DPV Wish list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adequate quality control at the plant before shipping would be a very nice thing. The Seadoo Explorer has an intriguing specification performance envelope even more so for the price. There seemed to be little to no effective quality control however. Keeping production costs low is an obvious imperative as dictated by the unit price. However it needs to work reliably despite these limitations within reason. I went through four scooters before throwing in the towel and spending a lot more money on an Apollo AV-2 scooter. The Apollo has performed very nicely for me however.

Case in point, I had just ordered an Explorer and had high hopes of using it for some scooter free diving on the wall off Andros in the Bahamas over a long weekend. There was a delay in shipping in the USA so I received it late the day before travel. It was already boxed for shipping, brand new so I "assumed" it would be ok to open, charge and try it in the Bahamas. Bad assumption. I did just that and it ran for about 10 seconds before it was obvious the drive shaft was uncoupled within the pressure housing. There was nothing that I could do about this in the islands resulting in a severely messed up trip. Went through three more units back in the USA over time with various leaks in factory seals, uneven motor performance and other irregularities. I eventually gave up on the Explorer and Seadoo in general in utter disgust. This was in 2007 in fairness, have things changed?

Innovation is great, as is a desirable array of features and compelling price point. Unless the product is manufactured and assembled with sufficient care and effective oversight, these things amount to NOTHING. Best advice, get back to basics, produce a good reliable product at the factory, checking in the USA again after arrival at the distributor, THEN consider technological improvements. I suspect this isn't news however to Seadoo, what efforts if any have been undertaken to address these problems since that time?

I won't even bill you for the good advice or extreme inconvenience and expense in arriving at these useful conclusions on your behalf. Taking care of business is the best innovation for starters.

....actually things have changed and the explorer earlier put in the market by company called DAKA is now being made for BRP by a new manufacturer and put in the market as Explorer-X; a different unit in that is has an upgraded sealing and uses a different plastic composition for the hull. This brings the unit to where it claims it is in performance and reliability. It's an awesome recreational DPV .............

man, but we did go back to basics, and will soon hit the industry with an amazing new machine. You can check out the teaser on our facebook!

appreciate taking few minutes out for commenting, sure interesting stuff. Limitations of the materials used for tec units probably causes none of them to sport colors. Exception may be Dive-X powdercoated red/yellow finish, BUT WHAT'S THE PERFECT COLOR??

how about this example?
Seadoo Seascooter Viper alert!

Black! Powder coat Black...

to the original question too... The one thing that stops me putting my money down for a Bladefish or Seadoo is the way they are used, both hands style... I want a single handle with trigger as is used on the tech models.

It's all about price point for me aswell... I would love an X scooter or similar Tech style unit but am unwilling/unable to spend £3,000 (I'll let you do the currency conversion) The units I can afford (Bladefish/Seadoo etc) are to me pool toys. What I would like is a unit in a similar torpedo style to the tech units, the use of plastics etc would bring the cost right down, with controls the same as the tech units but at a price point of £1,000-£1,200. Heck, I basically want an X scooter or the like for £1,000!!!! I'm sure it's doable with sensible material choice and economies of scale...

Back
Top Bottom