Atomic's TFX is amazing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garywong007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The new Atomic TFX has been out or a while but because of its hefty price-tag, I do not want to commit myself until I try it out. 2 weeks ago I finally had the chance to lay my hands on a demo set from a dealer here. I took it for 12 dives, testing it out on the various benefits and advantages Atomic claims the TFX can deliver. I put an Atomic T3 as the octopus so that I could compare them back to back (since the 1st-stage on the TFX is virtually the same 1st-stage as the T3). I lay flat with face-up on the bottom at 16 meters and breathe for 2 mins; I inverted myself and breath for 2 mins, I maintained a vertical head-up position, looking up to the surface and breathe for a minute. I switched from the TFX to the T3 then back to the TFX and the results were simply amazing. This reminded me of the Scubapro D400 I had years ago - the breathing is so light and it feels so natural - even compares with the T3! The effort to inhale/exhale did not increase noticeably even when I tilt my head and looked upward. It did not leak no matter what position I was in...... Now, the only question remains is: whether it will be as finicky as the D400 and turns out to be nightmare for service/ adjustment..... Maybe I should wait a bit longer before I made the decision to switch over...

Does anyone have any more in-depth information on this?

Thanks!

Wonderful article!! I was aware of all the features you mentioned about the TFX in the article BUT having your elaboration makes me appreciate more the ingenuity behind all these designs. Thank you. The only concern I have though is the ease of service and adjustment - the D400 was a nightmare in that regard.

I just got my hands on a TFX and I'm perplexed about the venturi adjustment knob on the 2nd stage. On mine it does not appear to do a full quarter turn open to close. Wide Open shows 5 squares (as expected) but when moving it as far "down" as possible, 2 white squares remain. Based on previous Atomic regs I've used the adjustment usually had a heck of a lot more play.

Can anyone confirm the travel distance between fully open and closed. Is the closed position 2 white squares?

I just got my hands on a TFX and I'm perplexed about the venturi adjustment knob on the 2nd stage. On mine it does not appear to do a full quarter turn open to close. Wide Open shows 5 squares (as expected) but when moving it as far "down" as possible, 2 white squares remain. Based on previous Atomic regs I've used the adjustment usually had a heck of a lot more play.

Can anyone confirm the travel distance between fully open and closed. Is the closed position 2 white squares?
My TFX only closes to 2 squares as you mentioned. So, it's the same as yours...

Back
Top Bottom