Review Blacktip DPV Woes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately I think at this point it’s a lost cause. I would have to find someone to custom fabricate a plastic part, and get a programmed VSEC chip to replace the dead one.

I’m saving up for a Seacraft or SubGravity, and teaching with the LeFeet S1 Pro for now (which is surprisingly good as a recreational DPV)
Programming the VESC is very easy. I did it myself - after buying a replacement board from Dive Xtras that arrived completely DOA, and their refusal to help, I realized that they use an off-the-shelf Flipsky VESC 4.2, and the firmware to flash on it is available on Github. As long as you have a Windows PC and a micro-USB cable, it's very straightforward to flash the firmware and replace the VESC. I will gladly walk you through it if you decide to go that route.

As others have suggested, I've functionally given up on Dive Xtras 'support', since their resolution for every problem appears to be:

1. Assume that the problem is the fault of the customer
  2. Tell the customer their only resolution is to ship it back to Dive Xtras (at customer's expense) and have them diagnose to confirm the problem (at an hourly labor charge)
  3. Confirm that the problem must be the fault of the customer (with no way to appeal/dispute/disprove)
  4. Charge the customer for the repair/return shipping (at this point you're about at the cost of a new Blacktip)
However, if you're willing/able to fix everything yourself, it uses a lot of off-the-shelf parts, and Dive Xtras will also sell you any custom parts for a reasonable price. There's also a strong community of tinkerers/software documentation/open-source 3D-printed parts. So if you think of it more of a 'kit scooter' and less of a 'ready to dive' product, it makes a lot more sense.

This story stresses me out as mine got a small amount of water in it recently and as far as I can tell, the o-rings for sealing the tube are fine. Unfortunately, the water shorted out the VESC. I sent it back to them 2 weeks ago. They acknowledged they received it, and I haven't heard anything since.

If it is a shaft leak issue, how easy is this to resolve DIY?

I'm confident with soldering, I used to build FPV drones. I'm also a tech guy and not intimidated by flashing.

This story stresses me out as mine got a small amount of water in it recently and as far as I can tell, the o-rings for sealing the tube are fine. Unfortunately, the water shorted out the VESC. I sent it back to them 2 weeks ago. They acknowledged they received it, and I haven't heard anything since.

If it is a shaft leak issue, how easy is this to resolve DIY?

I'm confident with soldering, I used to build FPV drones. I'm also a tech guy and not intimidated by flashing.
If you can build FPV drones you can replace the VESC and flash it.

I'm not sure about the BT shaft seal, the old Cuda/Sierra seals are straightforward to change.

If you can build FPV drones you can replace the VESC and flash it.

I'm not sure about the BT shaft seal, the old Cuda/Sierra seals are straightforward to change.
I haven't actually changed my shaft seal yet (if it ain't broke, etc), but the procedure looked very straightforward when I looked it up. To save $$$, I definitely recommend buying the VESC from Flipsky directly and flashing it yourself. Be warned, some of the other low-voltage components (i.e. the screen) may have also shorted out, so you might need to also replace that. Easy enough to do, but kinda involved to do without just buying the replacement screen from Dive-Xtras.

I'll have to wait and see what they say

Back
Top Bottom