Atomic B2 Vs Sherwood Sr2

Voice your opinion!!!!

• Atomic B2

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Sherwood SR2

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going with Atomic, get a Z2 model unless you have a particular need for the other lines (like the higher O2 compatibility). They all breathe the same.

The OP has or had an opportunity to buy either a "used" Sherwood S2 or a "used" Atomic B2 for about the same price. Those are their choices...

That, and the Sherwood would save roughly $30 & include an octo., plus the the LDS's don't service Atomics so the reg. would have to be sent in for servicing (I'm guessing the Sherwood can be serviced locally?).

The Atomic would offer a longer recommended service interval (2 years or 300 dives), compared to regulators with a 1 year recommended interval. What is the Sherwood SR2 recommended service interval?

Richard.

P.S.: I know not everyone does servicing as often as recommended.

Diving is the only sport I know where people regularly comment that the cheapest that will work is the best option for life support gear.

Diving is the only sport I know where people regularly comment that the cheapest that will work is the best option for life support gear.

Or, diving is the only sport I know where people regularly comment that the most expensive that will work is the best option for life support gear.

Of course anyone that uses the "it's life support so you have to spend more argument" to sell gear should be avoided, as they have no actual reason their reg will work for your diving, better than a less expensive reg. As a matter of fact I've not seen any literature to say that any low end reg is dangerous to dive. I would think if "cheap" regs were killing people on a regular basis we would hear about it and they would be off the market amid a flurry of lawsuits.

Bob

The OP has or had an opportunity to buy either a "used" Sherwood S2 or a "used" Atomic B2 for about the same price. Those are their choices...

He can buy a brand new Z2 for less than the used B2 he mentioned.

It's too bad that a moderator on this board, who has presumably has enough dive experience and understanding to reasonably evaluate posts, is so misinformed about dive safety to actually believe that divers' lives depend on their regulator. And on top of that, is so misinformed about regulator function to actually believe that spending more money makes for more reliable regulators.

Still waiting to encounter an Atomic reg which might be able to impress me.
But okay, I haven't dived them and only about 12-15 repaired or serviced.
The components are really good, but the overall performance on my testing machines have been sort of disappointing.
The qualities of the first stage concerning IP stability and the dynamic IP drop under flow have been worse than the ones of the MK25, not much, but I expected clear better results with the reputation of Atomic in the diver world.
Also the 2nd stages didn't show especially good values.
Still no doubt good regulators, but concerning the naked properties, you don't have to spend that money to get similar quality.
For me it looks as if an Atomic buyer is spending quite a lot of money for excellent components, but not really for a better regulator to dive.
Won't discuss Sherwood SR1 or SR2, after my experiences with them I would have problems to write in a civilized manner about them, I would rather discuss the SRB9110, which I also don't like too much, but which has proven to work under harsh condition at least for a while.

Otherwise I'm just with Halo concerning this issue.:)

Moderators are also members here. I was stating my opinion, it has no relevance to my standing on the board.

Last edited:
And it's too bad that a certain individual on this board has such a chip on their shoulder against moderators that they feel the need to attack a members opinion.

Moderators are also members here. I was stating my opinion, it has no relevance to my standing on the board.

Nothing I said indicates that I have a chip on my shoulder against moderators on this board, of which there are several. It was your specific comment that I have a problem with, because it so clearly illustrates the misleading sentiment in the dive gear industry that: A) regulators are "life support" and B) expensive regulators are better because they're "life support". The entire notion is nothing more than a tired sales tactic used by dive shop employees (including some instructors!) specifically to up-sell to new divers.

Scubaboard is supposed to be an oasis from the dive shop sales tactics, where members can seek information and opinions that are not motivated by money. This is IMO a very important aspect of the board, because the dive gear industry is so loaded with sales-motivated BS, and instruction is unfortunately right in there with gear sales.

So, when I read a statement that simply repeats the "life support....more expensive is better" nonsense, I refute it. If it's a new diver, I try to do so nicely. When it's someone with your level of experience and standing on the board, I'm more direct.

But, maybe I was a little quick in my judgement. So, I invite you to explain why you feel regulators are life support and why you think that relates to spending more money on one being a better option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom