Atomic B2 v. Ti2, and AladdinPro Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks! This is all super helpful (and quite reassuring). I'll definitely do that, and fingers crossed I get someone honest/someone who has mercy on my soul wallet, and will only ask to pay for what actually needs to get done.

Thanks so much for the rec! BHB appears to be about an 1 hr 15 min from me (I'm in Hollywood), but if that's where I need to be to find other divers, I'm willing to do it!

Finally, thanks to everyone on here for their wisdom and advice - the world would be a better place if everyone was as kind and generous as the peeps on this forum are. Just in case you're curious, I'll report back on how much I had to spend for everything (as well as any other info they give me).

Check with @rsingler concerning having a brass din connector on a Ti first stage to confirm that there won't be any issues with two different metals connected that way. Probably it isn't an issue but it is worth making sure first.

B2 color kit in Demo Condition at Scuba.com, previous Leisurepro, $25. They have other model (ST1, Z2) and color too.

B2 color kit in Demo Condition at Scuba.com, previous Leisurepro, $25. They have other model (ST1, Z2) and color too.
Thanks for this! Do you think this is something I could swap out by myself with some YouTube education? My regs are currently getting serviced now.

Speaking of which, just for those following along at home, @Scared Silly predictions were insanely accurate - I haven't gotten the 'official' invoice yet, but after looking at my set-up, the guy said it would cost around $250 to service the stages and replace the hoses. I'm quite impressed, but....also kinda sad haha.

Thanks for this! Do you think this is something I could swap out by myself with some YouTube education? My regs are currently getting serviced now.

Speaking of which, just for those following along at home, @Scared Silly predictions were insanely accurate - I haven't gotten the 'official' invoice yet, but after looking at my set-up, the guy said it would cost around $250 to service the stages and replace the hoses. I'm quite impressed, but....also kinda sad haha.
Speaking of, I know the folks on here said I need a dive computer asap, but I'm also kind of all tapped out for the short term at least.

I know there's alot of Suunto hate on here, and personally I'd prefer a wrist mount so I'll notice alerts more easily, but this looks like a good deal - Seller offered it to me for $80 plus shipping - should I do it? Would this be a decent option for the next year or so until I may the plunge on a more legit computer? Note the computer died (but I'm hoping that just means I beed to replace the battery), and it comes with an SPG and compass (which I hope work)...

Speaking of, I know the folks on here said I need a dive computer asap, but I'm also kind of all tapped out for the short term at least.

I know there's alot of Suunto hate on here, and personally I'd prefer a wrist mount so I'll notice alerts more easily, but this looks like a good deal - Seller offered it to me for $80 plus shipping - should I do it? Would this be a decent option for the next year or so until I may the plunge on a more legit computer? Note the computer died (but I'm hoping that just means I beed to replace the battery), and it comes with an SPG and compass (which I hope work)...

Personally, I wouldn't buy any computer that wasn't working 100% (which it, by definition, is not if the battery is dead).

I don't know that computer specifically. But, I do know that there are some dive computers out there that require going back to the factory for a battery replacement. If you are intent on buying it, at least confirm the exact model and find a manual for it and make sure you can change the battery yourself.

If the battery replacement is that cheap and easy, why would the seller NOT do it before trying to sell it. That kinda thing always makes me suspicious. Either, that they know the computer doesn't work or they know a battery replacement is not cheap and easy. Yes, it is certainly possible they just don't know and they just want it gone. But, caveat emptor.

Personally, I wouldn't buy any computer that wasn't working 100% (which it, by definition, is not if the battery is dead).

I don't know that computer specifically. But, I do know that there are some dive computers out there that require going back to the factory for a battery replacement. If you are intent on buying it, at least confirm the exact model and find a manual for it and make sure you can change the battery yourself.

If the battery replacement is that cheap and easy, why would the seller NOT do it before trying to sell it. That kinda thing always makes me suspicious. Either, that they know the computer doesn't work or they know a battery replacement is not cheap and easy. Yes, it is certainly possible they just don't know and they just want it gone. But, caveat emptor.
Gotcha - yea that makes a lot of sense. Last thing I need is to spend more money on a dud. Thanks for the advice! Will keep looking.

I think swaping color kit is extreme simple. Maybe just go slowly for the first item, or some you tube video first.

Another shout out for @Scared Silly , he is for sure one of the best, if not the the very best AA resource here. When I got my first AA reg, T1 first, Ti2 2nd, used, similar to your situation, he basically walked me through what to upgrade, which part to use, what are the options, where to buy them, Eventually, I have an equivalent of T2x 1st with Monel piston. 2nd stages of B2 equivalent with color match (blue) M1 wide tee and M1 heatsink. Sure it defects all the weight saving of Titanium, but they look very cool.

As noted, pass on the computer. You want to know it works. A Suunto Gecko is descent enough. I had a couple other Suunto computers for a while. But as said the seller needs to show it is working. Replacing the battery is easy. A shop will do it for ~$25 including the kit for it (new cover & o-ring). If it floods that puts the burden on the shop. User replacement is easy too just need to be sure of the o-ring sealing.

Replacing the bits for the color kit is easy. A hex wrench for the knob and a smallish 1/8" flat screwdriver for the exhaust. When you get the second stage flip it upside down. On either side of the exhaust you will see two slots the size of the screwdriver. Insert and gently pry up (do not twist) until you hear a click. Repeat on the other side. At that point the exhaust will come off. The new exhaust will go on the same way but in reverse.

About replacing the knob. They get beat up as such I would not worry too much about the current one if it is in descent condition. Just tuck the new one away, unless ya really gotta have the color match.

Awesome, thanks guys - this was immensely helpful.

Also great to know about the color kit...maybe I can talk myself into just biting the bullet now, if it's that easy haha

One more q if you all don't mind - I found an offer online for a used (read: beat up, but functional), Aeris Elite T3, with a Transmitter for $200.

200 was kind of my top, and I had wanted to get a computer that was AI compatible, and figured I'd buy the transmitter once I saved up more money, but this has both. However I did some research and it seems like the Aeris Elite T3 is really old (like 15+ years). Should I keep looking, or do we think it's worth taking the plunge? No pictures, but its from a scuba store website, so I assume it should be good?

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom