Atomic B2 v. Ti2, and AladdinPro Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know that computer but the transmitter is of one of the more universal transmitters. For instance, it can also be used by Shearwater computers. Also, if the transmitter goes belly up the mfg will replace it with refurbished transmitter for ~$120 or so.

Even from a scuba store I would want pictures to be able to judge the condition myself. Note that most computers have face guard that can be replaced. So if there are lots on the face guard I would not worry about that. Look at the body. That said the price is reasonable.

I have aeries T3. Bought used more than 10 years ago. So yeah it is old, All in all, it works, nothing fancy. I don't use transmitter. The computer itself, I do wish the screen is better mainly due to the old date screen tech. I also have bungee boot mount.

One more q if you all don't mind - I found an offer online for a used (read: beat up, but functional), Aeris Elite T3, with a Transmitter for $200.

200 was kind of my top, and I had wanted to get a computer that was AI compatible, and figured I'd buy the transmitter once I saved up more money, but this has both. However I did some research and it seems like the Aeris Elite T3 is really old (like 15+ years). Should I keep looking, or do we think it's worth taking the plunge? No pictures, but its from a scuba store website, so I assume it should be good?

Thanks all!

I personally wouldn't bother with the computer but the transmitter is a maybe but it's a gamble. Unless I look at it in person and test it, I wouldn't bother.

My wife dives the Aeris Elite and has declined to upgrade because "it works fine" - the battery is pretty easy to change (if it includes the tool) and as others have mentioned the transmitter is the standard Pelagic one that works with most computers (I use the same one with my Perdix.) It's not the new SWIFT transmitter but works fine.

That said, the screen on the Elite is pretty bad. $200 for a transmitter and a backup computer is a good price, but I'd rather dive something else.

My wife dives the Aeris Elite and has declined to upgrade because "it works fine" - the battery is pretty easy to change (if it includes the tool) and as others have mentioned the transmitter is the standard Pelagic one that works with most computers (I use the same one with my Perdix.) It's not the new SWIFT transmitter but works fine.

That said, the screen on the Elite is pretty bad. $200 for a transmitter and a backup computer is a good price, but I'd rather dive something else.

It's not a Swift, but I prefer not a Swift. My shop is a Shearwater dealer and I just bought 3 new Oceanic transmitters, because I'd rather have the non-Swift.

$200 for a transmitter is a good deal, if it works. If it comes with a working computer, bonus!

I would just make sure I could get my money back if I received it and it didn't work.

If it's from a shop, I would also ask about having them put new batteries in everything before delivering/shipping it. If they change the batteries, then, if you receive the computer and transmitter and they work but one or both floods the first time you get in the water, then that should be on the shop you bought them from to replace (as a battery change from a shop generally means the shop warrants the work, including making sure it's sealed back up properly).

It's not a Swift, but I prefer not a Swift. My shop is a Shearwater dealer and I just bought 3 new Oceanic transmitters, because I'd rather have the non-Swift.

$200 for a transmitter is a good deal, if it works. If it comes with a working computer, bonus!

I would just make sure I could get my money back if I received it and it didn't work.

If it's from a shop, I would also ask about having them put new batteries in everything before delivering/shipping it. If they change the batteries, then, if you receive the computer and transmitter and they work but one or both floods the first time you get in the water, then that should be on the shop you bought them from to replace (as a battery change from a shop generally means the shop warrants the work, including making sure it's sealed back up properly).
So...it's final sale, no returns :(

I asked them to send pictures and am waiting to hear back - will keep this group updated!

Because needing a 1/16" (or whatever size it is) hex wrench to remove a few very tiny screws in order to change a battery was an extremely poor design decision on Shearwater's part.

I have needed to do a last-second battery change on a transmitter before. Being able to do it with nothing but a coin or something vaguely resembling one, and only having one decent-sized part to hold onto and not lose while changing the battery is MUCH better - in my opinion.

The Swift feature of ensuring that multiple transmitters don't step on each other is nice. But, I have been using the non-Swift PPS transmitters for almost 9 years. In that time, I have dived with 2 transmitters in a sidemount configuration and with 2 on my rEvo CCR quite a bit. I have never had a problem with my transmitters stepping on each other and making it where I couldn't get a pressure reading while I was diving.

In other words, the practicality of battery changes is much more important to me than how well it works to have multiple transmitters in use at the same time.

That's a good reason. I hadn't looked closely at the Swift transmitter. Our Oceanic / Pelagic transmitters have worked (with battery changes) mostly trouble free for 15 years (every once in a while the computer loses connection but waving your hand near the reg seems to fix that) so I doubt we'd ever upgrade. I do love being able to do the battery change with a standard o-ring and a coin.

Back
Top Bottom