Aqualung Helix Pro vs. Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This weekend I was lucky enough to win an Aqualung Helix Pro. I never win anything so this was a pretty cool thing to happen. But here is the thing. I already have an Atomic B2 with Z1 alternate. Although it is pretty old, I got it second hand in about 2010, I think. It is the nicest piece of gear that I own, everything else is older than that. Namely, my dive computer. Right now I have a Suunto Cobra 1 with AI and a Aeris Atmos 2 wrist mount. I like the ability to download my dives from my cobra but I really like having information on my wrist (even though it is basically just depth from the Atoms).

I really only need one Reg set, so I want to get rid of one and my suunto cobra and use that to upgrade to a Perdix AI. I don't know anything about the Aqualung Helix Pro. But I really have no complaints about my atomics. I've got about 50 dives on them and they have been great.

What do you all think? I'm assuming that the brand new in the box helix pro set will be worth more than my atomics being that they're older, but are they a lot nicer regs?

The Titan LX became the Core Supreme which has now morphed into the Helix Pro are an environmental sealed diaphragm first stage, now with ACD (auto closure device) and a pneumatically balanced second stage. While the Helix second has a controllable Venturi vane they do not have a breathing resistence adjustment knob as does the Atomic second stages. An argument could be made that the new Helix Pro sealed diaphragm first stage with ACD is superior to the Atomic non-sealed or grease/boot sealed piston first stager. But as good as the Helix Pro second stage is, and it is a very capable second stage, it is perhaps a notch below the Atomic second stages.

Maybe time to service the Atomics and keep the Helix Pro for back up duty or I guess if push came to shove I suppose I would keep the Atomics and sell of the Helix Pro but it would be a hard thing to do.

Sell the Helix. Use the funds to pay for many years of annual service on your Atomic. Everyone wins. Happy ending.

Congrats on winning a reg. I am biased but I would sell the Aqualung and the other computers get a Perdix AI and not look back. Now one suggestion, not sure how you won the reg but if through a dive shop sponsored event and if they are Shearwater dealer I might approach them about a trade credit towards a Perdix AI.

Congrats on wining a reg. I am biased but I would sell the Aqualung and the other computers get a Perdix AI and not look back. Now one suggestion, not sure how you won the reg but if through a dive shop sponsored event and if they are Shearwater dealer I might approach them about a trade credit towards a Perdix AI.
Great idea, but you keep misspelling "Teric" 😀

If you are are not one of the poor, keep it as a spare regulator set.
I suspect most divers here have more than one set of regulators, and the Helix pro is a good little environmental sealed diaphragm first stage 'egg' travel regulator.
Who else thinks it looks like an egg? Cute little thing it is.

It sounds like it is the overwhelming consensus to keep the atomic and sell the Helix. That was what I was leaning towards as well. Thanks for the push everyone. If anyone is looking for a new Helix... :D

Now one suggestion, not sure how you won the reg but if through a dive shop sponsored event and if they are Shearwater dealer I might approach them about a trade credit towards a Perdix AI.
It was a sponsored event. Aqualung provided the unit to the shop as I understand it. So i'm not sure if the shop would be willing/able to swap it. That said, a new Perdix AI is probably too much for me. I'd be on here looking for a used one.

If you are are not one of the poor, keep it as a spare regulator set.
I suspect most divers here have more than one set of regulators, and the Helix pro is a good little environmental sealed diaphragm first stage 'egg' travel regulator.
Who else thinks it looks like an egg? Cute little thing it is.

I too think it is a cute little bitty thing. And then consider it is fully envrio sealed and has ACD the Helix Pro (Core Supreme) first stage is really quite amazing. The machine work on ours at least is very clean and nicely done. And it is awfully cute. My wife is switching to a new Core Supreme, the immediate predecessor to the Helix Pro and has the exact same first stage.

I always take a goofey selfie of my wife and I as the last photo of a trip. Here we are in Cozumel (again) just a few days ago and you can see her on the Core Supreme and me on a 30 yo+ Scubapro G250 with a lowly Mark 2 Evo, also a very compact and rather cute bitty thing:

Th previous generations Titan LX and Core Supreme were rated Superior on the ANSTI machine, the Helix Pro might just perform better than the Atomic, just saying.

The Aqualung is surely a nice reg, and if you want a cheaper to service reg, and/or like the diaphragm environmental seal that's a good option. Small and light too. Buddhasummer almost convinced me to get one and pair it with a G250...

But I doubt it can breathe better than the Atomic, as I find some refinement in the Atomics that I can't explain. And the Atomic has a seat saving floating orifice and will keep in tune longer. If you dive in conditions where you can leave the B2 unsealed, then the B2 is the easy choice for me personally. Even sealed it is a special reg in my book.

Back
Top Bottom