Question Experiences with Apeks XL4 Ocea vs Atomic Z3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YES, good points! Ok, time for my pet peeve now: Don't you find that G260 and G250V purge button decals scratch way to easily?

I thought all regs are throwaways compared to AL Conshelfs, SP BAs and Mares Abyss? :)

Yes, I am thinking of a solution. One that comes to mind is clear Plasti-Dip spray, or shoot them with 2K clear or just replace them with new decals when and if ugly. They are just fancy stick on decals.

On my last dive trip, just a week or so ago I guess, not even unpacked and about to go again :), there was a gentleman with old Conshelfs. They were beat to Hades, peeling chrome and growing green stuff (yuk) and still going strong. Some divers should take better care of their equipment :wink:.

@amado_sarhan Since I'm not going to buy to regulator sets, would you still consider the XL4 a good model to go diving in cold water?
I am mostly a warm water diver going around Egypt, Spain, Indonesia, and Philippines. I am always a little extra careful when it comes to cold water diving having had a bad experience before. That said, my XL4 worked well in cold water on a trip to the UK with the average temperature being around 7 degrees. It was a pleasant breathing experience, even with the venturi at a minimum, air was delivered well. It breathed no differently at 30 metres as it did at 3 metres. But, just to reiterate, although I own XL4 and XTX200 regs (I really trust Apeks), I also tried quite a number of other regs with time, incuding Atomic Z3, and they were also great. I don't like brand bashing. The deal breaker for me was how light weight XL4s are (I became prone to jaw fatigue over time and travel a lot) and that it's sustainably made.

Hi everybody,

I would like to finally buy my own equipment after years of diving - yeah!
Computer and ABC equipment I already have, so now regulator and jacket are pending. I like diving in local lakes, so having a cold water regulator is important to me, but it should also be good for traveling.

I have so far narrowed down my research to the following two sets. I wanted to ask who of you uses (one of) the models, what are your experiences? Following are the pros and cons I see:

Apeks XL4 (Ocea).
+ Apeks has a great reputation
+ the reg is compact and light for travel
+ I like the design very much
+ I found it for a good price (550 Euro for 1st & 2nd stage incl. octopus).
- Annual maintenance compared to other models (2 years for Scubapro models and Atomic)
- I read somewhere that the small size of the 2nd stage could imply a lower breathing comfort and might be disadvantageous for future dry suit diving (?)

There are two versions of the XL4, the original and the new version with sustainable materials which is sold under the name XL4 Ocea, which I am interested in. However, I have heard that with the original XL4 the 2nd stage housing is not very stable. Maybe this is different with the Ocea (?)

Atomic Z3 and Z2

+ 2 years maintenance interval, thereby cost-friendly, although the actual maintenance seems to turn out to be more expensive than other regulators, about 200 euros. Nevertheless, the total cost of Atomic Z3 would therefore likely break even with XL4 after 3 years
- I have heard from a store that the regulator in greater depths in cold water relatively easily free flows, what do you think of this statement?
- high purchase price (700 Euro for 1st & 2nd stage, incl. octopus).

I'm gladly open to further suggestions from you. I was recommended the Scubapro MK19/G260, but frankly I don't like the design at all.

Thanks in advance to the round!
Manu
Hi everybody,

I would like to finally buy my own equipment after years of diving - yeah!
Computer and ABC equipment I already have, so now regulator and jacket are pending. I like diving in local lakes, so having a cold water regulator is important to me, but it should also be good for traveling.

I have so far narrowed down my research to the following two sets. I wanted to ask who of you uses (one of) the models, what are your experiences? Following are the pros and cons I see:

Apeks XL4 (Ocea).
+ Apeks has a great reputation
+ the reg is compact and light for travel
+ I like the design very much
+ I found it for a good price (550 Euro for 1st & 2nd stage incl. octopus).
- Annual maintenance compared to other models (2 years for Scubapro models and Atomic)
- I read somewhere that the small size of the 2nd stage could imply a lower breathing comfort and might be disadvantageous for future dry suit diving (?)

There are two versions of the XL4, the original and the new version with sustainable materials which is sold under the name XL4 Ocea, which I am interested in. However, I have heard that with the original XL4 the 2nd stage housing is not very stable. Maybe this is different with the Ocea (?)

Atomic Z3 and Z2

+ 2 years maintenance interval, thereby cost-friendly, although the actual maintenance seems to turn out to be more expensive than other regulators, about 200 euros. Nevertheless, the total cost of Atomic Z3 would therefore likely break even with XL4 after 3 years
- I have heard from a store that the regulator in greater depths in cold water relatively easily free flows, what do you think of this statement?
- high purchase price (700 Euro for 1st & 2nd stage, incl. octopus).

I'm gladly open to further suggestions from you. I was recommended the Scubapro MK19/G260, but frankly I don't like the design at all.

Thanks in advance to the round!
Manu
I like ScubaPro. Long history, deep reliability , count on them to do as safely needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom