Atomic B2 Vs Sherwood Sr2

Voice your opinion!!!!

• Atomic B2

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Sherwood SR2

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Weight saving of Ti is more of a marketing thing than practical. A B2 2nd stage is 5.9oz. A M1 with heavy heat sink is 7.6oz. a whopping 1.7oz including the heat sink. The air tube itself account for about 0.5oz only. Is that worth $100??? Not to me.

The best bang to buck in atomic line is no doubt the z2. To me, 2nd stage swivel is also waste of money. I have swapped swivel on all my atomics. So it is a personal preference

I probably would not get either of them. I would especially avoid the Sherwood SR2, if it's anything like the SR1. That reg is nothing at all like the old bulletproof sherwoods that made the brand's reputation. Its an over-engineered poster boy for what has gone wrong IMO with regulator design in the last several years.

The atomic regs are based on the scubapro balanced piston 1st/barrel poppet 2nd stage design with some refinements, but IMO they're not really any better. I would be happy owning atomic regs but I can't see paying $500 for a set, especially used. There are loads of MK20/G250 sets out there for half that price that are every bit as good for actual diving, and very easy to get serviced.

I will admit that I have a preference for older, classic reg designs that are simple, robust, and have been proven on literally millions of dives. I'm pretty sure regulator companies keep coming up with new models and "features" so that they have stuff to sell repeat customers, when truthfully the older models are fine for a lifetime of service. Unfortunately with the limited market of scuba diving, selling a diver one regulator for his entire dive life is not much of a profitable business model.

There are other perennial best buys out there, like the aqualung titan, older sherwoods, and earlier model scubapros. You could find a MK2/R190 for less than $100, get it serviced once, and use it for several seasons worry-free.

Until Atomic, there was no best in regulators. Go with the Atomic regs.

This is exactly the kind of mindless hype that surrounds regulator sales and makes inexperienced divers spend WAY more than is necessary.

No one makes anyone spend any particular amount for a regulator. You can certainly spend a lot less than what an Atomic reg costs and no doubt the cheaper reg would do a fine job. But some folks just want the best when they buy so they go with Atomic.

Atomic........when only the best will do.

But some folks just want the best when they buy so they go with Atomic.

What they really want is to feel like they are the best, and try to validate this feeling through purchases of high prestige brands.

even I like and use atomic myself, I think it is over the top marketing.

Best's definition depends on usage and personal preference, and the above is all personal preference talking. I can easily name a few aspect of atomic that is not the best. The big parts for me to choose atomic have to do with an excellent local atomic tech and I had been lucky enough to buy a few used at low cost. I will not pay retail for any atomic except Z2.

I think Halocline gave a very objective view on regulator

Last edited:
What they really want is to feel like they are the best, and try to validate this feeling through purchases of high prestige brands.

It works. Before I had my T3 I would walk on a dive boat and no one really noticed me. Now when they see my T3 they say things like, "Wow. A T3. You must be an instructor", or they say, "You probably have 1000's of dives. Will you look over my rig and tell me how to make it better".

Diving a T3 has changed my life and people look at me like I'm some sort of diving God now.

Just think how your life would change if you added an i3 BCD and a BFK tied to your leg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom