Can someone explain to me what the h*ll this is about??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allen42 once bubbled...

I understand your point perfectly....you've missed mine. Why b**ch about it here? It serves no purpose other than to make one's self feel better. "Hey guys, look at that, that's wrong! ... Am I right? Huh?" Instead, like I said, contact the source of the problem and work towards some change. Like my daddy said, "Quit yer b**chin, and DO something about it."............................To be honest, I haven't read the ad; I'm much more interested in truly understanding why so much energy is spent in this and other forums tearing things down instead of being helpful.

Because this is a forum where people learn. It is my hope that someone will look at this thread and say "Hey, I was going to become a tech instructor, but maybe I'd better look into this more or even a different agency because these people have made some really good points".

Allen42, we can bury our heads in the sand, or we can let others know that something is wrong when we see it. Many on this board have tried the "contact the agency" route and it proves to be a total waste of time.

I will always post what I see as an inequity for the reasons mentioned. I'm sorry if you see that as a waste of time and energy. I don't.

Again, I agree with you completely, and understand your ire.

However...

bwerb once bubbled...

The people who are currently debating on this thread are NOT the people who log on to SB to raise he#, they are the ones who are dedicated and concerned for divers being educated safely and competently.

Have any of these people at the very least copied this thread and contacted:

Bob Coleman
Director of Marketing
PADI Americas
+1 949 858-7234 x 2538
bobc@padi.com

See how easy I've made it? It took me less than one minute to find that. How much time has been spent in this thread not producing any effects? People who subscribe to "one person can't make a difference" are usually afraid rather than hopeless.

Allen42 once bubbled...
Again, I agree with you completely, and understand your ire.

However...

Bob Coleman
Director of Marketing
PADI Americas
+1 949 858-7234 x 2538
bobc@padi.com

See how easy I've made it? It took me less than one minute to find that. How much time has been spent in this thread not producing any effects? People who subscribe to "one person can't make a difference" are usually afraid rather than hopeless.

Well..you haven't made anything any easier. I haven't talked to any marketing people but I have spent hours on the phone with PADI educational consultants. They are happy with things the way they are. Some of us aren't. Sorry.

Allen42 once bubbled...

Bob Coleman
Director of Marketing
PADI Americas
+1 949 858-7234 x 2538
bobc@padi.com

Okay Allen, I've sent your buddy Bob a link to this thread. Would you care to make a wager on whether he makes any reply?

Allen42 once bubbled...

Bull****!! Example?

Professor Sims. C++, Java. Received credit for the classes by taking orals from department head & dropping attendance of class. Apparently, a Masters in Comp Science is good enough to teach any CS class, regardless of familiarity with the language itself.

Huh? Prof. Sims recieved credit after taking oral exam and is now teaching the class? Or someone with a MS in CS is teaching a java class without knowledge of the language? The first I can see, but the second I can't see happening. You're going to need to elaborate some.

I'm trying to put the brakes on destructive conversations.
Don't spend much time in online discussion forms, do you? :wink:

As far as being silly... I think you expect too much from marketing folks. Do you expect to meet the gals in the resort ads when you arrive as well? Do you actually believe certain brand products make you sexier? Do you reply to your spam?

This ad is like suggestioning you will meet ugly people at the resort or that the product will make you unattractive.

If you disagree, take it up with *them* and spend your time here helping each other out.

While you may think this isn't helpful it is a way of saying, "Hey, anyone interested in tech diving should avoid PADI's program."

I also can accept an instructur that says he wants people on a non-silt bottom for a reason.

Performing skills without resting on the bottom isn’t just about silt.

Cornfed

So what, specifically, is this thread about? Low standards? Marketing material that reflects poorly on the company?

Mike, I respect the heck out of someone who actually does try to get tsomething changed. And, that's MY purpose in this thread. I can commiserate with you a bit on that, as I've work with tech companies quite a bit trying to raise their certification standards.

What I don't do is go online and say, "hey, have ya'll see such-n-such's ad for their such-n-such course? What a joke!" Instead, I might say, "For people considering training in such-n-such, here's an [another] example of what I think is wrong with the such-n-such course. I recommend the such-n-such course instead because...."

You won't be able to convince me that this thread was started as a public service.... it was started to slam seemingly everyone's favorite "k*ckin b**ch" for another perceived inadequacy, another popular sport on this board.

Or someone with a MS in CS is teaching a java class without knowledge of the language?
It's a fact, and I won't because the university corrected the issue and is otherwise an excellent institution.

Don't spend much time in online discussion forms, do you? :wink:
Was kinda hoping this one could be different... there's a lot of promise here. But you're right... rec.scuba is downright hostile waters.

This ad is like suggestioning you will meet ugly people at the resort or that the product will make you unattractive.
Excellent point! If I were responsible for that web page, I'd cringe to hear someone say that...

While you may think this isn't helpful it is a way of saying, "Hey, anyone interested in tech diving should avoid PADI's program."
I'll admit, that hadn't occured to me until a coupe of posts ago, mostly because the intial post was so inflammatory.

Performing skills without resting on the bottom isn’t just about silt.
Didn't say it was.

Allen42 once bubbled...
it was started to slam seemingly everyone's favorite "k*ckin b**ch" for another perceived inadequacy, another popular sport on this board.

Well, maybe a little of that too.

WJL once bubbled...

Okay Allen, I've sent your buddy Bob a link to this thread. Would like you care to make a wager on whether he makes any reply?
Don't know Bob from Adam, and have never communicated with him. Not distancing myself, just making sure that all is honest.

Allen42 once bubbled...
So what, specifically, is this thread about? Low standards? Marketing material that reflects poorly on the company?

Mike, I respect the heck out of someone who actually does try to get tsomething changed. And, that's MY purpose in this thread. I can commiserate with you a bit on that, as I've work with tech companies quite a bit trying to raise their certification standards.

What I don't do is go online and say, "hey, have ya'll see such-n-such's ad for their such-n-such course? What a joke!" Instead, I might say, "For people considering training in such-n-such, here's an [another] example of what I think is wrong with the such-n-such course. I recommend the such-n-such course instead because...."

You won't be able to convince me that this thread was started as a public service.... it was started to slam seemingly everyone's favorite "k*ckin b**ch" for another perceived inadequacy, another popular sport on this board.

So, you will let us complain if we use circumlocutions and indirect criticisms, but we can't complain if we're too direct or confrontational?

You object to the style, but the substance is okay?

What point are you trying to make?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom