot dispense cash at this time". Lots of bogus charges later showed up. no more, only bank ATMS!

DAVE DILLEHAY

The HBSC on the square is now a vacant building. That was my go to. There is an HSBC ATM at Mega and a Scotiabank ATM at Mega. I have also used Santander. Similar ATMs at Chedraui.
Who would have thought a British and Spanish bank are the trusted ATM's on an Island so full of American and so close to the USA

An ATM does not care if it is accessing a credit union or a bank; my debit card is from a CU and I have had no problems using it on Cozumel in bank owned ATMs.
Great to know, thanks! Sounds like bank-owned ones are best.

Banco Santander, HSBC, scotiabank?

Great to know, thanks! Sounds like bank-owned ones are best.

Banco Santander, HSBC, scotiabank?
Yes, my advice is to only use bank owned ATMs. The worst are the free standing machines out on the sidewalks that disburse US$. There have been numerous reports of these machines fleecing tourists.

And, as mentioned, decline the ATM’s stated conversion rate. Your own bank or CU will determine the rate (which will be much closer to the official rate, thus better for you). There will still be a fee; some banks will reimburse it. Mine does.

+1 on not "accepting" the initially offered rate. DandyDon did a whole post on this a couple f years ago with helpful pictures. Basically, the ATM proposes an exchange rate, you decline it, then the ATM proceeds with the transaction and you get the bank rate determined by your card's bank.

I have used the one at Mega a couple of times with no troubles, but 100% defer to Dave D for this and probably won't use it again.

I think the is the place ggunn is talking about:
1706387097709.png

I think the is the place ggunn is talking about:
View attachment 823665
It is. Most of the time I use the first one on the right when I go in the door.

Banamex is Citibank in Mexico [verified]. It has the citi swoosh and the menus are all citi-colored for verification.
Banamex is the only one, that I'm aware of, that doesn't play the conversion fee game. Additionally, they dispense a variety of notes, unlike Scotia which only dispenses $500 notes. Scotia, along with HSBC, charge the highest commissions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom