Atomic B2 Vs Sherwood Sr2

Voice your opinion!!!!

• Atomic B2

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Sherwood SR2

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cireson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I have been looking at an Atomic B2 first and second for $539, but am torn because I can pick up an SR2 first, second, and octo for $510. All are used, but from respected retailers. During my class I had used the SR1, but cannot find anything out there on SR2 reviews. I understand that the Atomic is superior, but for the price was just curious on outside opinions. Other factor is that I have no LDS that deals with Atomic. Mostly diving in VA in lakes and quarrys if that matters.

I've always had good luck with Sherwood, but have older Magnums and Blizzards. The important part is having a shop that can take good care of your gear if you don't service it yourself.

Bob

You can always send your atomic regs to the factory to get serviced.

I think it maybe tough to find people with extensive experience with both. I have Atomic B2 and not include. I am very happy with Atomic. I have no problem recommending it. Having that said, if I were to do it all over again, I will go with Z2 instead. I don't think Titanium 2nd stage is worth the extra cost in practices if you are somewhat reasonable at cleaning your equipments. If you dive in colder water, Ti is arguably a disadvantage due to poor head conductivity and lighter weight.

I have both. The SR2 was my first reg...based on a dive store's recommendation to a noobie. My daughter and I got them. They have been good regs but not great once I started to dive deeper. A few years ago I bought my B2s. The Atomic's have been awesome. I frequently dive to 130 ft with them and they preform spotless.

The Sherwoods are now my "pool" regs and the Atomic my "open water" regs.

Between the two, without seeing the actual regs, I would lean towards the Atomics. I got my wife Atomic Z2s for her everyday regs.

There should be an Atomic dealer nearby you can send it to. The service interval on a B2 is 2 years/300 dives assuming the seller is providing it serviced. phpDealerLocator

Atomic also has a regional service center in the Midwest

Regional Repair Centers

DiVentures
4303 S. 121st Plaza
Omaha, NE 68137

and Scubatoys is also a dealer and has a reg service program with a quick turnaround. Scuba Regulator Repair

Or maybe mail it to Coral Edge if you're not in the DC Metro area - Scuba Services, Training, Gear Rentals | Coral Edge Adventures

Factory service is more expensive but they do a really good job from what i've heard - even buffing out scratches etc.At one time the tech that assembled the reg initially did the service when it was sent in if they still worked there - IDK if they still do that...

Last edited:
Many people who have Atomics regs are fervent fans, no doubt about it. I have also encountered some equally enthusiastic Sherwood users. For the money, and what you would get for it, I would go with the Sherwoods. From my perspective, the Atomics are simply overpriced. I take Zeagles and Apeks regs to depth (200+) and have found that they breathe very well. I have also used a B2 at depth and found it performed well, but no better than either my Zeagles or Apeks. Obviously that is a subjective experience, but it is my personal experience. And, if your diving is ' mostly in VA in lakes and quarrys', I am not sure performance at depth will be a particular issue.

To their credit, Atomics makes it clear that, 'you are paying for the metal' (a quote from our Huish rep). And, I do see instances where poor user care and maintenance of second stages results in considerable surface corrosion involving the valve tube, which cleans up easily with proper ultrasonic treatment. (I have not seen pitting corrosion, nor had a case where a non-titanium tube did not easily clean up during routine service). So, from that perspective, I don't find that the extra expense of the titanium tube is justified by any service considerations (nor performance, as mentioned above). What I do find is that some users seem to think.that the general guidance to 'rinse your equipment thoroughly in fresh water after use' can be satisfied by splashing a few drops of water on the exterior of the second stage housing - they remind me of dry martini fans who 'wave the Vermouth' cork in the direction of the glass'.

Personally, I don't care for the integrated swivel on the Atomics regs. Although I do use an added (Omni) 360 degree swivel in certain situations (sidemount configuration), I haven't found a need for them in a single cylinder backmount configuration.
I understand that the Atomic is superior
I am not quite sure that this is true as a general statement. As far as corrosion resistance of the tube, I would agree, however. And, I do like some engineering aspects of Atomics regs (two o-rings on the second stage poppet, for example). However, I don't know that this improves the performance or even the reliability of the unit.
Other factor is that I have no LDS that deals with Atomic.
There are Atomics service options in Richmond and Northern VA, as well as the Norfolk / Va Beach area. If you live in the western part of the state, your options may be limited. You mentioned that the used Atomic regulator is available from a respected retailer. Is this not a local operation?

Many people who have Atomics regs are fervent fans, no doubt about it. I have also encountered some equally enthusiastic Sherwood users. For the money, and what you would get for it, I would go with the Sherwoods. From my perspective, the Atomics are simply overpriced. I take Zeagles and Apeks regs to depth (200+) and have found that they breathe very well. I have also used a B2 at depth and found it performed well, but no better than either my Zeagles or Apeks. Obviously that is a subjective experience, but it is my personal experience. And, if your diving is ' mostly in VA in lakes and quarrys', I am not sure performance at depth will be a particular issue.

To their credit, Atomics makes it clear that, 'you are paying for the metal' (a quote from our Huish rep). And, I do see instances where poor user care and maintenance of second stages results in considerable surface corrosion involving the valve tube, which cleans up easily with proper ultrasonic treatment. (I have not seen pitting corrosion, nor had a case where a non-titanium tube did not easily clean up during routine service). So, from that perspective, I don't find that the extra expense of the titanium tube is justified by any service considerations (nor performance, as mentioned above). What I do find is that some users seem to think.that the general guidance to 'rinse your equipment thoroughly in fresh water after use' can be satisfied by splashing a few drops of water on the exterior of the second stage housing - they remind me of dry martini fans who 'wave the Vermouth' cork in the direction of the glass'.

Personally, I don't care for the integrated swivel on the Atomics regs. Although I do use an added (Omni) 360 degree swivel in certain situations (sidemount configuration), I haven't found a need for them in a single cylinder backmount configuration. I am not quite sure that this is true as a general statement. As far as corrosion resistance of the tube, I would agree, however. And, I do like some engineering aspects of Atomics regs (two o-rings on the second stage poppet, for example). However, I don't know that this improves the performance or even the reliability of the unit. There are Atomics service options in Richmond and Northern VA, as well as the Norfolk / Va Beach area. If you live in the western part of the state, your options may be limited. You mentioned that the used Atomic regulator is available from a respected retailer. Is this not a local operation?

The dealer is located in CA and I have dealt with them before and never had any problems. It is also not sealed if that would be an issue. I am a still a newer diver as far as dives go so some things are still newish to me.

I am diving on the SW side of VA and the closest AA dealer is 3+ hours according to the site. I am a newer diver so was wondering if the bang for buck would even be there if I cant dive every weekend.

How close is your nearest shop and what lines do they sell/service. If proximity is an issue for you then I suggest you find something they can work on and buy that instead. if you like Atomic but not the price, a new Z2 is $409 and you won't be able to tell the difference in breathing - as posted above - it's the metal. Titanium is expensive and harder to work with - why the T3 is $1699 - it's all Ti...

Also sealed might be a better option as quarries get pretty cold in the winter and are certainly extremely silty as well. Buy a diaphragm reg and unless you go near freezing - the diaphragm itself provides a lot of internal corrosion - and some freezing - protection since on most all the critical parts are behind the diaphragm.

Personally I think the 2nd stage swivel is the best feature on Atomic regs - plus the Ti components in the 2nd stage make it lighter than some.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom