Atomic B2 v. Ti2, and AladdinPro Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh man, I can not believe that someone bought that. Here is what you have:
  • Ti1 first stage BUT the DIN fitting is brass. It looks to have the new jest seat piston.
  • The second is a Ti2 (plastic jam nut) that has B2 purge cover on it.
  • The other second stage is a Ti2 (rental unit) which is the precursor to the B1 now B2.
  • The computer is junk.
All circa early 2000s. I would not trust any of it has been serviced. You are going to spend some $$ to bring it up to being usable.

First stage - full overall $50+
B2 - full overall $50+
Ti2 - full overall $50+

The first stage will be NITROX or Air but not both. That is according to Atomic. However, some do both. However, my titanium regs are sealed with a monel piston and I run both (~$100). You can also pay to have it updated to a T2x for ~$250 and have AA blessing for both NITROX and air.

To replace the brass Din fitting with titanium DIN or yoke fitting on is going to cost $300+

You can make both second stages into true B2s with a color kit @ ~$40 each.
  • Could just put an updated gray exhaust on the Ti2 and use it as your primary.
  • The B2 needs the correct purge cover ring and and nice to have the updated exhaust - to do both might as well by the color kit.
You might need new hoses for both second stages.

I re-read, I think you did good. If this is your set of reg, get it serviced at dive shop and start diving it. Don't worry about the brass DIN wheel, the plastic jam nut on the Ti2, or even the facia of the 2nd stage if they are in working condition. Keep eye on classified, and get these pieces in as you go. If money isn't an issue, it will be very nice to do the list by Scared Silly.

Oh man, I can not believe that someone bought that. Here is what you have:
  • Ti1 first stage BUT the DIN fitting is brass. It looks to have the new jest seat piston.
  • The second is a Ti2 (plastic jam nut) that has B2 purge cover on it.
  • The other second stage is a Ti2 (rental unit) which is the precursor to the B1 now B2.
  • The computer is junk.
All circa early 2000s. I would not trust any of it has been serviced. You are going to spend some $$ to bring it up to being usable.

First stage - full overall $50+
B2 - full overall $50+
Ti2 - full overall $50+

The first stage will be NITROX or Air but not both. That is according to Atomic. However, some do both. However, my titanium regs are sealed with a monel piston and I run both (~$100). You can also pay to have it updated to a T2x for ~$250 and have AA blessing for both NITROX and air.

To replace the brass Din fitting with titanium DIN or yoke fitting on is going to cost $300+

You can make both second stages into true B2s with a color kit @ ~$40 each.
  • Could just put an updated gray exhaust on the Ti2 and use it as your primary.
  • The B2 needs the correct purge cover ring and and nice to have the updated exhaust - to do both might as well by the color kit.
You might need new hoses for both second stages.
so I got ripped off? Like I said I’m new to diving but want to get more involved, so I thought this was a good deal.

How much would it cost for these to be serviceable? Not necessarily titanium, but good enough to be safe and reliable?

so I got ripped off? Like I said I’m new to diving but want to get more involved, so I thought this was a good deal.

How much would it cost for these to be serviceable? Not necessarily titanium, but good enough to be safe and reliable?

No, you didn’t get ripped off.

I think even like it is, that titanium 1st stage is probably worth what you paid for everything, including the octo.

My take on what Scared Silly said is that for around $150 in servicing, you can have all 3 regs (1st and 2 2nds) ready to go.

You did not get ripped off just not the best deal given the unknowns. I have seen newer B2 reg set with a Z2 backup go for $550. You paid $450. For that extra $100 you would have newer regs (less wear), not have the unknown of the hoses ($60) and the unknown of the purge covers (they crack) thus color kits ($80). But you more or less got Ti reg.

As I noted you are looking at probably around $150+ to have everything fully serviced. The plus could be as much as another $100. Depends on what the shop charges for labor. Parts will run around $75 (~$25 for each stage). For instance, ScubaToys now charges $60 a stage plus parts. So ~$250. BUT that would be regardless of any reg set one would buy from eBay unless otherwise noted. Take the set into Divers Direct as they are an AA shop and get an estimate for basic service. Check with other local shops too.

One thing about da board is that there lots of folks that are willing to give an honest assessment before one makes a purchase. Full disclosure, I regularly have AA regs that I rebuild and sell on da board.

@DivingHeadFirst

Have it serviced at an authorized Atomic dealer. Aqui isn't afaik. @rsingler is one of the best dive equipment service technicians in the US and the resident regulator expert on SB. Get in touch with him for best service and advice.

I'd service and update everything. I'd also change the din connector to Ti if it isn't. Update everything to be current appropriate parts. You got a great deal to start with. Computer is junk, get a current computer.

Thanks @BoltSnap , I'll reach out to @rsingler and see where he recommends I service it - also am planning on going to Divers Direct this week (expected to get the Ti2 second stage tomorrow), to get an estimate for how much it would cost to repair - thanks @Scared Silly !

@stuartv and @Ouvea , thanks for all your posts and guidance thus far - all of you on this thread have been super generous with your time when you didn't need to be, and I'm quite grateful!

Honestly I'm running out of funds (my instructor who opened up a dive shop said it would cost $110 to certify, so I was banking on that), but I obviously will do what's needed to get this to be safe. I guess worst case is I (ironically) push off diving a bit, since my instructor asks for $75 a beach dive, and he's my only option until I find some dive buddies (all my friends are too scared to learn).

Given all you guys have said, is there any real difference between the "B2" I got (which we think is apparently a Ti2), and the Ti2 I ordered but haven't received yet? I'm stuck with the B2 'set', but do you recommend I return the Ti2 octo I paid $130 for? Is the Ti2 just an older/outdated version of the B2?

Honestly changing the DIN to titanium for $300 is kind of out of the cards for me - I've previously been diving with yokes, so I got a SS converter ($40 from amazon) just in case the LDS I rent from doesn't have DIN tanks, so perhaps I could use that in the interim if using the apparent brass covering really is such an issue? It may be in my head, but the converter seems bulkier than a standard yoke, and it'll probably whack me in the head, but I'll just scuba dive looking sideways for awhile :)

All of the Atomic regs are the same performance wise (except for the latest TFX). The only substantive difference is the materials. The second stages have a minor update (yours predate the update) but all of the parts are interchangeable. That is the beauty of AA regs. I update such reg sets regularly.

For instance, the B1/Z1 first stages with a piston change are then B2/Z2 first stages. Updating the Ti first stages is similar but with a few additional bits changed depending on the usage (air, NITROX, both). Your Ti looks to already have been updated to the jet seat SS piston which is good. Many do not even know about that update.

The Ti2/B1 second stages are easily updated to a B2. Same with the Z1 to a Z2/Z3. That is all cosmetic. Though the slightly wide exhaust is nice.

I would not return any of it. As noted get the basic service done and go dive them. Then watch for color kits of your liking on sale (sometimes shops have kits from customers who swapped out). That may come sooner than later as the purge covers often crack. Which why the B2 is kind of bastardized they replaced the purge cover but not the ring so it looks funny. Every once in awhile used Ti DIN/Yoke fittings come up for sale on eBay. But they go quick.

@DivingHeadFirst: It is clear that you are on a very tight budget. Nothing wrong with that! Props to you for not letting a tight budget completely stop you from diving!

You definitely do not NEED to do things like change that brass DIN fitting to titanium.

If the DIN-to-yoke adapter is hitting you in the back of the head, lower your tank in the cam band until it doesn't. No big deal.

When you receive your octo, take the whole set to someplace (whether it's Aqui or Diver's Direct or wherever) and get it looked at. A competent tech can evaluate it all and tell you if it actually needs to be serviced (i.e. needs to have a service kit installed). There is a fair chance none of it actually needs to be serviced. But, depending on who looks at it, well, some places might tell you it needs to be serviced, even though it really doesn't.

Whatever you do on that, once the regs are ready to dive, you need people to dive with. So, look into diving at the Blue Heron Bridge. Go visit some local shops like Force-E, Pura Vida, and Stuart Scuba. Look on the forums and/or Facebook for people who dive at the BHB. Diving the BHB is great. Tons of interesting critters to see, and it's a shallow shore dive. So, free and very easy for new people. And being shallow, you can get nice, long dives. You'll probably limited by the tide, not your tank. I think regulars there are often quite willing to lead a newb around and show you the sights. Those local area shops sometimes organize group visits there. Or, can connect you to local groups that dive there.

@DivingHeadFirst: It is clear that you are on a very tight budget. Nothing wrong with that! Props to you for not letting a tight budget completely stop you from diving!

You definitely do not NEED to do things like change that brass DIN fitting to titanium.

If the DIN-to-yoke adapter is hitting you in the back of the head, lower your tank in the cam band until it doesn't. No big deal.

When you receive your octo, take the whole set to someplace (whether it's Aqui or Diver's Direct or wherever) and get it looked at. A competent tech can evaluate it all and tell you if it actually needs to be serviced (i.e. needs to have a service kit installed). There is a fair chance none of it actually needs to be serviced. But, depending on who looks at it, well, some places might tell you it needs to be serviced, even though it really doesn't.

Whatever you do on that, once the regs are ready to dive, you need people to dive with. So, look into diving at the Blue Heron Bridge. Go visit some local shops like Force-E, Pura Vida, and Stuart Scuba. Look on the forums and/or Facebook for people who dive at the BHB. Diving the BHB is great. Tons of interesting critters to see, and it's a shallow shore dive. So, free and very easy for new people. And being shallow, you can get nice, long dives. You'll probably limited by the tide, not your tank. I think regulars there are often quite willing to lead a newb around and show you the sights. Those local area shops sometimes organize group visits there. Or, can connect you to local groups that dive there.

Thanks! This is all super helpful (and quite reassuring). I'll definitely do that, and fingers crossed I get someone honest/someone who has mercy on my soul wallet, and will only ask to pay for what actually needs to get done.

Thanks so much for the rec! BHB appears to be about an 1 hr 15 min from me (I'm in Hollywood), but if that's where I need to be to find other divers, I'm willing to do it!

Finally, thanks to everyone on here for their wisdom and advice - the world would be a better place if everyone was as kind and generous as the peeps on this forum are. Just in case you're curious, I'll report back on how much I had to spend for everything (as well as any other info they give me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom