IANTD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a IANTD class in a few days.

My IANTD classes ( tech nitrox, deep air , tri mix, blender ) were very thorough.

I did an IANTD Intro-to-Cave. The course materials were horrible in my opinion. The instructor was excellent (and affiliated with multiple agencies; he just thought IANTD was the best fit for me at the time, since an alternative option was an agency in the middle of revamping their curriculum). I suspect if my instructor had pushed me to get the cert via another of the agencies he taught for, he still would have taught roughly the same course he always did.

My Recreational Nitrox was in 1993 through IANTD. We used Dick Rutkowski's workbook. I wasn't aware of any other agency teaching Nitrox at that time. (Had TDI been born yet at that time?)
I think TDI started in 1994. My Nitrox card from them is from 1995.
I remember going to a PADI shop and asking about nitrox and there was a strong vibe of "We aren't allowed to talk about it but we know you're cool so here's the number of a guy who will probably meet you in a dark alley somewhere." That's how I met my first TDI instructor.

PADI went from Nitrox is evil to Nitrox is awesome really fast. Their attitude changed right around the same time they started teaching it.

PADI went from Nitrox is evil to Nitrox is awesome really fast. Their attitude changed right around the same time they started teaching it.
This made me laugh out loud 🤣

They made the 180 flip as soon as they realized that it is a great cashcow they can suckle and milk.

Few people know it, but the now defunct "Skin Diver" Magazine once published articles calling Nitrox the evil gas, and even the Cayman government used to pay campaigns agains its use

By the way, IANTD is stil going well in Brazil, even not being the big dog

I did an IANTD Intro-to-Cave. The course materials were horrible in my opinion. The instructor was excellent (and affiliated with multiple agencies; he just thought IANTD was the best fit for me at the time, since an alternative option was an agency in the middle of revamping their curriculum). I suspect if my instructor had pushed me to get the cert via another of the agencies he taught for, he still would have taught roughly the same course he always did.
I will second that opinion. The IANTD training materials are some of the worst written and poorly formatted that I have seen from any of the other agencies. Excellent instructors and training though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom