Atomic TFX Manufacturing Challenges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know anything about the Atomic TFX manufacturing process? It’s time for a new reg and so after much research I decided on the TFX. I love my existing Atomic regs (T2x is the best reg I’ve ever had, T3 a half step behind that and I have a number of others including the M1, B2, Z2) and so I thought I’d stick with the brand I know and love. Threads here on SB helped me take the plunge and go for the latest and greatest in the TFX, which I was really excited to use. So, I ordered one back in January.

After a couple weeks and no shipping notification I contacted the retailer and they looked into it and said that Atomic were out of them and were manufacturing more, with an arrival date of early April. Okay, hot commodity apparently. So I waited. April came and I was dying to get wet so I asked again. The answer was end of April. Okay. April came and went so I checked again, now they’re saying mid June and that they’re still working on manufacturing this batch.

I know that this is supposed to be a great reg due to its revolutionary new design, but now I’m questioning whether I should be worried about what is so challenging in the manufacturing of this reg and whether parts for possible warranty needs and/or service kits will also be a challenge to obtain down the road. I am still excited to get my TFX and try it out but now with a bit of trepidation. I dive with a bailout bottle anyway but I’ll be triple checking the BO on those first few dives.

Any of you TFX owners or dealers out there have any insights one way or the other?

Why not call Atomic?

Several retailers show current stock with a quick Google search. Force-e is is generally legit, I have dealt with them on occasion:

My guess is, based on your asking for speculation, your retailer is not telling you the full story as to the reason they have no stock.

The TFX is a niche market regulator, expensive and produced in low quantities because only a few people are going to pay nearly $3,000 for a scuba regulator. Why produce a bunch of something that is not going to sell in equal bunches. Once the few dozen people who would pay that kind of money for a regulator are satisfied it could be some time before demand justifies another batch.

Thanks, good point on calling Atomic. At the same time I think if they do have manufacturing challenges, they’re unlikely to tell some Joe blow off the street like me.

As far as the retailer, they’re a well established and reputable outfit I’ve dealt with for many years. I don’t believe they’re misleading me intentionally whatsoever. However their info is only as good as whatever their rep is telling them. I hoped that perhaps someone here on SB had more info on what might be happening.

Speculation on my part, but ...
Interesting. TFX on sale for $2,252.46 (from $2,649.95 - 15% off Huish stuff in general), but on BO. Makes me wonder if there is a bigger batch coming out of production soon, otherwise why put it on sale if demand exceeds anticipated supply?

Just received this
IMG_6222.jpeg

$450 more than it was advertised for not to long ago, NF’n way without a 50% discount.

If I had to guess, I would suspect bottlenecks in production of a) CNC-milled titanium parts in California, in low quantities as mentioned above. And b) supply of injection-molded parts from overseas, perhaps even due to waiting for an unscheduled second generation batch of a re-designed part. None of these would worry me about the future, but it's wise to consider these questions.

Just received this
View attachment 842512
$450 more than it was advertised for not to long ago, NF’n way without a 50% discount.
Ouch! That is indeed a steep increase for the second stage alone.
If I had to guess, I would suspect bottlenecks in production of a) CNC-milled titanium parts in California, in low quantities as mentioned above. And b) supply of injection-molded parts from overseas, perhaps even due to waiting for an unscheduled second generation batch of a re-designed part. None of these would worry me about the future, but it's wise to consider these questions.
What you describe was my suspicion. I guess we’ll have to wait for someone from Atomic to chime in if we’re ever to know. It sure would be reassuring.

In addition, there are reports of traffic through the Suez Canal and the Panama Canal currenty being reduced for various reasons. And the Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore harbor was destroyed recently. Does anyone know if all this is causing supply-chain delays for the type of goodies we are interested in?

Back
Top Bottom