My maximum ATM withdrawal got boosted!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wouldn't it be easier for the bad guys to take all my money by going from ATM to ATM, rather than going store to store?

Many if not all banks limit the amount that you can get from ATMs in one 24-hour period.

I can use it at the store and a restaurant. Other than those 3, it's not that useful. It's not usable for internet purchases. Or if it is, I haven't figured it out yet.
granted, most of what I know about Canada is from Trailer Park Boys, but doesn't your ATM/debit card have a Visa or Master Card logo on it?

granted, most of what I know about Canada is from Trailer Park Boys, but doesn't your ATM/debit card have a Visa or Master Card logo on it?

No, mine doesn't. It's attached to my bank account, not a credit card.

A debit card has a lot less purchase protections than a credit card. I was pretty peeved when our bank made us take a debit card instead of an ATM card.

I have a maximum ATM withdrawal limit at my credit union. (I have no idea what it is but I typically withdraw $10,000-12,000 pesos at a time to minimize transaction fees.). But I do know that what I can withdraw in Mexico varies slightly from day to day due to the exchange rate. If the peso falls relative to the Canadian dollar, then I can withdraw more pesos on that day than I can when the peso is up relative to the Canadian dollar. So exchange rates COULD also affect the amount you can withdraw at Mexican ATMs... I can't say that I have sufficiently tested the system to figure out when I finally get denied to make the withdrawal I ask for.

The debit cards with a Mastercard/Visa logo on them allow you to make purchases online from sites that accept credit cards but the purchase is immediately debited to your bank balance so it's not really a credit card. You also can't go in a store and present a debit card and tell them to run it as a Visa for the obvious reason it's still a debit transaction regardless.

I have a maximum ATM withdrawal limit at my credit union. (I have no idea what it is but I typically withdraw $10,000-12,000 pesos at a time to minimize transaction fees.).
My first time using an ATM in Cozumel back when the Peso was close to 10:1 was probably at the same one I use these days at the corner of the Plaza across from the ferry dock. I was inexperienced at ATMs and intimidated by the Spanish, asked for $50 worth, and got 50 Pesos. Oops. I had to redo that for 500 Pesos with a second fee charged. Nowadays with the Peso at greater than 20:1 and some changes in my travel shopping plus a better understanding at how much better it is to use Pesos spending here and there, I'm more likely to take the maximum allowed and keep most in my room safe.

I am surprised that you have not asked what your maximum daily allowed is.

But I do know that what I can withdraw in Mexico varies slightly from day to day due to the exchange rate. If the peso falls relative to the Canadian dollar, then I can withdraw more pesos on that day than I can when the peso is up relative to the Canadian dollar. So exchange rates COULD also affect the amount you can withdraw at Mexican ATMs... I can't say that I have sufficiently tested the system to figure out when I finally get denied to make the withdrawal I ask for.
So have you ever had a transaction fail because you asked for too much? I suppose so since you don't know what your bank allows. I see the Peso has strengthened a little lately. It's now at 21.99:1 on google, 21.975 at WSJ. I wonder if that ATM will allow a $15,000 MXN withdrawal? I want to go during business hours and ask the teller to break some of the $500 MXN bills down.

You also can't go in a store and present a debit card and tell them to run it as a Visa for the obvious reason it's still a debit transaction regardless.
I think I used to do just that. It's been years since tho.

I wonder if banks are anticipating a large drop in the Pesos.
As I understand it when Covid hit the MXN / USD exchange rate went from around 18.5:1 to 25:1, about a loss of 1/3 of its relative value. At the time from everything I read it was primarily due to Mexican citizens fleeing to dollars as a reserve currency. Since then it has been recovering some of its value, or the dollar is losing value in general.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom