What is SSI's "Decompression Diver" course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have not really followed this thread, however, here is a recent screen grab from an SSI deco course in action that came through my socials. So it seems full single tank rec rig complete with yellow occy hose bunched up in a D ring is acceptable for an SSI deco course.

DecoCourse.jpg

Have not really followed this thread, however, here is a recent screen grab from an SSI deco course in action that came through my socials. So it seems full single tank rec rig complete with yellow occy hose bunched up in a D ring is acceptable for an SSI deco course.

View attachment 811675
Yes only for this "intro" course. Then it is either Sidemount or doubles configuration. Same with Padi : Tec 40 only is doable with a single backmount tank + deco. Tec45 and Tec50 must be completed either SM or doubles

Yes this is what we call "gas matching" and sure a good way of planning deco dives, the only one valid for challenging dives
Thanks.

Trained that way in 1986 by my BSAC instructor. Back then it was easier as all dives were on nitrox 21% lol
Long deco stops on an boat anchor line were boring though.

Regardless does not do much to instil a technical mindset of redundancy, basic gear configuration etc. But hey that's throw on a single tank a sling tank of Nx and do some deco. It really is a race to the bottom.
Let me play Devil's Advocate...
If you're a reasonably talented OC Rec diver of modest experience, "going tech" can seem like a HUGE step. "Deco" sounds like a quantum leap in risk. You and I know that light deco is just a small step up the spectrum, but this guy does not.
Give him a way to take his usual rig, add a deco tank, and safely ascend from a dive past NDL "0", and you may have just helped a diver over the fear threshold. We tend to forget what that very first ascent from a deco dive was like.
NOW he can learn all the things we say are mandatory for "real" tech diving.

In today's spoon-fed training environment, I think this is a reasonable baby step. Useless for signing up for a tech dive, but useful in building confidence. As a "certification", well, I agree with you completely. But for card collectors, this is one way to start tech if you're not sure.

If you're a reasonably talented OC Rec diver of modest experience, "going tech" can seem like a HUGE step. "Deco" sounds like a quantum leap in risk. You and I know that light deco is just a small step up the spectrum, but this guy does not.
Give him a way to take his usual rig, add a deco tank, and safely ascend from a dive past NDL "0", and you may have just helped a diver over the fear threshold. We tend to forget what that very first ascent from a deco dive was like.
NOW he can learn all the things we say are mandatory for "real" tech diving.

In today's spoon-fed training environment, I think this is a reasonable baby step. Useless for signing up for a tech dive, but useful in building confidence. As a "certification", well, I agree with you completely. But for card collectors, this is one way to start tech if you're not sure.
Excellent points, but I'm sitting here thinking about handing someone a technical cert when they've never completed a class with anything other than a single back-mounted tank. I can taste the bile in my mouth, so I won't do that...

I am going to sit here and think about doing some kind of Discover Tech class now though, because you're right, it is a big jump and maybe there's a way to fill that gap without certifying someone.

So, I admit, I have never taken any class beyond rescue or solo. I dived solo for about 10 years before I took solo in 2013. I have nearly 700 entirely solo dives. I've done a few over 100 light backgas deco dives, not many compared to my 2300 dives. My deco has nearly almost always been less than 10 min and my pony contains back gas. I have not considered my dives excessively risky. I find the SSI decompression diver curriculum to be very interesting, I would not take it, perhaps good for others.

We tend to forget what that very first ascent from a deco dive was like.
Oh, no, I am still scared s***less when I remember my first deco dive. It was not planned as a deco dive, but deco is better than getting run over by a cruiser ship.

We tend to forget what that very first ascent from a deco dive was like.
Was really nervous, very apprehensive, scared even. It was a HUGE step up from NDL diving as it's doing the thing which you've worked against for all of your previous diving career.

Really good point you made.

edit:
Think the first time nerves were irrational fears of having a buoyancy fart and rocketing to the surface to be helicoptered off to the 'pot' with a severe bend. Definitely irrational! I suppose there's many things we do in life for the first time where we've similar irrational fears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom