What is SSI's "Decompression Diver" course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was really nervous, very apprehensive, scared even. It was a HUGE step up from NDL diving as it's doing the thing which you've worked against for all of your previous diving career.

Really good point you made.
Probably a little apprehensive, but generally was keen as mustard. Being trained as part of a club where decompression stop diving was not unusual Helped with this.

The first decompression stop dive was in a 35m deep flooded quarry (any guesses from UK people would be correct). 35m with 5min @10m and 5min @5m. This was with a single 15l cylinder, horse collar BC and an Air2. Didn’t take many deco dives after this to go for independent twins and stop using the Air2.

Interesting reading through the SSI standards. The use of a 5.7l stage with max 40% nitrox. 15 mins max deco. Max depth 40m. Prerequisites, deep diver and nitrox 40.

There was nothing unusual about it as throughout training we were planning on being divers doing mandatory deco stops. It was just normal BSAC progression to 3rd Class/Sports Diver.

I find very instructive that depending on their training and nature people have different fears. I’m here in your team, deco was just a natural progression, not a big scary thing.

There was nothing unusual about it as throughout training we were planning on being divers doing mandatory deco stops. It was just normal BSAC progression to 3rd Class/Sports Diver.

Yup I had done PADI OW and not many dives when I started by BSAC deco training and dives. I thought nothing of deco being scary it just meant more time in the water with extra tanks. In 86 we had the J valve, tables, no spg, no dive computers. I remember one of my early bsac dives being anxious in a current as I was not as good at managing myself as other divers. My finning technique not as good and sort of not knowing when to rest.

Actually here with CAMS we were taught that every dive is a deco dive.
My very first dive was just to 12m, but still I had a twin tank and full double regs, and I was equipped and trained for deco stops, in case of necessity.
When I first made my first mandatory deco stop it was not any concern, it was around dive #10 and I was certified just CMAS **.
We were taught that the most dangerous dives are those planned WITHIN NDL, conducted without proper equipment and training for deco, and then something happens, forcing a mandatory deco stop for which you are not prepared.
And we were taught to always plan any dive, even at 12m, as mandatory deco dive, having suitable gas reserve, redundant equipment, a way of stabilising during deco stops, proper tables or computer for dealing with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom